Thread: Hi all ! page

Metismomma is offline Senior Member

Hi all !

Primal Fuel
    Hi!
    I'm just getting started with primal diet though most of the concepts are not new to me.
    I grew up in a tiny town in northern Alberta where we lived off the land for the most part. I grew up eating meat and marrow from moose bones, beaver tails, saskatoons, garden grown vegetables, homemade bread, bannock fried in lard, pretty much a healthy traditional diet for my family.
    I started getting really interesting in nutrient dense foods (after years of eating the SAD) when my oldest daughter was 2. She developed a spot on her front teeth that turned out to be soft enemal I was actively involved in the mothering.com forums and found out about WAPF and curing cavities through nutrition. For the past 4 years I have been struggling to get my family to eat more traditionally. Unfortunately, I have to deal with my husband who nod and smiles then goes buy a bag of potato chips. He's thin and fit though despite his many many horrible habits and hypothyroidism. Seriously, love him dearly but I could cheerfullly choke him whenever he comes out of the bathroom and says "oops I accidently lost 10lbs. How did that happen?"
    In an effort to really get my children health under control( they both have teeth issues now) I decided to step up the fight to get our family to eat healthier. As it turns out I have one child that loves vegetables and breads while the other fits right into the primal lifestyle perfectly ( I've taken to calling her "Baby Grok" in my mind ) I'm also trying to help my own health issues. I have issues with sugar that I have found is reduced when I eat more fat. Natural progression lead me here.
    I love what I have discovered so far! It just might be the ticket to getting my husband on board too.
    I'm very excited about getting deeper into PB, I have a concrete direction and a place I can get all the answers I need.
    Last edited by Metismomma; 05-01-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    Calm the f**k down.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Wow - your story hits home!

My mother was on a course of antibiotics while pregnant with me and, lucky me, I ended up with incredibly porous teeth. Brushing 3x a day and flossing daily had little effect; until I started eating primally, I'd never had a dentist appointment that didn't require a filling. 6 months after starting a primal diet (years ago), I had my first cavity free check-up of my life. I've been a believer ever since.

Welcome and best of luck to you and yours!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Metismamma, and welcome! I can totally relate to how you grew up as I grew up on a homestead in Alaska. Then went to high school in Tucson, Arizona and then moved to Edmonton, Alberta, where I lived for 23 years before moving to Seattle, WA. My family lived on moose meat during my childhood, but I've never had beaver tail. I hope your husband gets on board with your primal plans very soon.

Thanks for the replies
    It looks like my dh is starting to actually. I've already lost a little weight, have more energy and seem just plain happier. He does still eat carbs but is definately interested in the way I've started eating. Case in point, yesterday he asked me how many carbs were in beer LOL
    Calm the f**k down.

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metismomma View Post
    Hi!
    I could cheerfullly choke him whenever he comes out of the bathroom and says "oops I accidently lost 10lbs. How did that happen?".
    Graphic, but tragically true. I hate men and their... MALE METABOLISMS!
    If there's a God, here's proof he's a male chauvinist douchebag with a sick sense of humour.

*gains a pound for hating men*
    *storms off*

*comes back*
    Oh yeah, welcome and I wish you the best of luck :3
    *storms off*

lol thanks Meaty I need all the luck I can get
    Calm the f**k down.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Originally Posted by Metismomma Hi!
    I could cheerfullly choke him whenever he comes out of the bathroom and says "oops I accidently lost 10lbs. How did that happen?".
    My husband is semi primal just because it's easier than fighting what I'm eating. It's hacking me off that he can live off of jerky, Spree, and Mexican food in the field and still lose 5 lbs by standing all day. I go out inthe field and walk around all day, eat PB and gain 3 lbs. GRRRRRR.... *Beats husband with Whack- a- mole mallet* *turns back to group* It gets easier to PB as time goes on, so long as you don't let yourself slide back. *Pounces husband that is sidling away and drags him to bedroom* Good luck!