Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: Women who eat a ton without gaining.... page 50

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nice results, YogaBare.

I haven't been as diligent in recording statistics and I haven't weighed myself at all, before, during or after. But my experience was this:

1. Eating as much as I possibly could of simple, real foods (meat, sweet potatoes, avocados, vegetables for the vast majority) and not counting or limiting portions, macros or anything seemed to result in absolutely no change whatsoever in my weight except possibly slightly downward as measured by the fit of my clothes.

2. After a few weeks of the above, I bought some chocolate and had some wine. Ooops. Now I wanted chocolate and wine every day. So I had some every day for about 2 weeks, I noticed that whatever microscopic amount of weight I had lost came back. But it took almost 3 weeks to see the difference. It was not immediate.

This lag time between my eating and the results of it seems to be very consistent. I've noticed this before. It's always around 2 weeks to see any effects of anything I do.

So, no more wine and chocolate. I'd rather just be able to eat as much as I can of simple primal foods and not worry about my weight.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Wow, great results, YogaBare! Just out of curiosity, what are you planning to do now? Are you going back to some kind of restriction? I ask because I'm wondering if I should start restricting again (at least a little). Last time I checked, I had only gained one pound since I stopped restricting (I haven't been making an effort to eat a ton, just ate to satiation, which I guess is a ton by normal standards, but I haven't been counting calories at all so have no idea how much I've been eating). Although I haven't gained much weight, I haven't lost any either, and my clothes continue to not fit well. So I really need to lose weight, and it looks like working out alone is not working this time around. I'm not sure what the hell is wrong with me. Upping workouts has always worked for me in the past.
    Serenity, I'm currently 12lbs over my normal weight, which happened as a result of a severe relapse into an ED with the transition to Primal eating. I realised that restriction is an absolute disaster for me. So no - no more rules, no more restricting.

Being free to eat as much and whenever I want has resulted in me eating smaller meals more frequently. I've never done that before, but it seems to be what my body likes. I'm also naturally cycling calories. Many people believe is a great way to drop weight.

With this experience I have gained the belief that if you nourish your body really well everything balances out. You body wants to be healthy and lean: loving yourself, trusting your body, and eating with the rhythms of your appetite will get you there. Sometimes that requires overeating in order to heal.

Now I'm off to play my guitar around the camp fire and hug a few trees...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Nice results, YogaBare.

I haven't been as diligent in recording statistics and I haven't weighed myself at all, before, during or after. But my experience was this:

1. Eating as much as I possibly could of simple, real foods (meat, sweet potatoes, avocados, vegetables for the vast majority) and not counting or limiting portions, macros or anything seemed to result in absolutely no change whatsoever in my weight except possibly slightly downward as measured by the fit of my clothes.

2. After a few weeks of the above, I bought some chocolate and had some wine. Ooops. Now I wanted chocolate and wine every day. So I had some every day for about 2 weeks, I noticed that whatever microscopic amount of weight I had lost came back. But it took almost 3 weeks to see the difference. It was not immediate.

This lag time between my eating and the results of it seems to be very consistent. I've noticed this before. It's always around 2 weeks to see any effects of anything I do.

So, no more wine and chocolate. I'd rather just be able to eat as much as I can of simple primal foods and not worry about my weight.
    CICO? Hmmm
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    With this experience I have gained the belief that if you nourish your body really well everything balances out. You body wants to be healthy and lean: loving yourself, trusting your body, and eating with the rhythms of your appetite will get you there. Sometimes that requires overeating in order to heal.
    This exactly.
    You still need to do some research and testing to determine if there are any specific areas of nutrition you need to focus on, but the focus is on nutrition and well being of body and mind.

Another way of looking at it like a body renovation.
    Like a building site when doing a major renovation, you need to have a good supply of building materials and yes things may look a bit messy with all the scaffolding, temporary bracing, big packs of timber and bricks everywhere, but it's the only way you can do it, you can't do it by only supplying one brick per day, eventually as the renovation comes to completion all the excess starts to fall away, the waste is removed and one can begin to admire the beauty of the finished form.

Congratulations to all.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Somebody should write a whole book with this as the premise. They could call it "The Primal Blueprint" or something.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I just want to chime in, I honestly think CICO was dreamed up by Coca-Cola or McDonald's or some other junk food company as a way to convince people that 100 calories of soda is the same as 100 calories of broccoli. It's clearly nonsense. I'm sure most of us here know that, but it's sad how few out in the 'real world' do...

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    So I read this thread when it begain, and then it got away from me - is there a verdict yet? Has anyone managed to re-regulate their metabolism by eating more?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    So I read this thread when it begain, and then it got away from me - is there a verdict yet? Has anyone managed to re-regulate their metabolism by eating more?
    Read below

Serenity, I'm currently 12lbs over my normal weight, which happened as a result of a severe relapse into an ED with the transition to Primal eating. I realised that restriction is an absolute disaster for me. So no - no more rules, no more restricting.

Being free to eat as much and whenever I want has resulted in me eating smaller meals more frequently. I've never done that before, but it seems to be what my body likes. I'm also naturally cycling calories. Many people believe is a great way to drop weight.

Now I'm off to play my guitar around the camp fire and hug a few trees...
    Hey everyone,

Well, I came to the end of four weeks of "eating a ton" and it felt like the right time to stop. I thought you might be interested to hear my final stats...

Fad Duration:
    17th March - 12th April => 27 Days

Calories consumed:
    Total: 83784 cals. On average, 3103.1 cals per day.

Exercise:
    During this period I probably walked for an hour a day and did yoga for 45 mins a day. But there was a good 10 days when I did nothing.

Weight:
    I only weighed myself a few times throughout the process: at the start, mid way, and at the end. Unfortunately the mid way weigh ins were on a different set of scales, but the start and end scales were the same.

Starting weight: 60.5 Kgs (133 lbs)
    Mid weight: 64 kgs (141 lbs)
    End weight: 61.5 Kgs (135.2lbs....!)

I couldn't believe it when I stepped on the scales on the morning of April the 13th and saw that from start to end, I only gained 2.2lbs. It didn't seem possible.

Change in my measurements:
    Thighs and waist: No change
    Lower thighs: lost a little
    Hips: gained half an inch
    Chest: gained a full inch (yay!)
    Stomach: gained a full inch ()

There are a few options:

1) The scales I weighed myself on mid-way were wrong, and my weight didn't change for the duration of the experiment
    2) I lost the weight I gained very rapidly (I suspect this might be it)
    3) I lost muscle and gained fat (I don't think this is the case as I'm stronger than before and have more visible muscle)

Here's my Calorie Breakdown:
    Attachment 11292

As you can see, after a mid-point, my calorie consumption began to decrease. I always ate however much I wanted - just went with the flow of my appetite. After a certain point, this resulted in cycling calories. I only went under 2K cals once.

Does this mean my metabolism improved? In the past, 2k cals was a huge amount of food to me, and would definitely make me gain. Now I'm anticipating that I'll be losing on 2K cals a day. It will be interesting to keep following this and see what happens. I'm sure some of the CICO people (if they've bothered reading this) will have something to say...

In addition to the nourishment factor, this experiment has helped me enormously with some of my food hang ups and has taught me that the most important thing in diet is to know and listen to the rhythms of your body.

Big ups to Paleomom for being a visionary and starting this inspirational N=1!
    From the last page and a half, definately a move in the right direction IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Somebody should write a whole book with this as the premise. They could call it "The Primal Blueprint" or something.
    It's true! Reading Mark's book, he's actually quite flexible about a lot of things. He says "Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're not". No mention of eating like a predator. The book allows room for individual wriggle.

THe only thing I don't agree with is that only highly active people should eat more than 150g carbs. I think once people have weaned themselves off junk food, they should listen to their bodies and eat what they need.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    This exactly.
    You still need to do some research and testing to determine if there are any specific areas of nutrition you need to focus on, but the focus is on nutrition and well being of body and mind.

Another way of looking at it like a body renovation.
    Like a building site when doing a major renovation, you need to have a good supply of building materials and yes things may look a bit messy with all the scaffolding, temporary bracing, big packs of timber and bricks everywhere, but it's the only way you can do it, you can't do it by only supplying one brick per day, eventually as the renovation comes to completion all the excess starts to fall away, the waste is removed and one can begin to admire the beauty of the finished form.

Congratulations to all.
    Well said. And thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I just want to chime in, I honestly think CICO was dreamed up by Coca-Cola or McDonald's or some other junk food company as a way to convince people that 100 calories of soda is the same as 100 calories of broccoli. It's clearly nonsense. I'm sure most of us here know that, but it's sad how few out in the 'real world' do...
    You know what we need? A thread about CICO. I'm sure it would set the record straight once-and-for-all

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Today was my weekly weigh in and I'm down another .6 which gives me an average loss of 1/2 pound a week. I'm eating around twice as many calories as I used to. I've stopped pushing food like I did in the beginning but I still eat when I'm hungry and I don't stop until satisfied. Very little physical activity has taken place.

My temperature is up. I'm in the cold half of the month and my morning temps are 98.4 most days. During the warmer half my temp was regularly 98.6-99 with only a few days that went below that.

I think I would still be gaining if I was still pushing the food but by backing off as my hunger decreased, I feel like I'm in a balanced place of eating as much as my body asks for and now starting to finally lose a few pounds. I don't have cravings, I don't binge. My energy has been down for a good portion of this but I feel like it has a lot to do with my hydration level.
    I've been drinking more and trying to keep my body warm during the day to keep my daytime temp up and that seems to be increasing my absorption of water and my energy seems to be going back up again.

If my energy keeps coming back up and my weight keeps slipping down I'll consider this a very successful experiment that I would recommend to others. It is a wonderful thing to be able to eat a normal amount of food!

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast