Thread: Anorexia, Hypoglycemia, and Leptin connected? page

ar0e is offline Member

Anorexia, Hypoglycemia, and Leptin connected?

Primal Fuel
    Could a battle with anorexia a few years ago, lifelong hypoglycemia, 3 years in a very sedentary job, and a very stressful living situation for the past 4 years have ruined my metabolism? I am looking to lose about 30lbs. I have been primal for over 2 years, eating less than 100 grams of carbs daily. I track every calorie in myfitnesspal, and I have to admit I spend many hours a week reading about what the 'perfect' diet should be. I have been reading about leptin and I don't know if I am resistant or not. I never really feel hungry, I just know I am hungry when I feel the typical low blood sugar symptoms ie dizzy, mental fog, depressed, etc. I still have a really hard eating enough, I feel sick when I eat what I feel is "too much" I feel like I should be losing weight, but I really haven't. Should I try a leptin reset? I know asking this question usually starts a battle on these message boards, but I just need some direction.
    Last edited by ar0e; 02-25-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Whats your MFP name? I'd be happy to have a good look at your diet and lend an opinion. Have you had your Thyroid levels tested?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Anorexia alone is enough to wreck your metabolism - with all those problems, even if some are in control, you should still be consulting with a real doctor - of course exercise and eating whole foods is important - but you can never be too careful.

ar0e is offline Member
    I haven't had my thyroid tested or had any blood work in years. I was also on birth control for 2 years back in 2007 which is what seemed to cause me to gain back most of the weight I lost through starvation. I was also taking double doses of Prilosec for a year while under a doctors care for GERD, which I now know can cause severe vitamin deficiencies, could this also be part of my problem?

On a side note, is it safe for hypoglycemics to eat VLC? When I try to take my carbs below the 50 gram range, I end up with a real case of the low blood sugar crazies. Crying, shaking, dizziness, and just generally feeling terrible, even after I eat some carbs I don't feel right for a few days after one of these episodes.
    Last edited by ar0e; 02-25-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Everything I've read says you haven't wrecked your metabolism, but it is probably way out of whack and may take a long time to re balance. Along with the timeframes you've mentioned, you were likely not treating your body well before that, so would it be safe to say that things haven't been right since puberty?

There is a lot of things that need to be rebalanced to avhieve good health, at this point I think your primary goal should be just to develop a healthy relationship with food, by eating well and feeling good about it VLC is not a good idea at this point.

Getting any tests is good, but there is likely a cascade issue, so even though something is out of balance, it is not as simple as just correcting it, the cause is likely much deeper.

Do you monitor your cycle? that is always a good indicator of womens health, along with the obvious, it is worth monitoring body temp, there is a fluctuation of about 1C throughout the cycle, in a healthy cycle this will show a clear and regular pattern repeatedly. I'd also suggest you look at relaxation techniques, like yoga and meditation, these will help you get more in tune with your body & mind, there is a lot of behavioural patterns that you need to modify, but this takes time, can't be rushed, just some introspection and asking yourself sometimes why am I reacting like this.

As you relax with yourself, your body will gradually relax to and will start to balance out, provided you give it good nutrition.

ar0e is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Everything I've read says you haven't wrecked your metabolism, but it is probably way out of whack and may take a long time to re balance. Along with the timeframes you've mentioned, you were likely not treating your body well before that, so would it be safe to say that things haven't been right since puberty?
    That was a pretty accurate assumption, I remember putting myself on my first 'diet' at 12 years old and the elated feelings I got as I lost weight were addictive. As far as the questions about my cycle, I track the days but I have never tracked my temp. I don't know what a healthy relationship with food is anymore. For instance, this afternoon I was starving because I didn't eat lunch because I felt like my 2 egg, 4 slices of bacon, 1/2 sweet potato breakfast should be enough to last til dinner. I was hungry but my brain was telling myself that I had enough food to last all day, so when I finally did eat something I felt so guilty about it that now I feel sick to my stomach. I know this is not a healthy relationship with food, its very difficult for me to stop these thoughts.