Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal and vegetarian? What? page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Isn't Mark's wife a vegetarian?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    There is no such thing as a protein deficiency.
    False

Most people eat way more then they need.
    True

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There is no such thing as a protein deficiency. Most people eat way more then they need.
    Did you read that on a vegan site someplace? A person on a weight loss diet can easily get behind on their protein requirements, as can a vegan who is trying to get their protein from nuts. I know I did after I lost my first 30 pounds, and ended up madly craving meat for days.

But if you look at the standard American diet (admittedly on a bad day), 4 ounces of whole wheat flour, 4 ounces of corn flour, 4 ounces of sugar, and 2 ounces of canola oil, not an atypical bad day for many junk food eaters, provides 1740 calories and a whopping 24 grams of protein. But since people constantly hear that you can't get a protein deficiency because most people eat way more than they need, they would never consider the possibility.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Did you read that on a vegan site someplace? A person on a weight loss diet can easily get behind on their protein requirements, as can a vegan who is trying to get their protein from nuts. I know I did after I lost my first 30 pounds, and ended up madly craving meat for days.

But if you look at the standard American diet (admittedly on a bad day), 4 ounces of whole wheat flour, 4 ounces of corn flour, 4 ounces of sugar, and 2 ounces of canola oil, not an atypical bad day for many junk food eaters, provides 1740 calories and a whopping 24 grams of protein. But since people constantly hear that you can't get a protein deficiency because most people eat way more than they need, they would never consider the possibility.
    Im sure you were craving meat for other reasons, most likely you were crash dieting. Yes is someone is eating all their calories from non foods and eating low calories then your protein requirements will go up. Im talking about someone who is eating a relatively healthy diet and hearing the eat 1g per lb mantra. 30-60g a day is plenty for most individuals eating fairly decently and no it all doesnt need to come from animal products. 99% of people will never have a protein deficiency even eating a vegan diet.

Zach is offline Banned
    Im sure you just grabbed the first four sites that popped up but three of those are just opinions and one is a disease. There is no evidence there that any of those synptoms are actually a protein deficiency. Many of those symptoms listed actually are the same as a thyroid disorder, b12 deficiency, magnesium deficiency or something else.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I think it's very possible, and healthy if you eat eggs and dairy. And Seafood, even better. Isn't Mark's wife a pescetarian?

I think needing meat for protein is a huge myth and eating a lot of chicken and other meats high in o6 is probably less healthy than just eating eggs and dairy and shellfish. It amazes me how ubiquitous chicken is in the paleosphere!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Im sure you just grabbed the first four sites that popped up
    Yep, no time to read all 4+ million hits.

but three of those are just opinions and one is a disease.
    As are your posts - opinions. I find nothing in your posts that even remotely comes off as anything except pushing CW or SAD. Generally I ignore your posts, but a remark like "There is no such thing as a protein deficiency," should be addressed when someone has posted a genuine question about how to be primal if she isn't all that fond of meat. There is such a thing as protein deficiency.

In fact, since you're so anti-primal, why don't you do an n=1 experiment and go six months or so with no protein. I'll wait with bated breath for the results.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Im sure you were craving meat for other reasons, most likely you were crash dieting. Yes is someone is eating all their calories from non foods and eating low calories then your protein requirements will go up. Im talking about someone who is eating a relatively healthy diet and hearing the eat 1g per lb mantra. 30-60g a day is plenty for most individuals eating fairly decently and no it all doesnt need to come from animal products. 99% of people will never have a protein deficiency even eating a vegan diet.
    Wait, the body knows the difference between 45 grams of protein on a "crash diet" and 45 grams of protein eaten normally through portion control? Tell me about what I was eating, please. You seem to know more about it than I do.

30g a day is nowhere near enough even for a sedentary woman, and I was not sedentary. I was very active. It is far below any recommendations I have ever read. Even vegan sites use a higher number than that.

I may be atypical. But I doubt it. One thing I know for sure is that if my n=1 is reproducible, it is reliable for me. I care about my health. I see no reason to believe from what you say that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I'll wait with bated breath for the results.
    I love you. You spelled 'bated' right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast