Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Women who eat a ton without gaining.... page 46

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to stop in and share how eating more has helped me over the past few weeks. I started to consciously increase my calories in order to stop binging and not only is it working, but I'm seeing other benefits as well.

I have never consciously deprived myself of calories in my life, but I've come to the conclusion that I hadn't been eating enough. I recently tracked my calories over the course of a few days and found that I was eating about 1400 per day. I was wondering why I would go on these binging sprees (all primal food, mostly starches and nuts) and now I guess I know why.

These binges would never cause me to gain weight but they made me bloated and anxious. I hypothesized that if I forced myself to eat three large meals per day--whether I was hungry or not--I could break the cycle. I am not overeating or eating beyond stuffed (I've estimated most days to be between 1700-2000 cals) but it is much more than I had been eating on most non-binge days prior to this experiment. Not only do I seem to have achieved what I was after, but my energy has increased significantly which has led me to actually be able to and want to exercise. And my hands and feet (or handsicles and feetsicles, as I like to call them) actually feel like they belong to a living human being now.

I had not weighed myself in roughly four months, so I don't know how much of these past few weeks have contributed to this, but my weight has gone up from 108lb to 114lb, which may be my highest weight ever. However, without the scale, I never would have known! I haven't really gotten any bigger; I think it is part muscle, part bloat (I have been eating some things my stomach doesn't like, recently). Pretty neat.

I know this story is mildly tangential, but I wanted to share since I probably never would have gone through with this experiment if I hadn't been convinced by you all that purposefully increasing my calories wouldn't bring on the apocalypse, so thank you.

Most of you seem to be doing well and I'm rooting for all of your success. Cheers to treating ourselves right.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to stop in and share how eating more has helped me over the past few weeks. I started to consciously increase my calories in order to stop binging and not only is it working, but I'm seeing other benefits as well.

I have never consciously deprived myself of calories in my life, but I've come to the conclusion that I hadn't been eating enough. I recently tracked my calories over the course of a few days and found that I was eating about 1400 per day. I was wondering why I would go on these binging sprees (all primal food, mostly starches and nuts) and now I guess I know why.

These binges would never cause me to gain weight but they made me bloated and anxious. I hypothesized that if I forced myself to eat three large meals per day--whether I was hungry or not--I could break the cycle. I am not overeating or eating beyond stuffed (I've estimated most days to be between 1700-2000 cals) but it is much more than I had been eating on most non-binge days prior to this experiment. Not only do I seem to have achieved what I was after, but my energy has increased significantly which has led me to actually be able to and want to exercise. And my hands and feet (or handsicles and feetsicles, as I like to call them) actually feel like they belong to a living human being now.

I had not weighed myself in roughly four months, so I don't know how much of these past few weeks have contributed to this, but my weight has gone up from 108lb to 114lb, which may be my highest weight ever. However, without the scale, I never would have known! I haven't really gotten any bigger; I think it is part muscle, part bloat (I have been eating some things my stomach doesn't like, recently). Pretty neat.

I know this story is mildly tangential, but I wanted to share since I probably never would have gone through with this experiment if I hadn't been convinced by you all that purposefully increasing my calories wouldn't bring on the apocalypse, so thank you.

Most of you seem to be doing well and I'm rooting for all of your success. Cheers to treating ourselves right.
    Thanks for sharing your success! Very happy to hear it
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    @YogaBare - go back to the eatopia site I sent you to and look up extreme hunger. That is totally normal to have after depriving yourself. Once the body gets the picture that you are feeding it, it will get super hungry and start to ask for all that it's been missing out on.
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks Paleomom For the last two days I've literally been getting pains from hunger. This whole experience is just so weird.
    Paleomom, I read a lot on that site last night and... wow. It totally described what I'm going through. I was getting so confused but the theory kind of makes sense. I'm literally getting really painful hunger pangs every three - four hours, and they don't go away until I eat. I tried ignoring them but two hours later they were still there.

Last night I woke up at 1.30 am and couldn't get back to sleep til I ate... even though I'd finished eating at 8pm!

This process is up and down and when you start gaining it's hard to remember why you started. The article reminded me, and gave me permission to eat.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 03-23-2013 at 04:35 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Just touching base, still following the thread, nothing really to add except encouragement, hope you guys can find a place where you are comfortable, I firmly believe our bodies will tell us when we have gotten it right, there is a lot of healing that our brains can't manage, the body needs to be released to do what it does best.
    As I have mentioned earlier, my partner is slightly cuddly, but does not and has never counted calories and eats to satiety, she does not gain or lose it is her place. I do suspect though in the near future she may actually drop a bit, her thyroid condition is improving and there are some indications that her fat metabolism might be ramping up.
    So just a big cheer and will be following progress, good on you all.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    @ombat - I'm glad this thread has helped you! Thanks for sharing your experience with us, it really helps me to keep going.

@YogaBare - I'm really glad you went back to that site, it seemed like something you should read, especially after I read some of your journal. I just read Matt Stone's Metabolism book, which was good but the best part was the addendum he added. It was full of things to now ignore in the book and more goodness about basically loving yourself and treating yourself well. I thought the addendum was the best part of the book and it really touched me deeply in a new way.

I'm not going to weigh or measure any more. I already stopped tracking my food and spending all my time researching. I have continued to follow this thread of course and I check in on Matt's blog but that is about it. I've gone from spending most of my time on food related activity to spending about 30 minutes a day. DH said he hopes I don't lose what I've gained, even the stomach. This gave me pause and after some thought I really realized how much I'm creating stress for myself. No more.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Thank you, YogaBare and PaleoMom!

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I'm not going to weigh or measure any more. I already stopped tracking my food and spending all my time researching. I have continued to follow this thread of course and I check in on Matt's blog but that is about it. I've gone from spending most of my time on food related activity to spending about 30 minutes a day. DH said he hopes I don't lose what I've gained, even the stomach. This gave me pause and after some thought I really realized how much I'm creating stress for myself. No more.
    This is really exciting. Good for you! :]

Bumpity-bump-bump.

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing? Are you still eating a ton?

I'm still consistently between 3+3.5K a day. Not weighing myself or taking my temp so not sure what's happening there, but I'm pretty sure I'm gaining, and I'm still cold all the time. Waiting for my appetite to decrease, but nope - it's still voracious!

I may need to accept that I now have a curvy woman's body.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Just touching base, still following the thread, nothing really to add except encouragement, hope you guys can find a place where you are comfortable, I firmly believe our bodies will tell us when we have gotten it right, there is a lot of healing that our brains can't manage, the body needs to be released to do what it does best.
    As I have mentioned earlier, my partner is slightly cuddly, but does not and has never counted calories and eats to satiety, she does not gain or lose it is her place. I do suspect though in the near future she may actually drop a bit, her thyroid condition is improving and there are some indications that her fat metabolism might be ramping up.
    So just a big cheer and will be following progress, good on you all.
    Thanks Omni! Really appreciate the encouragement and support The idea that eating a lot might be a challenge is pretty weird, but this is so against what we've always been taught to do. There's a very strong instinctive "danger" signal that goes off.

Sad really, how messed up the simple act of eating has become for many, many people.

- Ray Peat

billycraig is offline Junior Member
    Firstly thanks for the comment about me, really made me laugh especially the ignorant bit. Not a huge fan of forums myself but I felt inclined to join and set things a little straighter.

Stating that I'm "hugely ignorant" is pretty dammed rude and shows the degree of your own ignorance.

I believe the definition of ignorant is;

Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
    Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular.

If you actually read my blog you'd probably of noticed a few things.

It states that I have Asperger's, therefore I am hugely passionate about my interests and tend to write as I see it. It also states that I have dyslexia, so I find it pretty offensive that you find it fine to try and insult me despite your general lack of awareness or knowledge about me. I may be a little less educated than you and my ideas may not meet with your personal beliefs but theirs no need for such insulting comments. If you think I'm a jackass for having different opinions then just say it rather than using my grammar as a reason.

Pretty interesting that both my Asperger's (particularly anxiety) and my Dyslexia are far worse when my calories drop lower than I need, or train beyond the limits of my food intake. Hence my fascination with ensuring I intake exactly what I need to function. Yep thats right I encourage people to avoid cutting back on food, eating low calorie etc. That brings me to my final point, I'm not really a proponant of stuffing ones face, nor am I the "6000 calorie" diet guy that I'm made out to be. The whole basis of my self experimentation was to prove a theory about consistency rather than a need to limit intake. The basis of my work is that I work out what an individual needs based upon certain factors (including psychological factors) and then work with them to help them maintain some sort of consistency. Again if you'd read the posts you'd of noticed that I do not recommend force feeding or over eating (if you check my eating disorder posts I actually mention that its probably the worst thing that one can do).

Anyway, good luck with your diet/fitness quest I'll read with interest your updates (don't worry about spelling though as I probably won't notice anyway). Apologies for my ignorance, I just wanted to set the record straight so that anyone who does read my anecdotes realises that whilst I may not be the worlds most grammatically correct person but that doesn't mean I'm ignorant.

Once again, thanks for the comment you have actually inspired me for a topic for my psychology dissertation.

Be well

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't believe that force-feeding calories is good. I think the food you eat a lot of needs to be meat, vegetables and carbohydrates in the form of potatoes or fruit or other similar things.

I have no intention of eating even more than I do. If anyone wants to experiment with stuffing themselves, or force-feeding calories, be my guest.

The Billy Craig site gives me pause because the man cannot spell worth a damn. All his grammatical and spelling errors make him come off as hugely ignorant plus his articles have a lot of anecdotes and what-if scenarios but pretty much don't actually say anything.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Billy,
    Thanks for joining the thread! Your blog has inspired me on this journey. I understand that you don't continue to eat 6,000 calories, but reading about what happened when you did has reassured me as I've tried to up my intake by almost 3x. I felt like your experiment almost seems to point to a person's bodyfat going lower the MORE a person eats. P.S. I'd love to help and be part of the data you're collecting for your book.

YogaBare,
    I've been so quiet because I just been so darn tired. I got rid of the sprouted potatoes but the fatigue stayed and yesterday I had more palpitations. I'm wondering if I just need to cut them out all together. Before upping calories I didn't eat nightshades due to it causing me pain in the hands. I thought that with upping metabolism that perhaps I could tolerate them again. They haven't bothered my hands nearly as much as they used to but the palpitations aren't a good sign.
    My body temp is still .5 degree higher consistently than last month as the same time of my cycle. My appetite had crashed big time once my period started and I haven't been hungry since then. I've stopped tracking everyday to help rid myself of the OCD about food, but a few times I've plugged things in and been around 2,000-2,600. I'm right at ovulation and curious if my appetite will come back like crazy again. If it doesn't come back I'm not sure if I should be trying to push the intake more? Billy, I'd be curious of your opinion on this. I don't want to be allowing myself to fall back into restrictive eating. I'm trying to eat when I feel hungry and until I'm satisfied, but I have to admit that since my energy is so poor that cooking is more than I can handle. That leaves lots of baked potatoes, raw milk/cheese/yogurt, and fruit. I'm getting very little meat lately or veggies. I just don't have the energy to prepare food and clean up after it right now. That has lowered my interest in eating though so I'm hoping that I'm eating less because my body truly wants less right now and not because it is just so bored and uninterested in what is available to eat right now. I'm also so inactive and just staying in bed napping or sitting around reading, so reduced need for calories anyway I suppose.
    I weighed myself a few days back and measured (trying to do that less too) and I have continued to gain slightly, I'm up just over 10 pounds, but the measurements have not continued to get larger. I actually feel like I'm growing muscle just laying around even though I haven't used those muscles in over a month now. My libido is pretty high too, but not enough energy to go along with it. My skin is looking good and my sweat smells very different. I seem to actually get a BO type smell if I don't bathe for awhile. In the past I used to never smell that way but instead would have a metallic or cat piss type smell. That was probably TMI!
    Last edited by PaleoMom; 03-29-2013 at 09:47 AM.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Hello ladies - checking in

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I'm still consistently between 3+3.5K a day. Not weighing myself or taking my temp so not sure what's happening there, but I'm pretty sure I'm gaining, and I'm still cold all the time. Waiting for my appetite to decrease, but nope - it's still voracious!

I may need to accept that I now have a curvy woman's body.
    Or your body just may need more time to settle down...although curvy is wonderful I read through a bunch of stuff on the Eat More 2 Weigh Less website, related forums, etc...and for a full metabolism reset, they recommend 8 to 12 weeks before evaluating how you feel and seeing if your low metabolism symptoms have improved before even thinking about cutting back again. Like they say, it may not seem like a quick process, but in the grand scheme of your whole life, it's pretty inconsequential. And if going through this for four months now means I don't have to deal with food/diet-related asspain going forward, it's well worth it to me.

This is the start of week four for me...my weight has been stable for the past two weeks, now. I'm still eating a lot, although I find there are days where I feel hungry every two or three hours (and I've been doing my best to eat every time I feel hungry, circumstances permitting) and days where I'm just not all that interested in eating much of anything. I have noted physical improvements - my sleep is way better, some of the colour has returned to my face and the dark circles under my eyes are diminished and my temperature is up from when I started tracking last month (96.8 on 09Mar to 98.2 yesterday, although TOM is coming in about a week). As for being cold...sometimes I'm really cold (hands and feet, anyway) and sometimes, like right now, I'm fine. I think I feel cold less often than before, but it's not resolved itself entirely. I have noticed on occasion that when my hands and feet are cold my right hand and foot are colder than the left ones, which I find strange. I know it's not just me, either, because I'll touch my mister's arm with each and he can feel a noticeable difference. Who knows...

PaleoMom - it sucks to hear your energy is still in the dumps...I know how that feels and it's really hard to deal with. I've found that after the first week, my energy has been fairly stable and consistent; not crazy high where I'm bouncing off the walls or anything, but enough that I can go to the big nature reserve just up the road and hike to the top of the (long) hill and bomb around the trails for an hour and feel refreshed afterwards. Do you take any supplements at all? I wonder if, especially since you aren't getting a ton of variety in your food right now, there may be something like B vitamins to help your flagging energy? How about getting some help from the family with the cooking and cleanup (I know, most times it's just easier to do it yourself but when you can't...)? I do hope you find your answer

Anyhow, I'll just be keeping on for the foreseeable future...I know what I'm doing is helping which makes it easier (a very tiny bit) on those days where none of my clothes fit right and I just feel swollen and gross in my own skin. Thankfully, those aren't too frequent. And, hey, skirt season is almost upon us

Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast