Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Women who eat a ton without gaining.... page 44

Primal Fuel
    I've been overeating for the past week. Yesterday I was uncomfortably full. It actually hurt. An experience I don't want to repeat.

I thought I was making gains... by upping carbs, fat, starches... But I've lost weight. I'm now half a pound lower than when I started trying to gain weight! I'm really not happy.

I also haven't been working out as much, because of how lethargic I feel after eating.
    ‎"I've heard tell that what you imagine sometimes comes true " - Roald Dahl

“Keep making things and treating people well.”- Jason Gregory

"Don’t try to be different. Just be good. To be good is different enough."- Arthur Freed

5'6"
    24 year old female
    Current: Always between 115 and 119.
    Goal: Get ripped.
    My Journal

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I'm not suggesting any of these are causing your problem Leida but I just googled 'metallic taste in mouth' for my own edification, found a list of terrifying conditions with metallic taste as a symptom, was totally fascinated, and thought I'd share.

Discovery Health "Why is there a metallic taste in my mouth?"

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Why do you need to take morning temperature? Sorry, I must have missed it somewhere earlier in the thread.
    You don't need to or even have to take your morning temperature but some people do as a way to help get an idea of how well their metabolism is work and most women take their morning temperature to help determine where they are in their cycle.

Matt Stone recommends taking morning temperature as well as your temperature before and after meals as a way to evaluate metabolic health. He recommends a target morning temperature of 98 degrees - higher for women who are in the post ovulatory phase of their cycle. If you aren't hitting that, he provides measures to take to help increase your temperature and if those don't work, getting checked out for hypothyroidism.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thank you. I was taking my temperature when I was trying to get pg, and if it is not necessary, I am glad to never do it again, lol.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Good morning from rainy London folks

I bought a thermometer yesterday and just took my morning temperature (using Matt Stone's method): 95.9F. Can this be right?! I know my body has a lot of difficulty in regulating temperature (freeze in the cold, sweat profusely in the heat), but this seems really low.

Also, my good sleep is wearing off, even though I'm eating 3.5K cals a day (it's 5am here now, I woke up half an hour ago after going to bed at 12.30) It was like this yesterday too. And I'm waking up hungry, which is the kicker. I can understand waking up wanting breakfast when I'm starving myself, but 3.5K cals a day? Doesn't make sense...
    Thank you for sharing the RRARF pdf, YB...I'll plow through it this afternoon

Waking up hungry after not sleeping well makes sense...at least it usually seems to be the case with me. It's like the body is saying, okay, we didn't get enough time last night to fix stuff up, so I'mma need some extra energy today to push through, let's get this started!

@Amber - I'm sorry you're finding this process so frustrating (and I mean everything you've been trying lately, not just this specifically). I can't offer much in the way of personal advice - not weighing enough hasn't ever been an issue for me. All I would suggest is trying to focus on the most calorie and nutrient dense foods you can think of and just eating as much as you're comfortable with - not stuffing yourself so you feel gross, but maybe eating more frequently throughout the day will help? I wish you luck...I wish ALL of us luck, in finally sorting all this out and being the healthiest people we can be right now.

@Leida - body temperature is an indicator of metabolic function...low body temp can mean some degree of metabolic dysfunction. I started taking my temp to see if this 'refeeding' experiment will help raise my body temperature, therefore indicating a positive correction in my metabolic function.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    Prior to your initiative to "eat the food", were you or had you been eating particularly low calorie and low carb?

95.9 is not a normal temperature at all. There are a few reasons you could have this temperature:
    1) you slept with mouth open - mouth breathing can generate an inaccurate read
    2) your thermometer battery is low (assuming it's digital)
    3) your thermometer was really cold and didn't have time to warm up to your actual temperature before beeping (assuming again that it's digital). In this situation, Matt Stone recommends warming up the tip of the thermometer with your hand for a few seconds to avoid false readings.
    4) you're hypothyroid
    Thanks for your reply NDF

Answers:

I stopped eating low carb in December, and since then have been pretty high cal apart from a short period of restriction at the end of Feb. I've had an ED for about 13 years though.

1) Don't sleep with mouth open (as far as I know)
    2) Brand new thermometer
    3) Warmed it up for about a minute before using.
    4) Seem to have some of the symptoms Getting my bloods done next week.

I checked my temp last night and it was about the same... but I didn't pay much attention cos' I thought I might just be cold.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Thank you for sharing the RRARF pdf, YB...I'll plow through it this afternoon

Waking up hungry after not sleeping well makes sense...at least it usually seems to be the case with me. It's like the body is saying, okay, we didn't get enough time last night to fix stuff up, so I'mma need some extra energy today to push through, let's get this started!
    Yeah, peeps say it has to do with ghrelin. Idk, but normally I when I eat this much I sleep like a baby. In fact, anything over 2k I normally sleep a lot better - certainly not 4 hours. I don't understand how I'm eating one and half times more than that and still having problems...

You're welcome for the book! It's a good read.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    You don't need to or even have to take your morning temperature but some people do as a way to help get an idea of how well their metabolism is work and most women take their morning temperature to help determine where they are in their cycle.

Matt Stone recommends taking morning temperature as well as your temperature before and after meals as a way to evaluate metabolic health. He recommends a target morning temperature of 98 degrees - higher for women who are in the post ovulatory phase of their cycle. If you aren't hitting that, he provides measures to take to help increase your temperature and if those don't work, getting checked out for hypothyroidism.
    I thought I was supposed to be aiming for 98.8 or higher. So am a good with my 98.1 I always get recently? I take it about 8 am. I know it would be lower earlier in the morning, so not sure when to take it for comparison with what Matt says...

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    @YogaBare - go back to the eatopia site I sent you to and look up extreme hunger. That is totally normal to have after depriving yourself. Once the body gets the picture that you are feeding it, it will get super hungry and start to ask for all that it's been missing out on.

That temp is super low, sounds like it really good that you are doing this!

@Amber - I'm sorry there is such a lack of advice for you! You are proving the theory of this thread nicely, but perhaps there aren't many good ways to gain fat with a healthy lifestyle. Are you able to put on muscle?

Quote Originally Posted by amber_maiden View Post
    I've been overeating for the past week. Yesterday I was uncomfortably full. It actually hurt. An experience I don't want to repeat.

I thought I was making gains... by upping carbs, fat, starches... But I've lost weight. I'm now half a pound lower than when I started trying to gain weight! I'm really not happy.

I also haven't been working out as much, because of how lethargic I feel after eating.
    Hey Amber,

Sorry to hear you're not doing so well with it! Tbh, it's possible that you lost some muscle rather than fat... is there any way you can check?

- Ray Peat

Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast