Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restaurant choices? page

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member

Restaurant choices?

While I know that restaurants aren't usually strictly Primal, I find it reassuring to know that there are options out there besides a fast food burger without the bun. While searching for this topic, I saw the Starbucks thread, but nothing similar, so I apologize if this is a retread- and if you could link me to the original compendium, I'd be grateful.

Tonight for example, hubby and I went to The Cheesecake Factory. They have tons of Primal options as appetizers: ahi, a grilled artichoke. Tonight we splurged and split the spinach artichoke dip- (dubious and heavy on the cheese, but I only had a few bites). They provided veggies for me to dip with minimal fuss- I crunched them up plain and let my hubby eat the rest of the dip with chips. They're really good about substitutions, have an OK steak selection, and decent salads. They also serve breakfast 24-7, so there are a lot of Primal options, if you know where to look. Don't fall for the siren song of the "low carb cheesecake"- I tried it in a moment of weakness. Bleargh!

We also like The Counter- It may be a Northern Cali thing, but I know it's a chain. It's a "build your own" burger place. Humanely raised, antibiotic free meat. You just check a little box if you want it in a bowl of organic salad fixin's instead of on a bun. They do have sweet potato fries, but I suspect they're batter-dipped.

Outback Steakhouse is also good about subbing. They took pity on me when I said I couldn't eat any of their desserts, and made me a huge, ROCKIN' fruit plate for 5 bucks!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I was at Outback last night and had a lovely Primal meal. Ohh, I like the idea of lamenting over dessert. I'll have to try it next time I'm there!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Primal was easy last night at Ruth's Chris. I had the biggest, bestest T-bone steak + asparagus. They had a dessert of fresh berries and cream that would have been acceptable if I felt like it...though I'm sure the cream would have some added sugar.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Pretty much any Steakhouse is pretty easy to manage. If you get stuck at a place like Applebee's, Chili's, or Ruby Tuesday, there's always a reasonable selection of meat dishes that you can just switch out the sides for veggies (I'm forced to go to a lot of these with family members). As long as you're not too concerned about what oils they're using to cook it all. I choose not to even ask. =P

For a quick meal, the big burrito chains (Chipotle, Moe's Southwest Grill, maybe Qdoba) have a wide variety of ingredients that you can have them put into a salad. Moe's is one of the few chain restaurants I actually go to by choice. =]

Primal is offline Senior Member
    +1 on Chipotle. The fajita bowl with double steak, peppers, onions, hot salsa, tomatoes, (cheese, sometimes), guac, and lettuce can't be beat for $10.

Meggilizz is offline Senior Member
    Jason's Deli prides itself on a totally organic salad bar. I haven't eaten anything else there, so I don't know about their meat quality.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    Primal was easy last night at Ruth's Chris. I had the biggest, bestest T-bone steak + asparagus. They had a dessert of fresh berries and cream that would have been acceptable if I felt like it...though I'm sure the cream would have some added sugar.
    I did this last weekend- and you're right, the cream is more like custard. Delicious, but has quite a bit of added sugar. I bet they would sub if you asked them, however!

Any Chinese food ideas? That's one thing I am missing. I mean, I can throw together my own stir-fry, and avoid rice, but aside from sauteed veggies, I am a bit suspicious of Chinese restaurant fare.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    I went and ate Thai last night (coconut soup and chicken with veggies in garlic sauce) and feel like crap today.

Steakhouses are indeed, good bets.

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Watch out for Soy Sauce at chinese restaurants and some Thai stir-frys- it has wheat in it! not to mention hideous amounts of salt and MSG! You can buy wheat-free Tamari to use at home or if you like sashimi you can bring it with you to sushi places.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast