Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Primal Leangains difficulties - any helpful advice? page

  1. #1
    powk's Avatar
    powk is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11

    Primal Leangains difficulties - any helpful advice?

    Shop Now
    Hi all,

    I've been doing the Leangains method, eating only primal foods, for the last 2 weeks, and there are three initial issues I wanted to bring to light here to see if you vets could add your perspective to the situation.

    Additional context: 25 y/o, 5'9", 170-175 LBs, ~12-14% BF, compound lifting 3x/week, other light training 2-3x/week (on 'rest' days). Goal is body recomp. The IF calculator I'm using is: IF Calculator

    1. Calculating base calorie intake for the day

    Should I use BMR or TDEE to apply the +/- 20% to? I believe the answer is TDEE, but I have mistakenly been using BMR the past couple weeks. D'oh. Guess I was doing 'extreme fat loss' (+/0 0/40%) for a bit accidentally

    2. Macronutrient profiles of training/rest days

    Are my macro's I'm calculating below on target? Am I correct in capping fat at 50g on training days and carbs at 50g on rest days?
    I feel like I've got a LOT of carbs on training days, but I don't want to consume too much fat. Using TDEE as baseline for calories for the below targets.

    Training days (+20%): 3360 KCAL = 200g Protein; ~525g Carbs; 50g Fat
    Rest days (-20%): 2240 KCAL = 200g Protein; 50g Carbs; ~135g Fat

    3. Carbs for training days

    This is where I'd really appreciate your experienced perspective - what primal carbs are you eating? The past two weeks, with targets of ~330g carbs on training days (lower than above because of BMR calorie mistake), I've been going heavy on sweet potatoes (~2-3 LBs), bananas (~3, or 15 oz.), and berries (blue, rasp, black, straw) when feasible (they're expensive!!). Veggies also, but miniscule carb count. I was using dates, too, but I read more and I don't like their fructose. Am I being too picky avoiding rice/dates/juices?

    Thank you SOO much for your help! I'm excited to put myself on the right path to short and long term well-being.

    Also - for those of you who answered my past related posts that got me to this point, thanks again for all of your guidance.

  2. #2
    Darz's Avatar
    Darz is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Observable Universe
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by powk View Post
    1. Calculating base calorie intake for the day

    Should I use BMR or TDEE to apply the +/- 20% to? I believe the answer is TDEE, but I have mistakenly been using BMR the past couple weeks. D'oh. Guess I was doing 'extreme fat loss' (+/0 0/40%) for a bit accidentally
    TDEE.

    Quote Originally Posted by powk View Post
    2. Macronutrient profiles of training/rest days

    Are my macro's I'm calculating below on target? Am I correct in capping fat at 50g on training days and carbs at 50g on rest days?
    I feel like I've got a LOT of carbs on training days, but I don't want to consume too much fat. Using TDEE as baseline for calories for the below targets.

    Training days (+20%): 3360 KCAL = 200g Protein; ~525g Carbs; 50g Fat
    Rest days (-20%): 2240 KCAL = 200g Protein; 50g Carbs; ~135g Fat
    In my opinion, you should just bulk, and then later cut, you're just spinning your wheels doing that - and it takes a lot of time and extreme dedication in order to do a recomp effectively.

    Quote Originally Posted by powk View Post
    3. Carbs for training days

    This is where I'd really appreciate your experienced perspective - what primal carbs are you eating? The past two weeks, with targets of ~330g carbs on training days (lower than above because of BMR calorie mistake), I've been going heavy on sweet potatoes (~2-3 LBs), bananas (~3, or 15 oz.), and berries (blue, rasp, black, straw) when feasible (they're expensive!!). Veggies also, but miniscule carb count. I was using dates, too, but I read more and I don't like their fructose. Am I being too picky avoiding rice/dates/juices?
    Whatever primal carbs you enjoy. Unless you have a real reason to avoid those things, then I see no reason not to eat them if you like them. In my opinion, I like to eat my foods not drink them. Regarding my main carbs: potatoes, pasta, rice, vegetables.
    Last edited by Darz; 02-25-2013 at 07:29 AM.

  3. #3
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,296
    I agree with what Darz said above. Also, good job on putting your question into a fairly concise, logical format.

    Personally, I get the bulk of my starch from white potatoes. I also eat bananas, dried figs and prunes, and oranges. And ice cream. I also drink raw milk.

    Also, it is not a staple for me, but cassava/yuca is about twice as carb dense as white or sweet potatoes. It's used to make tapioca. Now that I mention it, I should get it more often!
    Cassava - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    That table also reminds me that plantains and yams are also good options that are somewhat more carb-dense than potatoes. Of course rice is the king in that regard. I eat it on occasion, but I do like getting the bulk of my starch from tubers.

    Looks like figs are actually higher in fructose than dates, but prunes are lower: Sugar Content of Fruit | Nutrition Information from Dr. Loren Cordain
    Either way, I don't sweat the fructose from those too much, as I only eat 2-3 pieces of each per day.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 02-25-2013 at 07:59 AM.

  4. #4
    powk's Avatar
    powk is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11
    Darz, Yodiewan, thank you for the guidance!! Sounds like I need to significantly increase my calorie intake - I'll shift up to TDEE +30/-10 for bulking to start. MAN that's a lot of calories, especially for two meals / 8 hour eating window. Sounds like fun, hah.

    Yodiewan, your links are especially helpful as I figure out additional carb options. That sugar chart is dynamite. Cassava looks interesting, I'll have to see if Whole Foods has any (and if I have the culinary skill to utilize it). Of the carbs I'm OK with, I like the flavor of sweet potatoes (what I call Yams) and dates the most. I'll push the yams to 3-4 lbs per lift day and add dates back in for a few oz a day. MAYBE even rice with Thai curries here and there
    Last edited by powk; 02-25-2013 at 11:13 AM.

  5. #5
    yodiewan's Avatar
    yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,296
    If you can cook sweet potatoes, you can definitely cook cassava. Just peel and boil. Mash if you like. They sometimes have a fibrous string in the middle like parsnips. I usually just spit that part out, but you could cut it out in advance of cooking too.

    I like them with cumin+coriander+turmeric. Especially with some added red palm oil, but I leave that out on training days.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •