Thread: You Can Teach an Old Doc New Tricks page

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

You Can Teach an Old Doc New Tricks

Primal Fuel
    I'm newly-retired from the practice of medicine after some 30 years. I've been around MDA for a while, but this is a new journal, a journal of healing for me. ME: 57, HLA-B27 + (which means I have spinal arthritis on an autoimmune basis), treated for Lyme and Bartonella infections a year or so ago; former long distance cyclist, former Crossfit instructor rather felled by poor health and life stress about 5 years ago and still crawling my way out of that poor health space.

The hardest part of it all is that I KNOW....deep in my bones....what vibrant health and abundant energy feel like, because I've been there as recently as 5 years ago, when I was 52. Now....well, let's just say I'm 50 pounds heavier than my athletic self and while I am not ILL, I am nowhere near that vibrant wellness of a short half-decade ago. I want it back.

I know if I go to my rheumatologist, I will be offered Humira; if I go to my Lyme doc, I will be offered antibiotics. I want neither of those things. So next week, I will be working with an alternative health care person, who works intensely with nutrition. I know he starts his patients out on a diet of grassfed meat, fowl, fish and non-nightshade veggies, with some berries, coconut oil, olive oil, and ghee for fats. No eggs, no dairy, no nuts, no coffee no tomatoes, potatoes, or peppers.

I'm a pretty good "liberal" Primal-type eater, but I do eat homemade yogurt, the nightshades, and 2 cups of coffee a day. So I'm starting to stock up on coconut milk, coconut oil, and bags and bags of frozen organic greens! I hope my family will still love me.

My high weight was 213 lbs.; I'm down to 195 over the past year (thanks to liberal Primal eating). But I used to weigh a nice lean 145 on 5'7" tall frame. I know i can't crossfit or do distance cycling any more (I have spinal fusions from C3 to C7 and poor balance now) but I am NOT going to go gently into the good night!!!!!

My plan for exercise (after 1 more week of post-op recovery from last operation, a hysterectomy) is to ease into yoga and walking and hire a personal trainer for careful strength work.

I'll be sharing this journey back to health with ya'll.

Today:
    skipped brekkie
    Lunch: a few pieces of herring with Bubbe's saurkraut and a dab of homemade sour cream
    Dinner: chicken wings cooked in mole sauce and coconut milk over cooked butternut squash.

Supplements: psyllium (post-op sluggish bowel), fermented cod liver oil, VSL #3 (operative antibiotics)

Pea

frenchie79 is offline Member
    Hi and welcome! I wish you a fast recovery!
    5'7'' 130 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

Brekkie: onions, arugala, spinach sauteed in butter and olive oil with 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk.

I'm hauling my tired ole ass over to the Y to play around in the pool. I need to move and I've been pretty sedentary for 5 weeks recovering from surgery and I can't stand it a moment longer. (Supposed to not exercise for six weeks, but then all restrictions are off. Doesn't make sense to me to have an on/off switch----surely a little gentle stretching and water weights will be ok. I'm using my judgement and listening to my body.

I have a 2pm meeting today and I want to "hunting" for a real chicken. My farmer (from whom I purchase beef) sold me the absolutely best chicken I have ever eaten in my life, and it's ruined me for any kind of chicken other than a run-around-the-yard eating-bugs-and-farm-grown-feed type of chicken. Even those labeled organic and free range: you know they are not truly free range if the packaging says "all vegetarian feed" since truly free range birds eat bugs and worms and such.

All I did to make the gorgeous farm bird was season it mightily with paprika, garlic powder, sea salt and pepper and throw it the crockpot. It left a lot of fat and juice in the bottom. I tossed all the scraps and bones from the bird into that liquid, added water, and left it on low. In the morning I had delicious bone broth which I just kept on "warm" and used directly from the crock for 2 more days. Then I gave in and put the rest into the frig. Lasted all week!

But it's hard to find such a bird...except directly from farmer and my farmer has no more.....maybe the farmer's market to which I shall repair this Saturday in my Quest for Bird.

Pea

Got my ass in the pool today and DO I EVER FEEL BETTER FOR IT! Did some squats and step ups on the stairs; worked with water weights; stretched out in a barre sequence and I feel almost human. I am CRAVING activity after 5 weeks on my butt!

L: chicken wings in mole sauce over raw spinach leaves, LF pickles
    D: cod with stewed tomatoes, olives and onions, asparagus; dark chocolate.

It's all good.

frenchie79 is offline Member
    Arugula and spinach sauteed in butter sound delicious! I have to give it a try!!
    5'7'' 130 lbs, primal since August 2011

My journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread78819.html

It is delicious! With a little onion? Yum.

We had the mole and coconut milk sauce leftover from the chicken wings dish and used it to top our cod fillets tonight. So good. I used Larry's Southwestern Sauces Mole Sauce. Larry actually is a dude that lives here in my town. I started buying his sauces at our local farmer's markets!

Right now I have a stew braising in the oven. Cubes of local, organic grassfed beef, organic carrots and sweet potato, sundried tomatoes, onions, garlic and spices: smoked paprika, cumin, turmeric, and salt and pepper. A little water.

For this week coming, I am going to plan out an exercise schedule. Just easy stuff to get started on "move around a lot at a low level."

It's so hard to know what and how much to do. My poor body has been through so much. What I seem to want to do is.....dance. I guess that's pretty primal. So perhaps I will work on limbering up a little this weekend and getting some walking in and start with the dance opportunities (at least one class each day that I might like). Especially Thursday evenings: African dance with a real company.

Pea