Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow, you must eat a repetitive diet! Sounds boring! page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Wow, you must eat a repetitive diet! Sounds boring!

Primal Fuel
    So, I was having a discussion with someone who was actually totally on board with me on the tenants of paleo nutrition almost completely (minus a few minor points) so I thought to suggest that if they agreed so much, they should try it out for themselves and then got this exact reply.

"No thanks. By eliminating things like bad oils, soy, and grains you invariabley lead yourself into a pattern of min-maxing your nutrients which results invariabley in a repetitive and boring diet. I'd rather take the health consequences and be able to eat a wider range of dishes and not be forced into a small handful of very unsatisfying and limited choices."

So... Low-carb and high-carb primalites alike, how would YOU respond to an arguement like this, other than to invite them over for dinner which was summarily dismissed for the same reason as above?

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I would just say, "OK" and move on. There is not point in arguing with people about their diet.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    I would just say, "OK" and move on. There is not point in arguing with people about their diet.
    We're not arguing about nutrition at this point. We were actually on the same page there. I just wished I had something to prove that the paleo/primal diet isn't as limited as is often assumed. If I had had a good response (perhaps I just needed more time to think of one) there might even have been a new primal convert in our midsts.

You're right though, it is their loss, not mine or ours. Just wish I could have said something to prevent them from being so closed-minded abut one little TINY piece of the lifestyle that's really a non-starter to begin with (as we all well know having eaten primal for some time).

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    I would point out how flexible Primal is. Mark is all about personal experimentation and not letting perfectionism get in the way of primal. I eat (organic) white potatoes and rice, and corn tortillas whenever I want.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I'm not sure how being able to eat damn near every animal and plant on earth is boring, but whatever. I do tend to eat sort of repetitively, but that's not for lack of options--I just think eggs, bacon, steak, and veggies is phenomenal. I eat a ton of other stuff on a rotating basis, but man are my staples delicious...

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Wow, my jaw would have dropped and I'd have been lost for words too. I think primal is WAY more varied than the way most people eat. Nothing could be more repetitive than toast and cereal for breakfast, sandwiches and muffins for lunch and pasta and pizza for dinner followed by cake, with a few cookies and fizzy drinks thrown in along the way. Gag.

I actually had someone say to me they thought my way of eating would be "tasteless" and I was so taken aback I didn't know what to say. I think because I had referred to gluten free, meaning dropping the wheat and grains, while she imagined fake substitutes for bread and cake. I dunno.

As to how you could have responded? Maybe something along the lines of, "Well I haven't found it boring, I love my bacon, eggs, cream, ...insert other favourite dishes here." But if they don't want to be convinced, it may not help.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Funny isn't it. Yet organ meats have so much flavour that many recoil. If you can't get flavour out of meat and vegetables then you're not trying. If anything, adding grains to them softens their flavour. Almost as bad as adding anything to coffee!
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    send that idiot to chowstalker
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I'm not sure how being able to eat damn near every animal and plant on earth is boring, but whatever.
    +1 adding that most people who eat SAD fall into ruts also, they just fool themselves because McD on Monday and TGIFs on Tuesday and Domino Pizza on Wednesday means they're eating "variety."

However, since they refused an invitation to dinner on the same grounds, I'd just count myself lucky that I wasn't wasting my well sourced food on a closed minded fool.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Zena is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would send them to that chick on facebook who has not cooked the same meal twice in almost two years! We have been following her for awhile,

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cami-...13800535333815

seriously she never cooks the same thing more than once! she truly does create magic I send everyone that tries to argue with me to her page!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast