Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal and vegetarian? What? page

aimlow is offline Senior Member

Primal and vegetarian? What?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My husband has a co-worker who is way into Primal lifestyle. But she also says she is vegetarian. I think she does eat fish and eggs, but no chicken, beef, lamb, pork....??

I don't know her well enough to ask tons of questions, but I guess I'm just curious as to how this might be done? And is it healthy? She looks lean and healthy....

Anyone here vegetarian? What do you eat? Is there a healthy way to not eat meat?

ludobear is offline Junior Member
    I suppose it could be done but it seems like it would be a lot of effort to get the proper nutrients.
    Starting Primal: 2/24/13

SW: 261.5 | GW: 135 | CW: 255.25

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Being Primal or Paleo is pretty easily done for vegetarians. You can get plenty of protein from raw dairy, eggs and nuts! If your friend eats fish, too (which is not vegetarian... she'd be more of a pescetarian) then she's bound to do just fine in the Primal world.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Interesting!! I ask also b/c while I've always eaten meat and in my adult life really tended toward low starch, the food I really love are nuts, fruits, grains, and sweet potatoes. I know that grains don't do a body good, but man, I often feel like just don't want meat!

Like, for example avocado rolled in nori wraps with sprouts and tahini... mmmmmm

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    There are plenty of days where I don't eat beef, chicken or pork. Eggs, butter, veggies for breakfast... tuna salad for lunch... veggie-egg-hash scramble with raw cheese for dinner. Some days I eat tons of meat and no eggs/seafood. It all balances out in the end.

Eat what you're in the mood for!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You have to eat a whole lot of nuts to get enough protein. Despite their vegetarian reputation for being high in protein, most tree nuts are relatively low in protein. Walnuts, for instance, are 90% fat and 2% protein.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Vegans can't get B12 from their diet without supplementation, but vegetarians can. Pescatarians definitely can.

Some non-fourlegged sources of B12: Clams, oysters, mussels, caviar, octopus, mackerel, herring, salmon, cod, sardines, tuna, trout, bluefish, crab, lobster, and eggs (goose and duck have more B12 than chicken eggs).

Also, cheese. Think Swiss for B12.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Zach is offline Banned
    Im basically vegetarian and i am worlds healthier then when i ate a meat based diet. My main calories come from frut, dairy and eggs in that order.

It can easily be done. You dont have to be a sstrict vegetarian or anything, just eat animal products when you feel the need and keep most of your calories coming from what you like, in your case, carbs.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You have to eat a whole lot of nuts to get enough protein. Despite their vegetarian reputation for being high in protein, most tree nuts are relatively low in protein. Walnuts, for instance, are 90% fat and 2% protein.
    There is no such thing as a protein deficiency. Most people eat way more then they need.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast