Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Women who eat a ton without gaining.... page 42

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Dunno if it is relevant now that thread run away a page ahead, but cut folks have very tight look, you can see the muscle firm surface under the skin. My 'definition' on the upper part of the RA (and on the thigh) reads like a soft 'buldge' the effect being soft due to the layer of fat over it. I believe it is described as a 'smooth' look like body builders are supposed to have off-season.
    Ah okay. What's happening with me is different. When I suck in now, my"two pack" is much more razor sharp. And as I mentioned, my calves are looking really sculpted! It's all weird. Maybe it's the body brushing?

Also, there is something exceedingly weird happening for the past 3 days - I get persistent metallic/blood taste in my mouth. Please, tell me I am not going in ketosis ??? I stop controlling calories, eat like 200 g carbs a day, 3x a day with 5-7 hours between meals, switch from heavy lifting to insane-crazy number of reps lighter lifting in X-Fit WODs, and I go in ketosis when I could not get there after a month on <30 g carb and limited caloric intake? That just doesn't make sense. Please, tell me I should just brush my teeth more often.... I am like tempted to get the strips.
    I've read that a metallic taste in the mouth can be due to iron deficiency... how's your red meat intake right now?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I've read that a metallic taste in the mouth can be due to iron deficiency... how's your red meat intake right now?
    This or an iron, magnesium, copper, potassium, zinc imbalance.

Are getting a lot of magnesium? Or eating alot of chocolate?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    How do you do that?

That's the purpose of the whole experiment... healing issues with food and restoring natural metabolism so I can eat three solid meals a day. I know it's an insane way to approach it, but the other approach I tried for 13 years (restricting my appetite, then binging) hasn't quite worked... Don't know if this will either, but at least it's a different approach for once...
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    I don't think that anyone here is advocating chronic overeating(at least I hope not!). The overeating/refeeding being talked about here is to re-regulate systems that have been deregulated because of chronic restriction and provide enough fuel to repair the damage done to the body during those times of chronic restriction.
    Word It's only overfeeding compared to what we're told we should consume. It's not force feeding.
    It seemed a few pages back like some people were actually eating way more than they wanted in some effort to refeed or whatever. I mean nearly making themselves sick and talking about gaining over 10lbs.

I guess if you need to overeat to an uncomfortable level to get better, that's the way it works for you. It is not something I have had to do. Just trusting my appetite has been a big enough challenge. I still have trouble sometimes because I still do get some comments/raised eyebrows over portions (triggering a lifetime of memories involving my mom and grandmother) and I'm not exactly a walking billboard of lean, rippling cross-fit muscle advertising for the "effortless weight loss" of Primal. I don't look like Mark's wife and half the before pictures in his success stories are my after picture. But F-it. I'm pretty darn happy.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Also, there is something exceedingly weird happening for the past 3 days - I get persistent metallic/blood taste in my mouth. Please, tell me I am not going in ketosis ??? I stop controlling calories, eat like 200 g carbs a day, 3x a day with 5-7 hours between meals, switch from heavy lifting to insane-crazy number of reps lighter lifting in X-Fit WODs, and I go in ketosis when I could not get there after a month on <30 g carb and limited caloric intake? That just doesn't make sense. Please, tell me I should just brush my teeth more often.... I am like tempted to get the strips.
    I was having something like this and discovered it was just my toothpaste. I changed and it went away. Just throwing it out there as a possibly simpler explanation...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Same toothpaste for the past 5+ years, magnesium & zink supplements, red meat daily, bananas daily, multivit daily, had 2 squares dark chocolate yesterday and before that went for weeks without (don't like chocolate) - metal taste prior to chocolate consumption.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It seemed a few pages back like some people were actually eating way more than they wanted in some effort to refeed or whatever. I mean nearly making themselves sick and talking about gaining over 10lbs.
    That was probably my post.

To clarify a bit...at the outset of this, I determined that my BMR is around 1650, my TDEE about 2250. I've been eating for a long time just at or below my BMR, which I think has contributed to some metabolic dysfunction. To correct that, I am focusing on eating to my TDEE or beyond, by refeeding, for a number of weeks.

I do find, recently, to get enough calories in a day to try and accomplish this, I'm eating when I'm not necessarily hungry. I didn't say I'm nearly making myself sick doing so.

As for the weight gain, since reintroducing carbs in the form of potatoes, rice, some dairy and fruit (I was eating some fruit before but was limiting it) after almost two years LC/VLC, the majority of that is no doubt straight water weight as my body is adjusting to processing carbs again.

I'm not advocating this approach is right for everyone, I'm simply sharing my experiences. I don't feel I'm doing myself harm, nor am I taking any aspect of this process to any extremes, like eating myself sick. Once my body is showing consistent signs that my metabolism is back to healthy function, I plan to adjust my eating again, reducing my daily intake incrementally, although now I know better than to go LC or eat below my BMR on a prolonged basis.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Same toothpaste for the past 5+ years, magnesium & zink supplements, red meat daily, bananas daily, multivit daily, had 2 squares dark chocolate yesterday and before that went for weeks without (don't like chocolate) - metal taste prior to chocolate consumption.
    I'm guessing it's a micronutrient imbalance. Drop the chocolate for a bit just to see what happens. I'm guessing that between it and your supplements you are getting too much magnesium and its causing a micronutrient imbalance

Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    That was probably my post.
    I see. Well, I wish everyone the best of luck healing from this stupid CW world. I also believe at some level we've all got to find our own ways through it all.

I think at some point I've been somewhat damaged by three generations of women living with modern fake foods. So I'm happy for what little progress I can make with whatever damaged teratogenic stuff I have been born with.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I think at some point I've been somewhat damaged by three generations of women living with modern fake foods.
    i have read somewhere that what your grandmother ate effects you. i know all our eggs form in utero so it kinda makes some sense from that pov. i should prob lecture my kids on this matter LOL they will truly think i am crazy then. thankfully mine all grew up way out the back boonies and their junk food would have been sugar or white flour not McDs and KFC. i dont even think either of them drank altho one did smoke.

Well, my grandmother was firmly in the oleo and crisco generation. She fed my mother. I was in high school when the whole low fat franken foods thing started. So we switched to Country Crock and fat-free everything. Omega 6s, white flour and sugar galore for all three of us. Who knows what it's done. Plus all three of us are predisposed to being fat (unlike my dad's mom, my sister and her children.)

Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast