Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you actually eat? page

Little Women is offline Member

How much do you actually eat?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've always been what I consider a hearty eater, but on this new primal/paleo diet, I am really not very hungry. I read about people who eat 6 eggs for breakfast, a whole chicken for lunch, and who knows what-all for supper, and I wonder how on earth they manage that. (I am STUFFED with 2 eggs for breakfast, usually with a few small veggies like onion in them, 2 slices of high-quality turkey lunchmeat with about 1/4 avocado and sometimes a salad for lunch, and 3-5 oz meat/chicken/fish plus a cup or so of veggies for supper. We have 4 teens and adults plus 2 pre-teens at our house, and we can easily do with one chicken at dinner.)

How much do most of you actually eat? Do we actually need to be eating large amounts if we are not hungry? (Hubby was hungry, but olives and potatoes seem to be doing the trick for him.)

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Depends who you talk to.
    But I don't eat that much, and I just don't need more.
    Overeating is what got me into this position, so not actually needing much food is great.
    I am eating 3 smaller meals, sometimes 2.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Women View Post
    I read about people who eat 6 eggs for breakfast, a whole chicken for lunch, and who knows what-all for supper, and I wonder how on earth they manage that.
    Yeah, I've found it darn difficult to eat beyond what the body needs. I think when eating the way we are naturally made to eat the hunger mechanism works as nature intended it.

A couple examples:

On Paleo - Lifted weights all last week, so intended to refuel on Saturday. Found a good quality buffet with tons of paleo food for lunch: broccoli and mushrooms in butter, duck, smoked salmon, pan fried garlic, shellfish...ate three plates! But by dinner couldn't even think about eating. By breakfast the next day still couldn't think about eating! By lunch ate a big pan of eggs cooked in butter and lots of vegis. But then by dinner couldn't even think of eating again. By the end of the weekend felt recharged and ready to lift on Monday. Monday morning...had actually lost weight!!! Despite trying to pig out all weekend and bulk up.

On Carbs - When I was on the S.A.D. I could eat an entire large Pizza Hut pizza and be hungry four hours later! And massive weight gain by Monday.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Yeah, I've found it darn difficult to eat beyond what the body needs. I think when eating the way we are naturally made to eat the hunger mechanism works as nature intended it.

A couple examples:

On Paleo - Lifted weights all last week, so intended to refuel on Saturday. Found a good quality buffet with tons of paleo food for lunch: broccoli and mushrooms in butter, duck, smoked salmon, pan fried garlic, shellfish...ate three plates! But by dinner couldn't even think about eating. By breakfast the next day still couldn't think about eating! By lunch ate a big pan of eggs cooked in butter and lots of vegis. But then by dinner couldn't even think of eating again. By the end of the weekend felt recharged and ready to lift on Monday. Monday morning...had actually lost weight!!! Despite trying to pig out all weekend and bulk up.

On Carbs - When I was on the S.A.D. I could eat an entire large Pizza Hut pizza and be hungry four hours later! And massive weight gain by Monday.
    Yep exactly that.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I feel like I eat heaps, but it's evidently not more than I need as I am maintaining my weight. It would in fact be a bit more than you because I usually fit in a snack as well as the three meals.

eg B: two egg omelette with veges and/or cheese and bacon. L: dinner leftovers ie meat and veg, or chicken salad. S: apple with almond butter, or truffle balls, or cheese. D: roast lamb and veges, beef and vege casserole etc.

On days I exercise I eat more, and occasionally I skip breakfast so that probably balances out.

I think good quality food is more satisfying in every way and that is what keeps appetite to a reasonable level. Therefore there is no need to eat more than you feel like, but if you start to exercise and build muscle, then appetite would naturally increase and that's when you would want and need to eat more.
    Last edited by Annieh; 02-24-2013 at 09:46 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Part of this also depends upon the sizes of what you have.

In the US, we would get XL or Jumbo eggs (yes, free range/pastured), whereas here, we just get eggs and they are *tiny*. One jumbo egg is easily two of our eggs. DH used to eat 3 jumbos in the US, and now he consumes 4 of our eggs. So overall, he's consuming less (because the eggs are smaller), but the number of eggs that's recorded is "4 eggs."

Chickens are also another matter. In the US, we could get chickens that were the size of a small turkey and it cost about $14. Now, we get a chicken that's about 1/3 that size and it costs $17. While the chickens in the US might have lasted my husband days (and our family at least one meal and left overs -- our family of 3), one chicken is dinner -- and we finish it off. We usually roast two chickens at once, to have left overs for lunch the next two days (lunches tend to be smaller for us). But, you know, if you ask me "how many chickens does your family eat at dinner?" the answer is 1 whole chicken for 3 people. I dare say that if you had to get the NZ chickens (considering prices and sizes), you'd end up needing 3 for your family at dinner.

That being said, I don't eat that much calorically speaking. I average out around 1500 calories/day right now. It's great.

And that looks like this:

Breakfast: 3 eggs in butter; morning juice (juice is 5 silver beet leaves, 5 stalks celery, 1 bunch coriander or mint, 1 lemon, 1 apple (small), 1 inch ginger -- this makes 3-4 cups of juice, which DH and I split).

Lunch: optional -- sometimes I skip this one. It might be a snack of nuts plus piece of fruit, or it might be beef patties plus fruit or just whatever we happen to have. sometimes it's left over juice/eggs. LOL

Dinner: tonight was steak plus steamed broccoli. the steak was plain, the broccoli had olive oil, salt, and pepper on it. DS and I had some chocolate, DS had his berries as well. All good.

whitegirlinasia is offline Junior Member
    I had two eggs with two mushrooms a sprinkling of cheese and chives, half a cup of full fat plain yogurt with 4 strawberries and maybe 10 blueberries in it, and also a fig. Also a sliced up cucumber. That was breakfast.

Lunch was three chicken wings. (Asian chicken wings are way smaller than the stuff in America) They were fried in butter and garlic and put over a bed of lettuce. Also 3 tiny squares of dark chocolate.

Dinner was 2 hard boiled eggs, 4 spears of asparagus wrapped in bacon, about 20 blueberries and 20 almonds and a small glass of coconut milk. In retrospect this was probably too much. I'm pretty full right now.

I just got back on the Paleo bandwagon though. In a couple of weeks I probably won't be eating that much. The re-transitioning process always leaves me starved.

Edit: I entered this all into the myfitnesspal app, and it claims I only ate about 1500 worth of calories (and of course a ton of fat). I have such a hard time believing all of that was so low in calorie department. Could that really be possible?
    Last edited by whitegirlinasia; 02-25-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Yum, that all sounds delish!

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    I eat about the same amounts as Little Women says and I'm not really little: 5ft 10 (F) and healthy weight was about 170 lbs. With CW eating gained and now the excess is coming slowly off, but not too fast, just right.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    That's a hard question to answer. I eat when I'm hungry, and unfortunately I'm not fat-adapted (yet!) so I do get hungry a few times a day. I try not to over-stuff myself, but rather I eat until I'm no longer hungry... if that makes sense. I'm 5'6", 27 years old, 143-ish pounds (I think) and I'm 25% body fat. At my highest I was 173.5 pounds and god-knows-what body fat % back in mid-2008.

Anyway, a usual day is pretty much like this...

Breakfast: Heavy protein and fat, very little carbs. Coffee, too. {Today = coconut flour pancakes with unsweetened/unsalted almond butter; raw cheese on the side; coffee. Other days I have eggs, bacon, raw cheese, sautee'd veggies, and coffee.} On the weekends breakfast is usually bigger (i.e. steak and eggs, or leftovers from dinner) and later in the day, and as a result I don't have an appetite for lunch.

Lunch: Dinner leftovers; usually 4 to 6 ounces of protein, a cup of vegetables, and some kind of fat (raw cheese, usually). {Today = pulled chicken in a lettuce leaf topped with caramelized onions and peppers; baby carrots and home-made garlic spread to dip in.}

Dinner: Same macros as lunch, but usually smaller portions; up to 4 ounces of protein, a good amount of fat (in this case it can be some kind of fatty sauce like a curry made from coconut milk, or a good amount of butter/oil), but usually I add a more starchy veg with my dinner (like a small sweet potato, or half of a large one). About twice a week I will even have rice as a starch with dinner. {Today = Italian sausage with caramelized onions and peppers, pureed artichoke heart, baby carrots, tea.}

Snack(s): I struggle with keeping my snacking at bay, as I am a natural grazer. I try to keep my snacks to once per day, which is successful maybe 60% of the time, max. I usually have a fatty protein source like raw cheese or nuts; other times I can be completely satisfied off of a few handfuls of baby carrots and home-made garlic dip; sometimes I splurge and make a Primal "dessert" like almond butter cups (my latest creation) or almond flour banana bread. {Today = probably some pistachios at work and an almond butter cup at home.}

I don't track my Calories or macros anymore, but I usually eat between 1500 and 1800 Calories per day, and try to be about 20-30-50 (carbs-protein-fat). Some days I know I eat much, much less; other days, like yesterday... whoops!... I eat more.

However, I know that when I was heavier, I was always, always hungry no matter how much crap I ate. And, boy, did I eat crap! Breakfast was usually two pop tarts on my walk out the door and a caramel macchiato (made with skim milk, but extra caramel!) I'd buy on the way to class. Between classes I'd have lunch at a sandwich shop (where not only would I get a huge sandwich, but I'd get extra mayo, extra meat, and usually get a creamy soup/chowder on the side with the included baguette!) or fast food joint. Dinner would consist of sharing a large meat-lover's pizza, hot wings, and a 2-liter of Mountain Dew with my boyfriend, usually followed by more pop tarts for dessert... because obviously I hadn't had enough to eat during the day...
    Last edited by MissJecka; 02-25-2013 at 05:56 AM.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast