Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MCT Oil as treatment page

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member

MCT Oil as treatment

Shop Now
    For anti-aging and other contiditions
    Nutrition Review - Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs)

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    You are on a roll with the good articles today. I love my MCT oil, I supplement at least 2tbsp a day, as well as use lots of coconut milk and and coconut oil.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    LOL, thanks itchy166. Where do you buy yours? Did you have any reactions when you first started it?

Paleobird Guest
    MCT is also widely used in keto diets for the treatment of epilepsy.

My question would be does the official MCT oil give you anything that you couldn't get directly from coconut products? There are some people who really don't like the taste of coconut so I suppose it would be good for them.

Also I am trying to locate a source for red palm oil also supposed to be high in MCTs. Anybody know of a good one?

My wife picked-up a couple of bottles from a health food store near our home.

I like the MCT as a supplement - its liquid at room temperature, and nearly flavourless. You aren't getting anything that you wouldn't get from coconut oil, just a more concentrated delivery. Its an excellent choice if you believe the Shangri-la concept (I'm not totally convinced)..

I use lots of coconut oil in my cooking, but the MCT as a supplement. I haven't come across any red palm oil yet.

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, I'm not really convinced on that whole "moving your setpoint" thing either. I think the SLD does work though because, by upping their oil intake and reducing their consumption of other foods, a lot of people are inadvertently doing the "Eat More Fat" plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, I'm not really convinced on that whole "moving your setpoint" thing either. I think the SLD does work though because, by upping their oil intake and reducing their consumption of other foods, a lot of people are inadvertently doing the "Eat More Fat" plan.
    That's kinda my take on it too.

Sometimes I roll into a work camp and my food choicesa are so poor that I IF instead. I basically live off mtc, coconut and caned tuna, salmon, sardines and oysters. Along with any raw fruit or vegetables I can get at camp.

The mtc's really help keep my calorie intake high when I'm stuck eating that way. (And help keep me in ketosis)

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I like the MCT oil in my morning smoothie, flavorless and it doesn't clump at the cool temperature of the smoothie (I could not get the coconut oil to do that). I use coconut milk as well as coconut oil throughout the day for various other things.

My DS skips breakfast, he is in high school and starts early-lunch is early as well, so I make him a BulletProof Coffee with the MCT and kerrygold, he doesn't care for the taste of coconut.

Here is a link (I have no connection nor do I make any money if you buy from here!) to where I found the best price. Our taxes are 9% so even with the shipping it is a pretty good deal (I buy 3 or 4 at a time)

NOW Foods MCT Oil | Medium Chain Triglycerides | MCT's Oil

p.s. I tried the SLD, didn't change my set point at all, also came to gag at the thought of just chugging it. Really good in smoothies or coffee though.
    Last edited by demuralist; 02-25-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I wonder about the MCT oils sold as supplements at the health stores - what are they extracted from?
    From the article:
    Until the early 1980s, MCTs were predominantly available only as a constituent of butter, coconut oil, and other natural sources. However, Dr. Vigen K. Babayan of the Nutrition Laboratory, Harvard University, developed a process to produce them in large quantities, to be used primarily for therapeutic uses in a number of conditions.
    So far I haven't been able to figure it out exactly what plant it is made of. The source is not listed on the labels either.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I just picked up some Now MCT Oil and have been taking it on and off the past week. I stated with a tsp in the morning for a couple of days and then a tablespoon after I have eaten. Do the runs end after awhile taking this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast