Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Women who eat a ton without gaining.... page 22

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I was a bottomless pit for quite some time, as my previous photos and descriptions showed. I hurt myself and have scaled back on the weight lifting and now I'm not quite so hungry. Been eating a little more than half what I was eating before these past few days.

I agree that maybe BMR calculators are off, at least for some of us and possibly for different diets. I remember when nutritionless foods starting coming out in the early 80s. The holy grail was if someday they could make snacks with no calories that you could eat forever and ever. I honestly now believe that foods that approach that tactic actually wreak havoc on every facet of your metabolism and endocrine system.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    How timely - several of them struck a chord for me.

9 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight | Mark's Daily Apple
    I feel like it was a response to this thread. Very well timed.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post

Salt is obvious, but that's ok. Over the last year and a half that I've been dealing with this and it's been getting worse, I have tried just about everything, obvious or not. I'm currently working with a (pretty crappy, unfortunately) integrative medical doc. and am going to give low dose naltrexone a try. Intuitively it feels like the water retention is due to massive inflammation, which LDN is supposed to help with. Hopefully one day I will get this figured out and won't need to keep buying larger and larger clothes! I'm up 3 sizes at this point.
    (((HUGS))))
    I truly hope you find the answer you need. It must be really frustrating to deal with, especially without an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I was a bottomless pit for quite some time, as my previous photos and descriptions showed. I hurt myself and have scaled back on the weight lifting and now I'm not quite so hungry. Been eating a little more than half what I was eating before these past few days.

I agree that maybe BMR calculators are off, at least for some of us and possibly for different diets. I remember when nutritionless foods starting coming out in the early 80s. The holy grail was if someday they could make snacks with no calories that you could eat forever and ever. I honestly now believe that foods that approach that tactic actually wreak havoc on every facet of your metabolism and endocrine system.
    I remember times when I tried eating nothing buy those calorie free lab experiments. I didn't last long and felt horrid. It is even more sad to think these are making people fatter on top of all the other health risks. Zero benefits.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    When I was doing my masters degree before the baby, I seriously had a lunch of a rice cake, a couple of 35 cals source yogurts and an apple, and felt just fine till dinner time. I would skate at lunch, go for walks and lift weights in the Buns of Steel style back then. I had maybe an egg and a toast+jam or oatmeal for breakkie. And some chicken, broccoli and brown rice with some fruit for supper. I don't understand why I need to eat co much more now, unless the fat cells making you hungry theory is right ('cause I gained a lot of weight with the baby) or the baby stripped me off nutrients - and why I did not recover those nutrients over the past 7 years after the baby eating all these nutritious foods? It just doesn't add up.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I seriously had a lunch of a rice cake, a couple of 35 cals source yogurts and an apple, and felt just fine till dinner time. I would skate at lunch, go for walks and lift weights in the Buns of Steel style back then. I had maybe an egg and a toast+jam or oatmeal for breakkie. And some chicken, broccoli and brown rice with some fruit for supper.
    How long did you feel like that (good)? I could eat like that for a while then blammo. The binges were never driven by hunger.

I actually also get hungry more now, but it's less frantic. More like "oh, I need some extra food". I eat the food and feel OK. Like today, I was hungry after lunch, so ate a Kind bar and was fine. I can also settle my hunger with any food- egg, nuts, fruit whereas in the past it always was a desire for sugary foods.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I eat this way because I want to make progress lifting weights. The only thing not working is that I know better that I shouldn't eat so much chocolate, vegan desserts and wine and that maybe I wouldn't be so fat if I just stuck purely with meat, veggies and potatoes in unlimited quantity.

I have gained a lot of muscle, and maybe a little fat since starting to lift weights. My waist is about the same as before lifting but my legs and shoulders are bigger and my spine is now deeply embedded in my back with these big meaty muscles on the sides of my spine. It surprised me to feel that the other day. My boyfriend was rubbing my back and he noticed it with me not saying anything.

How I feel about the quantity? I feel fine. Not stuffed at all. I often wish there was more to eat. But when lunch or dinner rolls around sometimes I think to myself ugh, no more meat okay? Then I start to get hungry and I don't care how much meat it is I'll eat it and more if I can.

I'm going to try to not consume so much naughty stuff this week and see what happens. I hurt myself lifting weights last week so I can't go as heavy. But I can do lots of volume.
    I am exactly like this.

I'm beginning to doubt the complete health effects of heavy lifting. I am starting to also believe body weight is ideal. The common European and Asian, for centuries, has been using body weight exercise as a means to stay healthy. I am also skeptical of the animal carcass lifts for the caveman as well. If we were smart enough to kill the animal with something other than our bare hands, I am sure that we were smart enough to create something to make it easy to drag or wheel the dead thing to where the tribe lived. Technology does wonders.

UPDATE: I thought I'd put in a quick update. It has been about a week and a half. I have gained around 6 pounds. I feel like half of that is food in my digestive tract. I look only a smidgen bigger and a good portion of that went straight to my boobs. The rest of me just feels firmer somehow but is slightly bigger.

I had to force myself to get the calories in at first and I was REALLY bloated and uncomfortable. It didn't take long though and now I'm eating to appetite and consuming 3500. I have been weight and measurement stable for four days now, the bloating is all gone and no more discomfort of any kind. My temperature has been stable at 98.3 on the digital and 98.6-98.8 on the glass one, both oral and first thing in the morning. My skin is breaking out. My energy fluctuates between days of feeling great and days of extreme fatigue and needing to rest the whole day. I'm feeling nice and warm too. I did errands today (33 deg. fahrenheit) with just a t-shirt, jeans and a scarf and was totally comfy. Not the least bit cold Each day I'm getting less and less pain in my hands when I wake up (RA type pain) even though I have started eating eggs and nightshades again - my biggest triggers.

ETA: I have also been sleeping really deeply and not waking to go to the bathroom at all. When going up multiple flights of stairs I find myself no longer getting breathless, however, after a large meal I have the opposite effect for awhile.
    Last edited by PaleoMom; 03-06-2013 at 10:37 PM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I agree that maybe BMR calculators are off, at least for some of us and possibly for different diets.

I just checked 3 different ones, and 3 different answers, with a range of 400 calories difference.

I just looked at my tracking. I have been eating BMR for the lower one, for the last month - and about half of January. And by half I mean days scattered here and there all throughout the month - about half the time. I have been eating the middle one most of the time for the last month. The higher one, hardly ever, which is the one I used the day I tripped when I heard dont eat under BMR period.

I go see my doctor Friday mostly to check my thyroid. My morning temp is around 97.2 and 6 hours later up to 97.5 I discussed my concerns with Paul Jaminet yesterday. And Mark hit some points in his blog also.

Right now, I am carb cycling, timing it with my work out days. Even a high day though, is not all that high even by curve standards. Low day is around 50. My calories are sort of naturally cycling as well. They still never really got up very high. I don't even know if I ever made it to maintenance level. I have some ideas what I want/need to do next but I am tired right now, and it would just be babble to try to type
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    UPDATE: I thought I'd put in a quick update. It has been about a week and a half. I have gained around 6 pounds. I feel like half of that is food in my digestive tract. I look only a smidgen bigger and a good portion of that went straight to my boobs. The rest of me just feels firmer somehow but is slightly bigger.

I had to force myself to get the calories in at first and I was REALLY bloated and uncomfortable. It didn't take long though and now I'm eating to appetite and consuming 3500. I have been weight and measurement stable for four days now, the bloating is all gone and no more discomfort of any kind. My temperature has been stable at 98.3 on the digital and 98.6-98.8 on the glass one, both oral and first thing in the morning. My skin is breaking out. My energy fluctuates between days of feeling great and days of extreme fatigue and needing to rest the whole day. I'm feeling nice and warm too. I did errands today (33 deg. fahrenheit) with just a t-shirt, jeans and a scarf and was totally comfy. Not the least bit cold Each day I'm getting less and less pain in my hands when I wake up (RA type pain) even though I have started eating eggs and nightshades again - my biggest triggers.

ETA: I have also been sleeping really deeply and not waking to go to the bathroom at all. When going up multiple flights of stairs I find myself no longer getting breathless, however, after a large meal I have the opposite effect for awhile.
    Sounds like all good stuff! Thanks for updating.
    And for the temperature reminder, I keep forgetting!

Page 22 of 52 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast