Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow, you must eat a repetitive diet! Sounds boring! page 3

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think most people settle on a fairly repetitive diet. Yu get a few meals that are your "go to" meals that are easy to cook, use ingredients you usually have on hand, etc. Life is just easier that way. Mine ends up being repetitively nourishing and delicious. My go to breakfast is an omelet with sautéed onion and mushroom, smoked salmon, cheese. Repetitive? Sure. Better than daily grey oatmeal? No question.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    The funny thing is paleo and primal remove all the BLAND things what's left are the tasty parts.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Tell me this looks ordinary, bland or lacking in variety.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    How sad is it that the average American thinks "what else is there??" when the option of grains is removed from one's diet? That's pretty telling as to where our society is in regard to nutritional education and overall state of health - or more accurately, the total lack thereof - on both counts.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

Tell me this looks ordinary, bland or lacking in variety.
    Holy crap! That made me salivate and I don't usually get even a small hunger pang until about 4pm.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    How sad is it that the average American thinks "what else is there??" when the option of grains is removed from one's diet? That's pretty telling as to where our society is in regard to nutritional education and overall state of health - or more accurately, the total lack thereof - on both counts.
    It's just that for most people, after you take out sandwiches, bagels, pasta, and pizza, there's nothing left in their diet but Coke.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It's like not repetitive because one day you have angel hair pasta for your side, and the next day - bow ties? And after that, like, spaghetti? Wow.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's just that for most people, after you take out sandwiches, bagels, pasta, and pizza, there's nothing left in their diet but Coke.
    That's so true and so bleak.

I like all those things (except Coke because to me it tastes like some freakish experiment and almost always has). Bagels are an effort - it's really silly to drive 1400 miles to NY for good ones, so that's been pretty easy to deal with; also, lox and goat cheese tastes even better wrapped in nori. Pasta - meh and spaghetti squash only tastes about a gazillion times better. Pizza was tough, but I find that if I saute the toppings in a pan and melt fresh mozzarella on top, I really don't miss the crust (again, I don't exactly live in the land of awesome pizza crust anyway).

Sandwiches. A muffaletta. Ham 'n' swiss or fried oyster po'boy dressed. Once or twice a month. No one's perfect. Still, one doesn't have to go 100% to reap the health benefits. Cutting back to one or two sandwiches a month made more sense to me than blowing off Primal completely just because bread isn't good for me.

People lack creativity if they think Primal is boring. Also, having an all or nothing mindset can get in the way of making changes that would improve health. Get rid of HFCS, buy organic, buy grass fed and wild, don't eat things that come in microwaveable trays covered in clear wrap, don't stuff your face with grains to the point of addiction, stay away from bpa, bgh, etc. Don't eat anywhere that has more than three locations. If anything ending in "ose" is the first or second ingredient, put it back on the shelf and step away. Just doing those things would improve most people's overall long term health.

Rambling... sorry. heh.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    That's so true and so bleak.

I like all those things (except Coke because to me it tastes like some freakish experiment and almost always has). Bagels are an effort - it's really silly to drive 1400 miles to NY for good ones, so that's been pretty easy to deal with; also, lox and goat cheese tastes even better wrapped in nori. Pasta - meh and spaghetti squash only tastes about a gazillion times better. Pizza was tough, but I find that if I saute the toppings in a pan and melt fresh mozzarella on top, I really don't miss the crust (again, I don't exactly live in the land of awesome pizza crust anyway).

Sandwiches. A muffaletta. Ham 'n' swiss or fried oyster po'boy dressed. Once or twice a month. No one's perfect. Still, one doesn't have to go 100% to reap the health benefits. Cutting back to one or two sandwiches a month made more sense to me than blowing off Primal completely just because bread isn't good for me.

People lack creativity if they think Primal is boring. Also, having an all or nothing mindset can get in the way of making changes that would improve health. Get rid of HFCS, buy organic, buy grass fed and wild, don't eat things that come in microwaveable trays covered in clear wrap, don't stuff your face with grains to the point of addiction, stay away from bpa, bgh, etc. Don't eat anywhere that has more than three locations. If anything ending in "ose" is the first or second ingredient, put it back on the shelf and step away. Just doing those things would improve most people's overall long term health.

Rambling... sorry. heh.
    I used to be such a gluten fiend, and I had no idea. I made my own bread, pizza, pasta, even seitan. But then I went on a low carb diet for a few days because I felt like I was eating too much starch and a miracle occurred. My arthritis went away and I could walk pain-free.

I never looked back. My household is gluten-free. I focus on foods I can eat, not pathetic gluten-free processed substitutes. I've been gluten-free over a decade now. Bread? I keep a loaf of a purchased gf bread in case somebody wants a slice. Pasta? Asian rice pasta. Pizza? This is fabulous. Try it.

I think it's hilarious when people say they can't live without wheat products. Or wouldn't want to. Seriously, willing to die over bad pizza and dried out burgers? Who has their priorities mixed up?

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think the OP's friend is using code for "I don't want to give up pasta, bread and chemically laden processed foods" personally. Because eating Primal is widely varied.

But like the first responder said, there's no point arguing with someone about their diet. He's going into it with eyes wide open. he admits his diet is going to result in less than optimal health.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast