Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Women who eat a ton without gaining.... page

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

Women who eat a ton without gaining....

Shop Now
    I'm considering a campaign of overeating to restore my metabolism like the restrictive eating recovery diets for eating disorder patients.

I'm curious about women who have never tried to lower calories or over exercise and have spent their lives eating as much as they felt like and have maintained a nice lean body doing so. Anyone?

I'm certainly sick of dieting. It has only ever made me fatter. It is starting to make more and more sense to me that overeating at first (to restore what my body has been needing and to repair the damage) and then afterward eating to hunger (still of nice good paleo foods) would result in a weight gain at first but then when my body gets the message that the food is going to continue coming, the fat will go away and extra calories after that are just burned off as heat (and energy for me!).

If the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result, then I would be insane to continue trying to lose weight based on calories, food choices and macronutrient ratios.

So has anyone else given this a good long try? Are you someone that has never felt the need to diet because you have always been lean yet have eaten all that you have wanted to?

I'll be aiming for a minimum of 2400 calories a day.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    does this mean you will eat even if not hungry?

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I'm considering a campaign of overeating to restore my metabolism like the restrictive eating recovery diets for eating disorder patients.

I'll be aiming for a minimum of 2400 calories a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    does this mean you will eat even if not hungry?
    It would seem so. Good choice, OP. I wish you best of luck.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Well good luck with it. I know for me, its a recipe for disaster, and over eating is how I got so over weight.
    But you never know, we are all different, and different things work for different people so it could work.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I reckon it sounds like a sound plan. If nothing else it'll help you tune back into your body's natural signals. I'd be very interested to hear how it goes.

I think plenty of us became overweight by overeating - but in my case by overeating the wrong things, and then dieting, and then crashing and overeating the wrong things etc, etc, etc...for many years....until I got to the point where I just couldn't face another diet.

Keep us posted.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I'm curious about women who have never tried to lower calories or over exercise and have spent their lives eating as much as they felt like and have maintained a nice lean body doing so. Anyone?
    Not since childhood. In those days I never thought about calories or exercise and was always lean.

From late teens if I ate whatever I felt like, I would gain weight. If I ate less I would lose, if I exercised I would get stronger/fitter but I never learned to obtain or maintain a lean body.

I still never count calories, but what I like is primal food and I eat as much of it as I feel like. I lift some weights without over exercising and maintain a body that is "lean enough".

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Nobody ever eats a ton without gaining except for the very fortunate few with high metabolism or the growing bodily needs of the young. If you see someone super skinny and eating massive piles of food and get jealous of their seemingly bottomless metabolism, don't. You don't know how they eat the rest of the time, that could be their one indulgence for the day or for the week. I have been slim my whole life because I mainly eat one meal a day and a lot of people would have envied me in my youth for being able to stay below 100 while drinking cocktails and eating chicken wings at happy hour. I stayed thin then because I was walking around campus all day and that was my only meal.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I am always reading on boards like this about 'restoring metabolism' or 'fixing broken metabolism' when the posters have absolutely no idea whether or not they have a problem.

Because I'm hypothyroid, I see an excellent endo regularly, and we've discussed the metabolism issue. It's individual to the person, and it is not as much under our 'control' as we like to imagine. The specific 'refeeding' of people with EDs is always under medical supervision and is a specialized case. With the exception of people who have had serious ED issues over a number of years, most of us have the metabolism we were born with. The key is understanding how that metabolism works--i.e., what level of food we require to manage out weight in accord with our goals.

What individuals need to do is learn how their own metabolism functions. For example, since I'm both hypothyroid and post-menopausal, my metabolism is much slower than when I was healthy and in my 30s. However, having been morbidly obese my entire life and extremely carb sensitive, my endo believes I also have a 'genetically slow metabolism.'

I lost close to 200 lbs over the past few years by learning to work with my unique metabolism. I now eat less than I ever imagined I would, but I've discovered that my body is totally satisfied with this amount of food because it's all that I require to maintain my now 'normal' weight.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    PaleoMom~
    You may be better off focusing on nutrient density rather than just calories.

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    I am 5' 3" and often eat 2000 calories or a bit more. When I read other posts, many women my size are staying below 1500. That low is rare for me. Keeping it lower carb keeps my weight in check. In fact, that's my strategy when I travel for work. Keep low carb and I come home with no weight gain.

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast