Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Women who eat a ton without gaining.... page 30

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    One word, carbs.
    Can you go on Zach? Just wondering from your unique perspective how eating carbs on one hand gives the body what it needs and can be part of nourishing our bodies and losing fat, and for her a way to gain fat. Perhaps the greater view of balancing the body no matter what side of ideal you sit on? Needing the carbs for fertility reasons? Anyway, I'd love more detail.
    Last edited by PaleoMom; 03-12-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hey I agree! Carbs should help you put on some weight. Fruit and sweet potato preferred.

Woops just saw your already eating 150-300g/day. Well your gonna have to just get your calories way up then. Throw in a whole extra meal somewhere if you can.
    The topic of this thread is about upping calories NOT leading to fat gain, and she seems to be proving that theory correct.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amber_maiden View Post
    Hey guys, I think I belong here.

Been paleo for the past 3-4 months, I'm about 80%, as I have cheat weekends sometimes, and/or don't turn down cheesecake or a burger if I'm at a special event. I can go weeks being 100% paleo.

I've currently lost my period, as my weight has dropped with no recent cheat weeks. I went from 119 to 115. I've currently upped my caloric intake to 3000+, and still nothing. Eating almonds, pure animal fat, coconut cream, chocolate bars... waiting for some weight gain to happen....

Must add... i've been lean my entire life. Always ranging from 113 to 125, but having started paleo my body fat has really dropped off. I am digging my muscles though
    Carbs may be a part of it, but I doubt it is the singular answer as you said you've always been lean.

Have you missed periods before going paleo?
    Have your cycles been spot on like clockwork or variable?
    Have your flows always been consistant?
    What are your stools like and toilet symptoms, quick and easy etc?
    Are there any other long term symptoms in your past, anxiety, depression, skin conditions, autoimmune?

A dropped period may be a symptom of a problem, or it may be a symptom of a change, like resetting of the clock for daylight savings, you lose an hour.
    My partner has an autoimmune hyper thyroid condition and watching her cycle was part of the healing protocol, she fluctuated from 2 - 6 weeks at times, had some that only left 3 drops of blood, others went for a good week solid flow, sometimes missed one all together. We know they were an indicator of her healing process in some way, but all we could do was observe and log, as time went on she became much more regular in all ways and PMS symptoms also dropped back, and stools followed a similar process.

So it may not be a case of anything wrong, maybe just an indicator of changes occuring within your body, it needs to be taken in context with your history and also any current symptoms good or bad to give a clearer picture of what may be going on.

My partner has never been too lean, always cuddly, so low body fat isn't the only reason women may skip or lose their period for a while.
    Last edited by Omni; 03-12-2013 at 05:54 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Can you go on Zach? Just wondering from your unique perspective how eating carbs on one hand gives the body what it needs and can be part of nourishing our bodies and losing fat, and for her a way to gain fat. Perhaps the greater view of balancing the body no matter what side of ideal you sit on? Needing the carbs for fertility reasons? Anyway, I'd love more detail.
    My advice was more geared to getting her period back. I believe that she must be missing something crucial in her diet. That said, for me to give more then one word advice i would have know much more about her diet and lifestyle. She said she lost her period by going low carb primal and losing weight, but now saying she eats 150-300g carbs and 3000 cals a day. A few days ago in a different thread she said carbs make her gain fat so she avoids them, so somethings not adding up.

As for your question, everyone would need specific advice, tailored to their own goals. Carbs can certainly be used to both lose and gain fat, depending on other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hey I agree! Carbs should help you put on some weight. Fruit and sweet potato preferred.

Woops just saw your already eating 150-300g/day. Well your gonna have to just get your calories way up then. Throw in a whole extra meal somewhere if you can.
    Yeah... at this point I'm stuffing myself with fat, just because it's concentrated calories. I feel full around 2000 cals, usually... unless there's a whole roast chicken in front of me. I'll eat an entire one of those, even if I'm full! LOL

My advice was more geared to getting her period back. I believe that she must be missing something crucial in her diet. That said, for me to give more then one word advice i would have know much more about her diet and lifestyle. She said she lost her period by going low carb primal and losing weight, but now saying she eats 150-300g carbs and 3000 cals a day. A few days ago in a different thread she said carbs make her gain fat so she avoids them, so somethings not adding up.

As for your question, everyone would need specific advice, tailored to their own goals. Carbs can certainly be used to both lose and gain fat, depending on other factors.
    Thanks for the details

Perhaps even the shock of these major changes in diet could stop it for awhile. It might be good to log foods into something like cronometer and see if any micronutrients are not being met.

In answer to Omni:

Have you missed periods before going paleo?: Years ago... 6 years ago about, when I was a raw vegan. My weight dropped veyr low on that diet, and I got my period back when I became only a vegan and dropped the raw- and gained the weight back. It still took several months for my period to come back then, however. Still kept it when I went gluten-free vegan.

Have your cycles been spot on like clockwork or variable? Periods were regular before pregnancy, and have been fairly regular (every month, every 26-30 days max) since giving birth- got my period back right away, even with breast feeding.

Have your flows always been consistant?: See above. Always lasting 4 days.

What are your stools like and toilet symptoms, quick and easy etc?: Quick, easy. Go to the bathroom several times a day.

Are there any other long term symptoms in your past, anxiety, depression, skin conditions, autoimmune?: I have acne on my jawline, that I can't get rid of... or rather, small bumps. I get stressed out easily. That's about it...

Starches (mainly potatoes and rice... bananas seem to be fine) make me gain fat- belly fat specifically. Not sure if I staid that on my previous thread of not...

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Thanks for the details

Perhaps even the shock of these major changes in diet could stop it for awhile. It might be good to log foods into something like cronometer and see if any micronutrients are not being met.
    Yep, have been with cronometer for a couple of months now. I track everything.

Zach is offline Banned
    What does a day in your current diet look? Hows your stress and sleep?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What does a day in your current diet look? Hows your stress and sleep?
    This is what I've eaten for the past three days. Keep in mind it varies, so some days I eat different meats. I also don't log oils I use.

Today:
    1 small banana
    4 cups of tomatoes, diced
    3 cups of veggies, mixed- carrots, broc, cauliflower
    1/2 a pineapple
    60 almonds
    1 bar of Lindt 90% dark chocolate
    4 beef patties
    .5 cup of blackberries
    5 cloves garlic
    1 onion

Yesterday:
    6 cups of diced tomatoes
    3 beef patties
    4 cups of mixed veggies- same as above
    30 almonds
    1 bar dark chcolate
    5 slices of bacon
    1 cup of walnuts
    half of a fillet of salmon
    30 almonds
    1 onion
    6 cloves of garlic

Sunday:
    3 banans
    4 cups of chicken bone broth
    10 pitted medjool dates
    6 slices of bacon
    1/2 a chicken breast
    1/2 a fillet of salmon
    3 cups of mixed veggies
    .5 a cup of walnuts
    70 almonds
    20g of dark chocolate

(I've only recently added the chocolate... actually hadn't eaten any in a long time, and it's only been the past 3 days I've eaten it... I don't have any left now. I also upped my nut intake).

Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast