Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with antibiotics? page

meeshar is offline Senior Member

Help with antibiotics?

Shop Now
    I'm on amoxicillin for a tooth infection, and this stuff is tearing me up. Foul gas, heartburn, stomach aches, etc. I'm taking extra probiotics (Digestive Advantage) and eating Bubbies fermented pickles. Is there a better probiotic that I should seek out? Any other ways to improve/restore my gut health? I may cut out the dairy temporarily, the first thing I notice when my guts are out of whack is that my tolerance for lactose goes way down. I wish I didn't have to take it, but sadly the tooth pain won that argument.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think that your probiotic only contains one strain of bacteria. Is that correct? If so, I would suggest trying to add in some probiotics with more strains of bacteria. I really like VSL#3 - although it is obscenely expensive. But there are a lot of other brands that are probably just as good.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    VSL#3, hands down the best. Good luck.

Thanks guys, but holy wow those are expensive. I see Florastor mentioned as a cheaper alternative, any opinions on that? I can get it at the local Walgreens, and even found a $5 off coupon for it online. It's expensive too, but not as bad as the VSL #3. I could at least try it, and get the VSL #3 after payday maybe.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member
    Florastor is a type of yeast that keeps down the Candida (yeast) population that tends to overgrow when antibiotics are used. VSL#3 provides beneficial bacteria that keep down pathological gut flora populations. They are different, not interchangeable.

You will save money in the long run with VSL#3 because it is so potent compared to what you can buy over the counter.

Pea

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalWannabeGirl View Post
    Florastor is a type of yeast that keeps down the Candida (yeast) population that tends to overgrow when antibiotics are used. VSL#3 provides beneficial bacteria that keep down pathological gut flora populations. They are different, not interchangeable.

You will save money in the long run with VSL#3 because it is so potent compared to what you can buy over the counter.

Pea
    I did not realize that, thanks!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Also, keep in mind that probably most, if not all, the probiotics you are supplementing with while on the antibiotic are being killed off. It might make more sense to wait until your round of amoxicillin is done and then follow it up with a probiotic blitzkrieg.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I'd wait til your done with the antibiotics before you start any probiotics. It's a waste of money and effort. Antibiotics kill the good along with the bad, no way around it.

Good call, thankfully tomorrow is my last day on the antibiotics, so by the time I get it in the mail I can start taking them. Thanks again for all the help!

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    Good call, thankfully tomorrow is my last day on the antibiotics, so by the time I get it in the mail I can start taking them. Thanks again for all the help!
    This may be helpful as well.

Choose items most feasible to your diet and continue for about a month or two while you are repopulating your gut flora.

After the gut flora is repopulated I would recommend taking a break from all supplements for about a week and see how you feel on your own terms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast