Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal and vegetarian? What? page 3

Zach is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Yep, no time to read all 4+ million hits.

As are your posts - opinions. I find nothing in your posts that even remotely comes off as anything except pushing CW or SAD. Generally I ignore your posts, but a remark like "There is no such thing as a protein deficiency," should be addressed when someone has posted a genuine question about how to be primal if she isn't all that fond of meat. There is such a thing as protein deficiency.

In fact, since you're so anti-primal, why don't you do an n=1 experiment and go six months or so with no protein. I'll wait with bated breath for the results.
    Haha, i think it was choco who said you can google "moon is a spaceship" and get ten million hits. Google hits means nothing.

It is not my opinion, it is the opinion of every major health organization in the world. Sometimes conventional wisdom is right.

Also i do not have to do a N=1, vegans all around the world prove it already. Like i said, a protein deficiency might very well just be a vitamin or mineral deficiency. You cant eat a protein free diet, it is not possible.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Wait, the body knows the difference between 45 grams of protein on a "crash diet" and 45 grams of protein eaten normally through portion control? Tell me about what I was eating, please. You seem to know more about it than I do.

30g a day is nowhere near enough even for a sedentary woman, and I was not sedentary. I was very active. It is far below any recommendations I have ever read. Even vegan sites use a higher number than that.

I may be atypical. But I doubt it. One thing I know for sure is that if my n=1 is reproducible, it is reliable for me. I care about my health. I see no reason to believe from what you say that you do.
    Protein requirements go down as calories and carbs go up. Yes if you are very low carb, you will have a high protei. Requirement because your body needs glucose from somewhere. This is not what protein is meant for. When everything is else is taken care of, protein requirements should be very low because its heing used appropriately.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It's definitely possible to be vegetarian and primal while getting enough protein. I g through phases when I just don't feel like eating meat myself. During those times, I go with eggs and Greek yogurt for my protein sources. Btw, if your friend eats fish, they're not vegetarian
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I believe Mark did a post recently and his wife is a vegetarian but eats fish (Pescetarian? Not sure). And she looks fantastic.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    I believe Mark did a post recently and his wife is a vegetarian but eats fish (Pescetarian? Not sure). And she looks fantastic.
    Yup, I think as long as you can add either seafood or eggs it becomes quite doable.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I think you can do perfectly fine as a vegetarian that eats fish/dairy and eggs. My fiance is primal and is a lacto-ovo vegetarian. If she would just include fish or even fermented cod liver oil her diet would almost become bulletproof. I don't think its a requirement to eat meat when you are doing paleo/primal. I personally try to eat as much fish as possible over meat and poultry.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Im basically vegetarian and i am worlds healthier then when i ate a meat based diet. My main calories come from frut, dairy and eggs in that order.

It can easily be done. You dont have to be a sstrict vegetarian or anything, just eat animal products when you feel the need and keep most of your calories coming from what you like, in your case, carbs.
    This sounds so good to me. Although I love nut butters, so would love to incorporate those too- now I try to really limit them as I am afraid i'll over-do. Zach- can you share your thoughts on weight loss eating this way? Also, do you find it's easier to keep calories low?

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    About protein... I'm perfectly well aware this doesn't prove anything, but here are a couple of changes I noticed when I switched to meat-eating Primal from lacto-ovo-whole-grain vegetarian of 20 years:

• faster-growing nails
    • thicker hair - that is, the individual hairs are about twice as thick
    • no more split ends - really striking, as it used to be hard to find a hair that wasn't split
    • gradual, slight improvement in hair coverage - I have female pattern baldness, and while shiny scalp is still perfectly visible, it's not as bad.

Of course, it's impossible to say which health benefits came from what I cut out, and which came from what I added in, and which of the added nutrients made the greatest difference. But my best guess would be that hair and nail differences are because my body's no longer having to economise on protein.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    This sounds so good to me. Although I love nut butters, so would love to incorporate those too- now I try to really limit them as I am afraid i'll over-do. Zach- can you share your thoughts on weight loss eating this way? Also, do you find it's easier to keep calories low?
    PM'd you.

In general i think you have to pick only one fuel for fat loss. In my case it would be carbs so fat would have to be semi low, which would eliminate nut butters. Also it depends on your definition of low. I don think calories should ever be restricted to far, usually it causes more problems then fat loss. But yes, i dont think carbs cause you to eat out of control if they are from the right sources and it you are getting enough calories and nutrients.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yes, there are primal/paleo vegetarians. An ovo-lacto vegetarian could easily do primal, and if the person eats fish, then it's even easier still.

I believe that Mark's wife is a pescitarian (eats fish), and i know a couple of others, so no big deal at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast