Thread: Resting Metabolic Rate - what to do with this info? page

jennf is offline Senior Member

Question Resting Metabolic Rate - what to do with this info?

Primal Fuel
    I got my RMR tested this morning (using indirect calorimetry) this morning and they came up with an RMR of 1180 cal/day, about 15% below "normal". The person who tested me suggested that, in order to lose weight, I would need to eat 200 calories less than others would to get the same result.

But is that really what I want to do? Won't that slow down my metabolism even more?

Right now I'm eating about 1500-1700 calories/day. Once you factor in lifestyle calories my current metabolic rate is somewhere around 1416 cal/day. I lift weights 3x/week, move slowly just about every day, and do HiiT once a week. I've fasted a couple of times but don't always do well with it because I'm hypoglycemic.

So should I cut calories or not? I definitely have some fat to lose (I'm currently at about 27% BF). If it makes a difference, I'm also hypothyroid, on a very small dose of T4 and T3 daily.

I would love any input.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I don't understand all those numbers, but I'm also hypothyroid, and I have to seriously restrict calories in order to lose. There are people who say that once your meds are optimized, you can lose weight as well as anyone else, but my endo says that the metabolism is compromised--thus, your low metabolic rate.

If you want to lose, and you're losing at your calorie level, I'd just stay there. But if you're not, then I'd drop some calories. That's what I do.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    hmmm my metabolism just got tested in a Bod Pod and it said i was 1080... even more BELOW normal and i dont exercise and eat well over 2000 calories a day... i maintain my weight give or take 2lbs currently..... those test dont know squat obviously

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    hmmm my metabolism just got tested in a Bod Pod and it said i was 1080... even more BELOW normal and i dont exercise and eat well over 2000 calories a day... i maintain my weight give or take 2lbs currently..... those test dont know squat obviously
    That's fascinating.

You can maintain (or even increase) your current metabolic rate and cut average calories at the same time by eating at or above your caloric expenditure 5-6 days per week, and then dropping to much lower intake for 1-2 days.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fireandstone View Post
    You can maintain (or even increase) your current metabolic rate and cut average calories at the same time by eating at or above your caloric expenditure 5-6 days per week, and then dropping to much lower intake for 1-2 days.
    Gotta love Mr. Pilon!

I don't know Pilon, but I ate that way for 10 years or so to drop the 1-2 lbs of fat that would accumulate over time and it always worked like a charm in terms of maintaining muscle mass during the cut....until I got into daily feast/famine cycling. Now I don't put on the fat to begin with. The underlying principle it seems is the need for metabolic rest, with greater frequency leading to more consistent results.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Exactly. 100% completely and totally agree.

Rest.