Thread: Hello from Edinburgh, Scotland! page

Loobyloo is offline Junior Member

Hello from Edinburgh, Scotland!

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I have recently registered, and The Primal Blueprint just arrived from Amazon today - looking foreward to getting stuck in!

My motivation for going Primal is that I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Last week I had pasta three evenings in a row, and noticed that the next morning I could barely scrape myself out of bed - this is what prompted me to see if wheat may be to blame. That's how I stumbled across MDA. I am too tired lately to exercise much other than walking - 'strenuous' exercise makes me feel dreadful (post-exertional malaise).

My main worry is that I do NOT want to lose weight - won't cutting out grain-based carbs make me lose weight? I have only just got myself to a good weight again after suffering a long bout of anxiety, and struggle to keep weight on generally as it is. I want to be fit, healthy, strong and resilient, but I don't wan't to lose weight. Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks!

Lucy

mbtwos is offline Member
    I think most of us have the opposite problem. We eat too much of the wrong food and gain weight. But you can eat too much of the right food and also gain. I noticed that when I eat a little too much dairy, I don't lose weight. Experiment, see what your body likes. But definitely stay away from grain and sugar! That poison will kill ya...

Good luck!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    here we go loobyloo..... here we go loobylie....... here we go looby loo...........
    you have just reminded me of that song !!!!!!! Welcome aboard.
    There are quite a few posts from people on these forums who do not need to lose weight and they keep their weight quite stable. There are also posts from people who are struggling to keep weight on. Spend a wee bit of time getting to know a few posters, read up on some differing experiences and then experiment.
    You will work out what works for your body - but it just might take some time.
    Feeling alive and healthy and well is a fantastic start - so keep at it.
    All the very best
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Thank you for the welcome! I am looking forward to "feeling alive and healthy and well!".

I realise I may be in the minority regarding trying to keep weight ON, but this can be just as hard as trying to lose it....so please don't hate me! I am mainly fed up with feeling so damn tired all and having low mood and high stress levels.

Looking forward to sharing the journey

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    NOOOOOO Looby loo - we don't hate you - just a tiny wee bit of green eyed envy !!!!! LOL

keep at it my girl !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi loobyloo, well done on cutting out the grains, I'm sure you will feel the health benefits pretty well straight away.

To keep from losing weight I suggest don't let carbs drop too low, keep up the starchy veges and add butter to them. Don't shy away from fruit, maybe eat it with cream. Cheese, nuts and chocolate stop a lot of people from losing, you may be in a place where you actively need them. I made a yummy blueberry mousse this week with coconut cream. Yummy and totally primal.

Some weight bearing exercise will increase your strength and stimulate your appetite also.

Enjoy your primal journey to better health and strength.

Thank you Annie! Some great tips there, fruit and cream sounds good to me!

I am on day 5 of no grains, and am actually feeling quite crappy, very, very tired, but I guess this will pass.

Thanks all,
    Lucy

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Hi Loobyloo and welcome aboard.

I'm in Edinburgh too!

I think both of our reasons for starting along this path are similar - although I wanted to lose weight too - but I was just darned fed up of not having any energy to do anything other than flop in front of the tv in the evenings. I'm still working on my weightloss but my energy levels couldn't be more different than they were 18 months ago...sometimes I have so much energy it borders on being problematic

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loobyloo View Post
    Thank you Annie! Some great tips there, fruit and cream sounds good to me!

I am on day 5 of no grains, and am actually feeling quite crappy, very, very tired, but I guess this will pass.

Thanks all,
    Lucy
    Five days. Well done.

Sorry you feeling so tired. Are you eating enough now that you have cut out the grains? From feeding a tiny toddler I have learnt that if the appetite is small it's important to make every bite count. Lots of calories and nutrients in every bite, and not too much effort to eat.

Eggs scrambled in butter and topped with melted cheese are fantastic. Cooking your meat long and slow to the melt-in-the-mouth stage means you will probably manage more than if you try to chow down on a rare steak. Stirfried greens go down a whole lot easier than coleslaw. Try mashing butter and cream into colourful veges such as pumpkin or carrot. Whip a beaten egg into it as well for extra nutrition. A baked apple or even banana with chocolate and whipped cream will be more appetising and have more calories than a piece of fresh fruit. Although a sliced nectarine or pear goes down well when spread with nut butter or cream cheese.