Thread: Barefoot skeptic changes mind page

Egerland is offline Senior Member

Barefoot skeptic changes mind

Shop Now
    I recently found some barefoot-type footwear and tried it out on a hour and a half hike over rugged country. I was surprised how well it went, and my feet didn't hurt!

I generally wear a custom orthotic for flat feet and was expecting pain.

mbtwos is offline Member
    I'm glad to hear. I have been wearing orthoheel slippers and shoes because my feel get sore without the extra instep support. I have been thinking about trying the barefoot effect also

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Go slow and easy with it. It takes a while to rebuild foot strength and really easy to overdo it at the beginning.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Go slow and easy with it. It takes a while to rebuild foot strength and really easy to overdo it at the beginning.
    I second that.
    I'm not much of a runner (sprints occasionally, mostly walking), but the first very short jog I did in my Vibrams left my calves aching for a day. Once adjusted, though, I can tell how much more my whole body likes it. In the winter I wear New Balance or Merrel closed-toe minimals that have a Vibram sole, and think I'm going to try out some of those military style minimal boots for the snowy weather.

ybqpvjst is offline Banned
    I have been thinking about trying the barefoot effect also

Kyle46N is offline Senior Member
    I'm very very flat footed. 33 yr old and wore almost every type of motion control shoe or orthotic for flat feet there is. 3 yrs ago, about the same time I went primal, I started wearing minimalist shoes....starting with five fingers. Running up to a mile, then working my way up. Same with day to day wear....I'm a nurse and on my feet alot. It's mixed emotions. Grateful that I now actually have a little bit of an arch and no ankle, knee, or shin pain (part of life before barefoot). But also wish I had been doing this since I was a child. My parents went with conventional wisdom and had me in orthotics as a child. Exact opposite of what I should have been doing. So, the thoughts of what could have been. I've changed the future though, and my two little flat feeted toddlers wear minimalist shoes and sure enough, they have arches now and are less and less flat footed every month. The reality? Our feet are designed to support our body and any type of running or walking we choose to do. Let your feet do just that.

Boneidle24seven is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Yep, take it easy. I have tendonitis from trying to do too much at once (barefoot running) I am having to take a week off work because of it. . . . .I suppose there is a plus side to everything!
    http://www.richardlongart.co.uk/

http://www.primalish.net/

“You have to know the past to understand the present.”
    ― Carl Sagan

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Glad to hear you liked it! Just another vote for building up slowly. I thought I did but still ended up with a stress fracture. I totally buy that our bodies were "meant" for barefoot but when you've been stuffing your feet into motion control sneakers for 30 years you need time to get this natural ability back. Unless you are 15. Then maybe it won't take you so long

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I got on so well with minimalist-style shoes when I started running that I have changed over entirely with all my shoes. I wear Chuck Taylors style shoes most of the time now (in the UK we would call them plimsoles!) and have recently got some Vivo Ra leather shoes for when I need a more formal look (which I'm really pleased with).

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    Just bought some Five Fingers and have been using them for my non-running cardio (mostly elliptical) and will start working in some short runs once I lose a little more weight. I want to give myself the best chance of success I can have.

I'm also flatfooted but I tend to walk aound the house barefoot or in socks year-round so I don't think my feet are as bad off as some other folks.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5