Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any servicemen/women out there or hikers with experience of hiking? page 2

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Agree with the idea of using a sandbag instead of plates. At the very least you should put some additional packing in there to stabilise everything a bit. On long yomps we used to use adhesive sanitary pads (maxi pads) to prevent blisters across the shoulders. Just stick one directly onto your skin on each side, running along where the straps will lie.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    If you're prepping for Basic Training, then rucking makes sense. Wear the boots, as well, you need to get your legs used to the weight of the boots.

If you're not prepping for Basic, then I heartily agree with the others who recommend learning to backpack light. I also follow the BPL forum previously recommended. One- get a pack that FITS your torso. I only found out last year that they make packs in different torso lengths and that gender has little to do with it. I'm a woman with a 21" torso (average woman is 15"-17") so I need a pack designed for a very tall person. If my pack is too small for my torso, I end up carrying all the weight of the pack on my shoulders, which is no fun. A well fitting pack will carry the weight on your hips. Your big 3 items (pack, shelter, sleeping bag/quilt) should be under 3# each max. Check out BPL and also hikelight.com for more info, if backpacking is your focus. Study up before you buy- otherwise you'll be like me and buy something only to find out that there was something better and buy that too. Ha. I could outfit 3 backpackers right now.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't know why anyone would purposefully choose to backpack heavy. It's so much more fun to go light, fast and far.
    For me it's a time issue.

Thanks for the link. I am gonna hike the Colorado Trail this summer (all 500 miles) split into about 4 or 5 trips. Info on there should help.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    there's an external metal frame and there's a waist strap, but i believe it's broke. i'm rucking because i plan on joining the Marine Corps soon and i'd be shipping in 2014. i'm not in the best of shape, and i know it's "chronic cardio" but i've been running, sprinting, doing pull ups and crunches and wanted to incorporate doing some long humps in there some where thanks so much everyone for your input!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    For me it's a time issue.

Thanks for the link. I am gonna hike the Colorado Trail this summer (all 500 miles) split into about 4 or 5 trips. Info on there should help.
    The longer/farther the hike the less gear you will need. Long distance hikers pretty much invented ultralight backpacking.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breetbree View Post
    there's an external metal frame and there's a waist strap, but i believe it's broke. i'm rucking because i plan on joining the Marine Corps soon and i'd be shipping in 2014. i'm not in the best of shape, and i know it's "chronic cardio" but i've been running, sprinting, doing pull ups and crunches and wanted to incorporate doing some long humps in there some where thanks so much everyone for your input!
    Yeah, so hiking stuff doesn't really apply and that sounds like an ALICE pack. I'd suggest bricks (duct tape them) or sandbags for your training weights.

I'm not sure what the USMC standards are, but US Army standard is: 12 miles in 3 hours with 45 lbs (not counting water). You won't have to do that in basic, but you should train towards that goal.
    That works out to 15 min/miles or 4 mph, I would suggest you always train at that pace (give or take).

Increase weight or distance one at a time, not both simultaneously. You should try to at least be able to do 45 lbs for 5-8 miles @ 15-16 min/miles when you go to basic.

Just to give you an idea: ruck sacks in the real world usually weight 70+ lbs; my 3 day ruck sack weighs in at 80#, plus water, body armor and ammo.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    i'd just like to ease into it a bit and work my way up to hopefully i 70+ pound load carrying that for a while. and sandbags sound good, i just don't have a scale so i couldn't see how much i'm carrying. i have 80 half pound weights for a weighted vest i could probably tape together or something? i think that could possibly help with the weight shifting situation. thanks =)

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Woah, easy tiger, you're going to need many months/ years to get up to humping 70 lbs. Right now you don't need any more than 40-50, and you should be starting with 20lbs.

Brick are my favorite, 1 brick is 5 lbs. I tape them up in packs of two, so you can load up in 10 lbs increments.

Again you don't need to do anything more than 40 lbs for a while. Work on getting your pace up to 15min/miles without running or heel striking.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12