Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Women who eat a ton without gaining.... page 37

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm lucky enough to be able to eat a lot without gaining (though I don't eat any junk food, processed food, fast food, questionable seed oils, etc. so that probably helps). Usually I find that if I ate a ridiculous amount one day, I won't be very hungry the next, so it all evens out.

I think one thing that's important is having a good relationship with yourself. I've totally changed the way I approach my inevitable binges--it used to be that once I was done, I'd say to myself, "you're horrible, you can never do that again, you're disgusting, why can't you control yourself?" etc. But now, once I finish a binge, I say to myself, "wow, I'm full. Nothing I can do now but stop eating and see how I feel tomorrow." (of course, I used to binge on horrible SAD things and now I binge on oranges, dark choc, and roasted salted cashews, alternating bites of each until I can't stuff myself with any more).

Don't make weight goals. Make health goals. Make your goal be "to feel good," and then take note of which things make you feel good and which don't. Take it beyond words, if you know what I mean, i.e. if you have to tell yourself "I feel good," you probably don't actually feel good, ya dig?

Try to keep junk food out of the house, surround yourself with healthy options, allow yourself to eat until totally stuffed without starting the negative self-talk, love yourself no matter what weight you are... I think all of us women have struggled with some form of culture-induced eating disorder or body-image distortion... Don't compare yourself to other women; just accept who you are, a person on a great path toward progressively healthier living, someone who cares about her body, and vow to live a physically and emotionally healthy life from here on out. Obsession is the enemy of good health, even if it means you're eating the "perfect" diet, avoiding anything potentially bad, etc. It's better to have a spare tire and heaps of self-love than to be skinny and unhappy. So yeah, look at your goals, make them about how you feel and not how you look or what the scale says.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 03-18-2013 at 01:00 PM.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Whew. It took me two days, but I have read every post on this thread. Good stuff! It has encouraged me to...eat. Really eat. Yesterday and today, I've been extremely hungry. I don't know if that's because I'm now 1 week back to eating primally (no grains/processed sugars; minimally processed foods) or if it's because I'm almost 12 weeks post-surgery (I had ACL reconstruction, using part of my hamstring tendon) and this is the point when, according to my surgeon, I will be at my lowest (has to do with the new ACL -- first 10 or so weeks, it gets looser and looser, and now it's really loose, and soon it will begin slowly tightening until, around August/September, I'll be back to 100%). No real exercise since December 1 (when I tore the ACL), other than physical therapy three times daily and 30 minutes on the recumbent bike daily, also as part of PT. Once the weather warms up, I'll start walking outside, which my therapist says will help strengthen my endurance, which has been completely shot to hell thanks to the surgery (I lost 80% of my strength post surgery). ANYWAY. So I've been exhausted...and hungry.

After reading this entire thread, yesterday and today, I've been eating. A lot. All primal, but still. Whew. It's a little nerve-wracking, because I want to lose 10 pounds or so (really, I want to lose 4 inches on my hips; I don't care what my weight is, other than I have to input something on the bike for a program) and I feel like I've been on a diet my entire life.

So I just want to thank everyone who's been contributing, because it's encouraged me to say "Heck with worrying about how much I'm eating; right now, just eat."

(It never occurred to me that my constantly cold hands/feet and low body temp -- 96.8 is average -- could be from years of crappy eating. I just thought it was one of those things. Hmm.)

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Wise words 2ndChance! I went out today and bought a badly needed pair of larger pants. I had an amazingly good attitude about it and feel fine even though they are 2 sizes larger than anything I've ever owned before.

This morning was exciting! I reached a slightly higher new high in weight, but my waist went down 3cm from it's high, that seems like progress My energy is up a bit today too, nothing great but I don't feel like lying in bed which is great.

Tuppence is offline Junior Member
    Just wanted to drop by and say Hi. I'm on board with this too, after trying Eat More Fat with calorie restriction and Shangi-la without much success. Can't consistently get below 132 (I'm 5'5, VERY pear shaped, 34% body fat). After putting on some vacation weight and it not coming off with heavy ketosis, I've decided to eat whatever I want quantity wise and see what happens. I've been primal for about 18 months, and now have added fruit and more veg back on top of my eggs, meat, fish and fats. I still have cheese, red wine and dark choc most days too.
    I've been eating freely for a couple of weeks now and I'm not weighing, but pants fit like when I'm around 140lbs. I think I've stopped gaining. Feel great.
    I've also ramped up the heavy lifting, so lets see what happens :-)

Kool is offline Senior Member
    Eating very low carb has helps me be full and not gain any weight.
    The MDA carb curve really helps!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I've been kind of following this thread for the last few weeks, while monitoring my own body changes. I'm at a point in my life where I have no one to impress but myself... I stay at home with my 2 kids and my DH seems to like my body however because it produced 2 children. I know that I would never be okay with being hungry or unable to have cake/ice cream. I also know that I have always enjoyed being strong. So I'm combining all of this to create a new lifestyle for myself. When I'm craving a dessert item, I generally have it. Although often I'm too lazy to seek it out, haha. All of this to say...

The scale hasn't budged in a long while. But when I went to shower on Saturday I looked in the mirror to check on my black eyes/bruised cheek from soccer. I happened to have already taken my shirt off so was just in a sports bra. And I was suprised to see the old me (pre-kids) looking back. My face has thinned out and my favorite shoulders are back. I find myself feeling my shoulders at various points throughout the day because they're so solid. I am actually looking forward to warmer weather so I can show off my upper body with tank tops! But I have not been depriving myself. My typical day...
    B: 3-4 eggs, spinach, fruit (strawberries, blueberries or orange)
    L: Leftovers - today was meatloaf, green beans, potato salad
    D: Meat (meatloaf, chicken, pork, etc), veggie (3/4-1C), potato or non-GMO corn based pasta
    S: chocolate, almonds, ice cream, raisins all as needed/desired so may 1-2x/week

I find that making nothing off limits has decreased my desire for any of the items. Good luck!

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    Eating very low carb has helps me be full and not gain any weight.
    The MDA carb curve really helps!
    Eating VLC has fucked up my metabolism, which I'm now trying to fix...but thanks for your input. THE MDA carb curve may work wonders for you, but I've found out the hard way that LC/VLC isn't for everyone.

Kool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Eating VLC has fucked up my metabolism, which I'm now trying to fix...but thanks for your input. THE MDA carb curve may work wonders for you, but I've found out the hard way that LC/VLC isn't for everyone.
    Oh
    can you please go into detail? I'm averaging 40g of carbs a day so far, how low did you go?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Oh
    can you please go into detail? I'm averaging 40g of carbs a day so far, how low did you go?
    When did you start Primal, what carry over problems do you have from your previous life.

There are many discussions about those that did well on VLC for 3-4 months, then it all crashed and their house of cards came down, just like any other dieting regime.

Most people come here because they have problems, so if for whatever reason you want to go VLC my opinion is:
    Based on all primal food intake, good exercise, stress management and lots of fun.
    1 month at 200g
    2 months at 150g
    3 months at 100g
    6 months at 50 g

The 50 g stage is critical in my eyes as that really is the borderline area.
    If you can do this 12 months with no problems, then start to gradually wean down further if you feel the need to do so.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Oh
    I didn't track consistently, but the few times I plugged a sample day's menu into a calculator, it'd be in the neighbourhood of 20-45g carbs. I first started out on a LC plan in May 2011 and it really helped me lose weight - 45lbs, give or take. Then the weight loss stopped, and other problems started appearing...the most apparent and worst of which was severe dehydration (caused by overhydrating myself) and crazy leg cramping; I'd have little fluttery muscle tics in my lower legs constantly (no shit, all day every day) and would be up trying to stretch horrifying leg cramps out (not just calf muscles but hams, quads, hips, you name it) up to a dozen times a night. So, obviously, my sleep had gone all to hell, too.

I shifted gears and switched to a primal WOE after reading PB in May 2012. I never noticed a great improvement in how I felt or looked; my weight didn't go anywhere, my energy didn't change - I wasn't going to be writing in a Friday Success Story. But I felt better about how I was eating, in that it was real, unprocessed foods; I don't plan to change that going forward, either. But I was still stuck to the LC dogma and kept my intake to around 1400-1600cal/day and things have just been going downhill.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what's causing full-body water retention (10+lbs worth, it's been about 10 months since it started). I have several hypothyroid symptoms (low body temp, cold hands/feet, dry skin, hair and nails, fatigue/low energy, very pale). I have gained back all but about 15lbs of the weight I dropped going LC. I have had all sorts of bloodwork and lab tests, neuro assessments and an ultrasound of my heart to try and determine what's out of whack, and so far, no answers as all the tests have come back normal.

In doing more reading and research (and the timing was convenient with PaleoMom starting this thread around the same time), I've come to figure my metabolism is just way out of whack and I need to do what I can to fix it. Which has consisted of eating a ton of food every day (not tracking, don't care - just keeping myself damn full all day long), taking as much downtime as my life will allow and not giving a damn that the scale is going up right now.

Maybe my experience is extreme, or out of the ordinary, but I don't think it's that unusual, given the amount of information I've come across from others who've found themselves in this spot. I have no doubt that LC/VLC/ketosis works wonders for many people out there...I just know that it's not right for me.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go make some chicken curry for dinner, with a giant f*cking pot of rice to go along with.

Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast