Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first fast page

murat Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi,

I have been 99% PB during the last 4 weeks (except the organic part and weight lifting, as I have discussed it elsewhere in the forums).

Yesterday, I have decided that it was time for the first 22 hours fast. I have skipping the breakfast intermittedly before, but this was supposed to be my first one-day fast.

Well, it is now nearly the end (I have two more hours to go), but it has not been a very pleasant experience, I must confess: My mood was not very pleasant (my wife has made the observation), I had intermittent headache, and I was missing energy even if I have done some light activity (semi-intensive cycling and a calm walk with my old dog). I was also quite hungry the majority of the time (not too hungry, but hungry nevertheless). All my consumption today is a coffee in the morning (black espresso with 4 drops of stevia), one black (in the morning) and one green (in the afternoon) tea and water. I have also taken my daily dose of supplements (0 carb, 0 cal) and fish oil in the morning.

This fast was not very easy for me. Have I done something wrong? Or is it because this is my first time?

Paneristi is offline Member

Well done - Last week I fasted 3 days (2 meals per day x 3 days) felt great ...drink lots of Evian !!

Keep the Faith

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I would say it's probably because it was your first time. I didn't love my first fast either but it gets easier.

maba is offline Senior Member

I'd like to try fasting too, but as Clint mentioned in my journal thread, I'm trying get my calories up as I'd lost some muscle mass last week. If I go on a fast, how do I make sure my calorie intake is enough. I seem to feel full easily. With just 2 meals, I'm afraid I won't have enough calories.

murat Guest

Thanks for the encouragements, Diana and Paneristi. I hope that it will be easier the next time ;-)

Conan Guest

I tried a half day fast a couple of weeks ago (no food after lunch). I made it a grand total of 6 hours before I had to eat something. Keep in mind, I've never missed a meal in my entire life. For my next fast, I'm hoping to make it 8 hours. Baby steps .

Adam Steer Guest

Fasting is never easy in my experience. But it does get easier. The first fasts will often be accompanied by the types of symptoms you're describing. Many believe it is akin to "withdrawal." Even though you've switched to a Primal diet, years of eating otherwise leave your body thirsting for certain elements (often carbs). So when you fast, and your body is not yet used to turning to its own stores (through ketosis) to fuel itself, you can get those types of symptoms.

Also, I wouldn't take the fish oil while fasting. You are introducing calories into the body (123 kCal / tbs - not a huge deal - but if you're going to fast you might as well fast...). Besides, if you are burning the stuff for calories (which you likely will if you are fasted), there's not much point. Take them with your first post fast meal instead.

Stick with it. You'll find it rewarding once you get on track with them. And make sure you eat normally before and after your fast. It's easy to fall into the trap of gorging yourself.

Cheers,

Adam

murat Guest

Thanks a lot Adam for these precise advices! Yes, I have hesitated for the fish oil, but given that my take only gives me 12 kCals, I thought that I could get away with it. But, taking them with the first after fast meal is a very good idea indeed.

I came out of the fast with several small meals. I have first taken 5 walnuts + 5 cherries + 2 apricots + 48g of feta cheese. One hour later I have taken an avocado with 1tsp of mustard and 1tsp of cream. I feel much better now.

I will later eat some more vegetables and some meat. I should end the day with 1200-1500 kCals and less than 50g of carbs (excluding the fiber). SO, it won't be a starvation day any way.

Does this look sensible to you?

Regards,

Murat

Adam Steer Guest

That looks pretty reasonable to me. I like to break my fast with something very "voluminous" like a big salad. But I think the important thing is to have a "plan." If you wait until you end your fast to decide what to eat, anything could happen. If you plan precisely what you are going to use to break your fast, you're more likely to stay on the wagon.

I have to admit that this type of premeditated nutrition probably isn't very primal. But Grok didn't have the over abundance of nasty food choices that we do... ;-)

Cheers,

Adam

billman89 is offline Member

PrimalCon New York

I wouldn't drink too much coffee or use stevia during the fast either.

I fast daily pretty much, at least 18 hours. I used to have more caffiene with various tea and coffee and I would use stevia sometimes too and I have recently in the last few weeks limited my caffiene consumption to about 1 or 2 cups of tea, and no stevia. It makes the fast alot eaiser.

Also, one of the reasons for fasting is keeping insulin ultra low to spike growth hormone.... stevia can spike your insulin even a little bit. Sure, it's not like a huge spike or anything and for some it doesn't spike at all... but better to be safe than sorry. Fasting is easier when you don't tempt yourself with sweet tasting things too. I used to need tons of water with fasting, now I can go from 8am wake up to about 3pm with barely any water and not even being thirsty.

But yeah, baby steps. Gradually cut down on the caffiene and the stevia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast