We've just had a fantastic short break to Iceland. The country, not the popular frozen food retailer :lol:

What a fantastic place! Not at all dull, concrete, grey, dark, cold ... actually quite the opposite, and such friendly people, genuinely so.

We got out into the wilderness and we enjoyed all that downtown Reykjavik could give us.

I ate everything I could see!

I had a lovely piece of steamed fish from a simple cafe which pretty much sat you down and put a plate of whatever they had in front of you. No choices, nothing to pick from, just a plate of what they could put together for a fixed price.

I also ate whale, puffin, shag ... and tried the air dried saltfish ... and the challenging hákarl, a fermented shark meat, buried in sand for months, then dug up and hung in the wind for a few more months.

From Wiki: "Chef Anthony Bourdain, who has travelled extensively throughout the world sampling local cuisine for his Travel Channel show No Reservations, has described hákarl as 'the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing' he has ever eaten."

"Chef Gordon Ramsay challenged journalist James May to sample three "delicacies" (Laotian snake whiskey, bull penis, and hákarl) on The F Word; after eating hákarl, Ramsay spat it out, although May kept his down. May's only reaction was, 'You disappoint me, Ramsay.'"

I loved it. I impressed the cook/chef at the little cafe where I found it, who made it very clear that I should drink the Brennivin (a spirit) after each bite. I just ate it, wondered what all the fuss was about ... could have had a lot more ... and sipped the drink at the end. Very pleasant. The dried fish was more fun, for me.

Anyway, some snaps ...

Whale:

Cod & Cheeks:

Salmon ... two ways:

Dried fish and hákarl:

Sheep Soup:

Puffin, shag and whale: