Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips on what NOT to do. page

MissJecka is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Tips on what NOT to do.

Primal Fuel
    I just did something dumb.

I wanted hot chocolate, but I just got home from a good workout and wanted some of my chocolate whey protein powder. I decided to warm up some coconut milk and almond milk (together) and add a scoop of the whey, just like hot cocoa, right?

Wrong.

The whey actually cooked and turned into clumps. About 5 minutes later, I puked. Moral: Don't do what I did.

So... what have the rest of you Groks and Grokettes done in your Primal life that could prove useful for others to learn from?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

calee is offline Senior Member
    I make protein hot cocoa. Warm up the almond milk, or whatever you prefer. Mix the protein powder in the rest of the fluids. Mix it all together. Then I microwave for 20 seconds, stir, repeat until its warm. If I do it for a minute it will clump. It's the slow warming that works well.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I just got this pea protein powder and was thinking that it would be good on meat, but also fear utterly destroying a frying pan, as I tend to do when cooking. Good? Bad?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Don't cook acidic foods in new cast iron. The food may turn blackish. Your poop definitely will.

I've seen Flay cook tomatoes in cast iron, but I'm assuming it was seasoned by years of use.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Don't use apricots instead of banana in your breakfast waffles. They will be a beautiful golden colour but will be an inedible mess and the waffle maker will take an age to clean.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry if you put chicken bones on to make broth and boil it dry.

Just add more water and scrape the tasty gloop off the bottom of the pan. It will be the most delicious broth ever.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Don't try to roast frozen marrow bones. It may seem simple, but for some obscure reason I could actually do just that the first - and only the first - time I tried it! That took me ages to unlearn...

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually semi-addicted to hot chocolate lately.
    I use 1T plain cocoa, 1/3 cup (or more) coconut milk, few drops stevia concentrate and boiled water.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    You may think that eggs poached in cream is a great idea to up the fat. Don't. It tastes like eggnog gone horribly, horribly wrong.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    When putting a whole chicken in a crockpot for chicken soup, don't include the little plastic layer under the bottom of the chicken like I did last time...after smelling that delicious soup simmer all day, it was pretty painful to discard the whole thing, just in time for dinner.*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast