Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shirataki noodles and rice Primal? page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Shirataki noodles and rice Primal?

Just before I dive into a sea of Shirataki noodles and/or rice I want to check with whoever might know if they are Primal. Everything I read says they are but I'd like to hear it from someone the is very familiar with them.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Seaweed and konjak noodles are considered primal. IIRC Mark posted about it in one of his Is It Primal blogs.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Seaweed and konjak noodles are considered primal. IIRC Mark posted about it in one of his Is It Primal blogs.
    Could I find it by just doing a search for shirataki noodles?

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint is just that - a blueprint. A building blueprint tells you where the walls are, but not what color they are or what you can hang on them. The PB "diet" (for lack of a better term) is just a few guidelines that are simple: eat real things, avoid wheat products at all costs, and move around a lot.

That being said, I eat rice and I don't care if it's Primal-approved or not. But, yes, some folks avoid it. If it agrees with your body and doesn't give you any negative side-effects, go for it. I don't overdo the rice intake (I prefer to get my carbs from veggies and fruit) but I do eat the stuff once or twice per week.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post
    Primal Blueprint is just that - a blueprint. A building blueprint tells you where the walls are, but not what color they are or what you can hang on them. The PB "diet" (for lack of a better term) is just a few guidelines that are simple: eat real things, avoid wheat products at all costs, and move around a lot.

That being said, I eat rice and I don't care if it's Primal-approved or not. But, yes, some folks avoid it. If it agrees with your body and doesn't give you any negative side-effects, go for it. I don't overdo the rice intake (I prefer to get my carbs from veggies and fruit) but I do eat the stuff once or twice per week.
    +1. Good post, Jecka.

According to Mark (who gets to decide whether something is Primal or not), rice is not Primal since it's a grain, but he feels that it's relatively harmless if you have a good funtioning glucose metabolism and use the carbs by being active:
    Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Shirataki: Dear Mark: Apple Cider Vinegar, DNA Damage, Lactaid, and Miracle Noodles | Mark's Daily Apple
    Last edited by yodiewan; 02-25-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MissJecka View Post

What I meant was shirataki rice, the regular rice I avoid. Thanks.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Shiritaki is made from a tuber (a yam, to be exact). Just like I mentioned - if you can digest it and have no ill-effects on your gluclose metabolism... who cares if it has the Primal stamp of approval? Go for it.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    What I meant was shirataki rice, the regular rice I avoid. Thanks.
    All shirataki products are made from the same stuff, konjak root flour/powder, regardless of the form being noodle-y, 'rice' shaped, or solid block.

Mark says they are fine so long as you don't let them displace too much of the more nutritious foods from your diet. Plus, since they are made of a tonne of soluble fiber that will act as a prebiotic and create a huge increase in gut flora... watch out for the possibility gas as a side effect.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    +1. Good post, Jecka.

According to Mark (who gets to decide whether something is Primal or not), rice is not Primal since it's a grain, but he feels that it's relatively harmless if you have a good funtioning glucose metabolism and use the carbs by being active:
    Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Shirataki: Dear Mark: Apple Cider Vinegar, DNA Damage, Lactaid, and Miracle Noodles | Mark's Daily Apple
    Thanks for the link.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The konjac root shiritake noodles are Primal enough but they are almost pure dietary fiber and can have a plugging up effect in the digestive system when ingested in large quantities in my experience.

I prefer seaweed noodles. Similar texture, more absorbant of flavors, and more nutrients (particularly rich in iodine).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast