Thread: Maffetone question page

SDScot is offline Junior Member

Maffetone question

I started "running"(actually somewhere between a slow shuffle an a brisk walk) 6 days a week per Phil Maffetone's formula 180- age. and I have a question for those of you that are more familiar with the program.

I have not read the Big Book yet (on a tight budget) but have tried my best to cull as much info from the internet (far from ideal I know). From what I've read he seems to discourage any other strenuous excercise (particularly weight lifting). Im currently lifting weights 3x week, pretty low volume: back squats, pull ups, pushups, curls and narrow grip bench press. I'm also doing yoga 3-4x per week.

Here's my question: since I'm primarily doing the maffetone for weight loss and increasing my speed is of secondary importance ( I'm one of those odd ducks that doesn't mind the "atta boy's" and the snide looks/comments about the slow guy) will I still derive the benefit of weight loss in the near term and perhaps be able to increase my speed as my body adapts to the total volume of work?

FiveX is offline Member
    Sounds like you have a good routine. I don't know how much weight you are trying to lose but if you eat a high fat, med protein, low carb diet (50 grams or less until you reach desired weight) you will certainly lose weight. Also your speed should naturally increase. Try incorporating some sprints into your run/shuffle once or twice a week.

There's some great info on this site regarding diet and what foods to consume to lose weight and maintain a desired weight. We're all different and you will have to find what works best for you but remember it all starts with what we eat. What we eat leads the way to weight loss even more so than exercise. Good Luck, Peace...5x

Quote Originally Posted by FiveX View Post
    Sounds like you have a good routine. I don't know how much weight you are trying to lose but if you eat a high fat, med protein, low carb diet (50 grams or less until you reach desired weight) you will certainly lose weight. Also your speed should naturally increase. Try incorporating some sprints into your run/shuffle once or twice a week.

There's some great info on this site regarding diet and what foods to consume to lose weight and maintain a desired weight. We're all different and you will have to find what works best for you but remember it all starts with what we eat. What we eat leads the way to weight loss even more so than exercise. Good Luck, Peace...5x
    Thanks 5x,

I agree with you about the food side of the equation...most of the weight loss battle is won or lost in the kitchen. I'm pretty dialed in on a low carb diet and the weight is coming off.

I also eventually want to incorporate some speed work into my routine but if I'm not mistaken Maffetone recomends no sprinting for the first 4 months.

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement ...SD

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    He seems to have an inconsistent message about lifting weights/anaerobic exercise. He seems to fall in line with a slower, more relaxed version of primal fitness, although lifting 3 or 4x a week at 80% of your max would be anything but "relaxing" for me. Here's one of his articles. Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - Slow Weights
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    He seems to have an inconsistent message about lifting weights/anaerobic exercise. He seems to fall in line with a slower, more relaxed version of primal fitness, although lifting 3 or 4x a week at 80% of your max would be anything but "relaxing" for me. Here's one of his articles. Phil Maffetone, www.philmaffetone.com - Slow Weights

Thanks sb,

It seems like my low volume weight program would be similar to his definition of "slow weights" if I increased the rest time between sets... I'm guessing that the goal of the program is to keep from doing any other activity that would raise the heart rate above the taget range for any significant length of time...

I think I'm just going to move forward with this assumption and I'll report back after a few weeks...

Regards, SD