Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Women who eat a ton without gaining.... page 26

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm loving this thread and I'm really curious to hear how you ladies get on. More power to you all! I've been experimenting with Matt Stone and this kind of refeeding a bit but haven't quite gotten it right. I've just ended up cycling calories cos some days I'm not hungry.

I might share another time, but for now I just wanted to put a theory out there - I notice that when I eat piles of good food, moving requires - and generates - a lot more energy. I feel heavier so it takes more of an effort to get going, but once I get going my movement is much more powerful and explosive. It feels like I'm burning off much more energy.Just a theory, but maybe this is why eating a lot and eating very little amount to pretty much the same result (provided it's good food).
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    @lemontwisst -
    Glad to have you, I hope this works for you. Sounds like your temp is pretty low, which can be seen as a good thing since it points to something that is clearly off and gives a lot of reason to feel very hopeful that getting your temp up will result in a lot of great improvements.

My weight and measurements are still pretty stable. I find I'm eating more calories almost every day! Yesterday was 4,000. It is amazing how I feel like I'm eating as much as I did when it was 1,200. I was so stuffed the first week and now I don't feel full, just satisfied, with this amount of food, no bloating or digestive discomfort anymore. My energy is still low, most days feel like I'm recovering from a really tough day of physical labor even though I'm not doing anything. My temp is 98.6 with the glass thermometer, I'm anxious to see what it will be after my TOM in a few days, it might drop back to the 97's again. I'm thinking at this point that I'll probably stay at this weight until my body feels recovered, them hopefully it will start going back down.

Peace x is offline Member
    HI Sbhikes

Thank you for sharing. What are your reasons for favouring low fat?

Peace x

Zach is offline Banned
    @paleomom

Hows your sleep?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Are you measuring temp at the same time each day?
    There is about 1F fluctuation daily with minimum being at around 4am and max being around 4-6pm (athletic peak performance time)

During a healthy cycle the body temp will rise up to 1F at ovulation and hold in that range for about 10 days, if there is no fertalization then temp will fall back and mensus will begin.

And just to confound all the temp stuff we must remember that std temps are the average of a sampled population and there may be a fluctuation of +/- 1F within the range of healthy individuals, so the key is to do this over a period and get a history and also look at other symptoms like heart rate and overall well being to determine what range is right for the individual.

One of the things I looked at with my partner was the idea of eating with her cycle, only got a small way into the idea through difficulty of collecting data, but I do think there is something in it.
    It started with looking to resolve some of her PMS symptoms, from my perspective there were two times outwardly visible, during mensus mainly cramps & discomfort, that was easy for me just put her in bed and give her comfort things etc. The other time I realised was around ovulation where her mood would shift and she would become erratic and irritable, men may see this as the "love/hate banshee" where she is all over you one minute, then in an instant wants to stab you in the eye with a rusty needle.

My hypothesis was this was at the end of the folicular period where her body had being doing a lot of work building up the uterus lining and there has been a massive drain on nutrients, particularly in the last three days of this stage where the lining becomes engorged with blood and nutrients and as we know at this time the uterus is in charge and takes priority over the body on nutrient demands and the body then manifests this as PMS symptoms.
    Solution was to almost literally "give her blood", a good feed of red meat, iron supplements, spinach etc. OJ is good as the Citric acid helps iron absorption and in our case this seemed to help her quite a bit with the mid cycle symptoms.
    In addition to that the rise in temp means there is simply a need for more calories to maintain the required metabolic rate and feasting should continue while temp is up, once temp falls the body then begins the process of mensus where the body starts to re absorb the bulk of the uterine lining, I think something like 80% is re absorbed, so at this point the body is getting nutrients back, metabolic rate is down and dietary intake can probably drop a little.
    After this blood supply to the remaining uterine lining is cut off and the shedding process begins with contractions etc and this is where calcium and magnesium, or should I say cheese and chocolate come in to play, one of the things I came to realise here is the question of iron supplements, even though there is the visible discharge of blood, this is not draining from the body as this lining was built up 2 weeks before and now is seperated from the body anyway so supplementing with iron is kind of pointless.

It is quite easy to see that if women embark on a strict dietary plan, with a constant measured daily intake, particularly a calorific defecit how this could result in a cascade of symptoms from PPMS through to starvation response and autoimmune disease where women outnumber men about 8:1.

IMHO women need a dietary plan that takes into account the changing demands of their cycle, feast mid cycle around ovulation, fast a little through mensus and baseline normal intake in the period leading up to ovulation.

There is also a bit of a spiritual angle with the lunar cycle suggesting that:
    No Moon: Mensus is the time to withdraw and retreat to quiet spaces, reflect on what has passed and tie off the loose ends.
    New Moon: The new cycle brings new ideas and beginnings, be open to opportunities flowing past.
    Full Moon:Coming up to ovulation she is in her prime ready for the hunt, ready to take on the world, solid building up of new ideas.
    Old Moon:Post ovulation is the time to re group, rationalise, bring to fruition and completion begin closing off in preparation for mensus.

I'm sure there is some ideal biorythmic cycle for men as well, just not as obvious, but if we can all learn to tune in to our bodies better the signals are probably there, we've just got too much static going on in our lives to hear them clearly.
    Last edited by Omni; 03-09-2013 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    @paleomom

Hows your sleep?
    My sleep is normally great, however in the month or two before starting this I started having trouble with restless nights. Never had trouble falling asleep, though. Since eating this way I have been sleeping super sound and deep and no nighttime bathroom visits. I think that is in part due to less water consumption (been reading Matt's work). There were two nights where it was awful though, both of those evenings I'd warmed up some milk with honey about 2 hours before bed. Yummy, but didn't seem to agree with my sleep!

Zach is offline Banned
    Sounds great. Its amazing how deep sleep can change everything. One thing i noticed was that the later i ate food the more restless my sleep becomes. Now i biggest meal is breakfast and lightest is dinner and i dont eat around 3 hours prior. If im not tire i take a spoonful of salt and sugar under my tongue. This still produces the same deep sleep with no bathrrom breaks and without the restless leg, super hot body temps i was getting with big meals.

One of the coolest changes was peeing at night. On low carb i always felt like i had to pee and got up at least once. Now i can go over 12 hours without feeling a urge. And im not dehydrated in the least. Amazing.

Omni,
    Great information! That is very interesting. I certainly notice that I want to eat a lot more after ovulation. I started this new way to eating right around ovulation, so I still haven't seen my post menses temp yet. I take my temp between 7-7:30am each morning, I take it other times as well, but that is the time when I record it.

I've always been lucky to lack the typical female mood changes, but I used to feel a bit cranky on the first day of menses, that was the only day though. Mostly I had long heavy periods though and bad cramps. All of that is gone now thanks to getting my cycle in tune with the moon, eating paleo also helped even more when I started that. Here is an old thread I started about it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33632.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Sounds great. Its amazing how deep sleep can change everything. One thing i noticed was that the later i ate food the more restless my sleep becomes. Now i biggest meal is breakfast and lightest is dinner and i dont eat around 3 hours prior. If im not tire i take a spoonful of salt and sugar under my tongue. This still produces the same deep sleep with no bathrrom breaks and without the restless leg, super hot body temps i was getting with big meals.

One of the coolest changes was peeing at night. On low carb i always felt like i had to pee and got up at least once. Now i can go over 12 hours without feeling a urge. And im not dehydrated in the least. Amazing.
    Yes, even before I had the sleep trouble I was having to get up a few times at night. Partly because I had a terrible habit of drinking tea or natural calm right before bed. I'm starting to move more to an eating cycle like you just described. I have never felt like eating right before bed caused me problems but perhaps that was because I was eating like a bird. At those times eating made it easier to sleep because my body could calm down a bit from worrying that I'd go to bed undernourished again. Now, my digestion just feels way too active from my enormous meals

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Omni,
    Great information! That is very interesting. I certainly notice that I want to eat a lot more after ovulation. I started this new way to eating right around ovulation, so I still haven't seen my post menses temp yet. I take my temp between 7-7:30am each morning, I take it other times as well, but that is the time when I record it.

I've always been lucky to lack the typical female mood changes, but I used to feel a bit cranky on the first day of menses, that was the only day though. Mostly I had long heavy periods though and bad cramps. All of that is gone now thanks to getting my cycle in tune with the moon, eating paleo also helped even more when I started that. Here is an old thread I started about it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33632.html
    Great thread about the moon, we may go back to that and try the protocol, just realised this morn she is pretty much in tune with Lunar cycle currently.

We started looking at all the health stuff including menstral cycle etc as part of her healing process from Autoimmune Hyperthyroid and after 6 years she is now approaching remission, with the doctors in opposition all the way through telling her she would have to get rid of her thyroid.
    This process has given me a much greater appreciation of how long it really takes to regain good health and even here I am astounded by the number of people who whant results right now, just like they're ordering "a perfect body" at a drive thru.

Primal is just as much an emotional adjustment of loving who you are as it is making yourself physically aesthetic on the outside, so if you meet half way then that's probably the healthiest place really, maybe still a bit of padding, but that's ok because we have all the rippling muscles underneath, the need to show everyone you have rippling muscles is a reflection of still seeking approval from others to be worthy.

Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast