Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am finally got the nerve to write my first post...can you guide me? page 3

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_N_Jenn View Post
    Hi Annie,
    Thanks for the friend add. I still have to figure out how to do a lot on this forum.

Thanks for all the great tips and I can't tell you how invaluable your help is to a newbie like me...well, I am not so new but I have much to learn. I did good today and ate a lot. I feel as if I am gaining weight and Ai have 65 pounds more to lose. I definitely feel that I am getting better sleep and am happier.

I will be following and reading you.

Hugs,
    Jenn
    I'm glad that you are sleeping well, I found primal has helped me with that. It has also helped my dh stop snoring (even though he's nowhere close to fully primal). I'm not surprised that you are feeling happier also, my moods have evened out a lot since eating this way. It also makes me happy just knowing I'm eating the right things and that I'm allowed as much of them as I want Have another great primal day and I'll catch you later. A.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    I typically eat:
    Breakfast - 2 strips of bacon (uncured, no nitrates), 2 pasture fed eggs.
    Lunch - Canned fish (tuna, salmon, sardines, etc), 2-3 cups leafy greens sauteed in coconut oil with 1 chopped anchovy (delicious, really gives those greens some taste). Alternate days: beef jerky or salami or left-over some meat or fish or liver pate, with sauerkraut or kimchi.
    Dinner - Grass-fed meat, beef, lamb, chevon, organ meat, and a root veggie. I don't eat as much pork as I used to.

I think my daily menu is pretty boring, but I'm happy with it and never hungry. I've been here 4 months now with amazing improvements in health. My body continues to change, sometimes almost daily. Learn to listen to you body - it's talking to you seriously and continually. I have trouble understanding it sometimes.

I used to swim competitively also. Boy was that a long time ago.

Yes I drink coffee, 1 cup in the morning, one at night. Coffee makes me sleepy. Mostly I drink it as a carrier for the whipping cream.

Many people here make their own fermented foods, (sauerkraut, etc.), pate's, etc. Cooking can be learned and is much easier than you think. I highly recommend that you buy one really good, cover's everything, cookbook, like "The Joy of Cooking".

Welcome to you all and best of luck.

2_N_Jenn is offline Junior Member
    Hi Crypto!
    I wrote a post but see for some reason it didn't post from this morning. Thanks for the daily eat regimen. I am struggling and my scale went up 8 pounds. I see you are from N. Ca. Where do you get your grass fed meat? I am right outside of Sacramento and am looking for a organic farm or butcher.

What exercise do you do? I love swimming but boy does my appetite go up. I have to see what happens this week. I love coffee but I think alot that I have to let go of it. Coffee makes me hungry most of the time and when I eat little I feel great. I proabbaly can do a one meal a day and be great but something forces me to eat more. Probably my binge eating disorder I use and still have.

Who writes the joy of cooking? I have all the paleo books but they seem intensive.

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Hugs,
    Jenn

Hi again Jenn, sorry you are struggling, please don't give up.

If you feel like splurging after eating your meat and veges, then just eat some more meat and veges. Don't be afraid to have some butter on them. It will help keep you satisfied for longer thereby eliminating the need to turn to sweets and starch which prompt the cravings and binging. (Of course too much fat will also stall weight loss, there's a balance needed).

You could keep some hardboiled eggs ready for an instant mini meal, and do make sure you purge your pantry - you can't eat what's not there.

Best wishes.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi Crypto!
    I wrote a post but see for some reason it didn't post from this morning. Thanks for the daily eat regimen. I am struggling and my scale went up 8 pounds. I see you are from N. Ca. Where do you get your grass fed meat? I am right outside of Sacramento and am looking for a organic farm or butcher.

What exercise do you do? I love swimming but boy does my appetite go up. I have to see what happens this week. I love coffee but I think alot that I have to let go of it. Coffee makes me hungry most of the time and when I eat little I feel great. I proabbaly can do a one meal a day and be great but something forces me to eat more. Probably my binge eating disorder I use and still have.

Who writes the joy of cooking? I have all the paleo books but they seem intensive.

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Hugs,
    Jenn
    Up 8 lbs you mean? That's not so good. I lost 11 lbs the first 1.5 weeks and felt like H**L with carb' flu'. Since then I've stayed the same - I don't need to loose or gain but I want to be a lot healthier. We're not in N. CA but in Norco, CA which is in So. Cal. But there are several members here from your area, see sbhikes.

My exercise is pretty limited to walking and weight lifting at a gym, I'm just starting. I've also started doing Mark's beginner exercises - wall push ups, floor knee push ups, plank, etc. They seemed so easy when I did them the first time I thought it was perhaps not serious. The next day I was sore in lots of places, really sore.

I think The Joy of Cooking is written by a committee. For 4 generations it has been a brides gift in our family. Apparently it's traditional not to expect brides to know how to cook. I mentioned it because it covers all the basic techniques and thousands of recipes. It's not a paleo book but it has so many recipes that there are plenty of paleo in it.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 03-05-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Mitch is offline Junior Member
    Look closely at your actual carb count; if it is high (say 150+ per day) that is a likely source of your problems. Be rigorous in your analysis; perhaps you've been a little less diligent lately? Fruit especially can really add up. I eat berries only occasionally, and satisfy my sweet craving with a small amount of pecans-though I am pretty good at being adherent (near 100%) and have lost my sweet craving. If I try something in a social setting-say a bite of cake, or a cookie-I certainly like it and could get tempted to do more. So I only rarely, very rarely have even a bite, and even then it is to be polite. I feel too good to jeapordize what I have done.

I also agree with the points about exercise. You won't work weight off, you must eat it off. If exercise does other things for you do it, but don't allow it to become a drag on your psyche. The swimming sounds like it fits in the over-stress category.

Finally, remember that if you fall off the wagon once a week or so your body may not be jumping back into fat burning mode. Perhaps try a Whole30.

Hi Annie,
    Thanks for posting and giving me some support. I am down a few pounds more which is good. I have to give up the coffee just because it spikes me to much and makes me a crazy. I read about coffee psychosis and I swear I have it. I am trying to stick meat and veggies but I get sugar hungry and have had some chocolate and animal crackers. I know it is bad but the thought of giving it up just makes me want it more.

Will keep on going forward.

Hugs,
    Jenn

Thanks for the feedback and I will look into that book. I am not 100 percent on board but getting there.

Jenn

Hi Mitch!
    Thanks for the Info. So, should I be in btw. 50-100 grams of carbs. I miss crackers and still eat them but much less. The thought of giving up that makes me want and eat it more. I am waiting for the day when I don't. Have these intense cravings or wants to ever go back. I don't know if I ever will go there.

I am doing swimming and walking and being very mindful of how it makes me feel.

I haven't tried the whole 30.will have to get the book

Thanks,
    Jenn

Hi Annie,
    Thanks for posting and giving me some support. I am down a few pounds more which is good. I have to give up the coffee just because it spikes me to much and makes me a crazy. I read about coffee psychosis and I swear I have it. I am trying to stick meat and veggies but I get sugar hungry and have had some chocolate and animal crackers. I know it is bad but the thought of giving it up just makes me want it more.

Will keep on going forward.

Hugs,
    Jenn
    Congrats on the weight loss, and on giving up coffee - that's a tough one.

Dark chocolate's a decent primal treat, the day will come when you find it plenty sweet enough.

How's the cooking going?

I made a beef satay in the slow cooker today - sliced onions and ginger, sliced beef schnitzel, drizzle of oil/garlic/chilli/soy sauce - non primal, I know. At the end of the day stirred in some all natural peanut butter to thicken then served on a bed of white rice.

It's not really a fully primal meal, but it was certainly filling, tasty, almost all natural ingredients, super easy and gluten free. Pity there's no leftovers

You could easily make it primal by omitting soya sauce, subbing other butter for the peanut, and serving on steamed greens instead of rice.
    Last edited by Annieh; 03-07-2013 at 02:11 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast