Thread: Green Tea, After a Work Out? page

Brian Nametko is offline Junior Member

Question Green Tea, After a Work Out?

Primal Fuel
    I drink plenty of green tea throughout the day. I try to have some right after every meal. I also read in a fitness magazine that it's great to have after a work out. Is this true and does anyone do the same?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Depends on what your goals are, but I would on a general basis say no! Coffee or tea can help you by losing some weight when eating less, but the time after workout is the best time to shuttle some healthy nutrients into your body, so some milk would probably be a better idea after working out...

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Depends on what your goals are, but I would on a general basis say no! Coffee or tea can help you by losing some weight when eating less, but the time after workout is the best time to shuttle some healthy nutrients into your body, so some milk would probably be a better idea after working out...
    This is bunk. Just because you MIGHT want to eat after a workout (and I personally believe the "metabolic widow" is overhyped as long as you're eating healthy) it doesn't mean that drinking some tea of any variety is going to harm you and/or be a bad idea. Feel free to eat something if you really feel you need to, but who says you can't have some tea with that?

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I highly recommend that you stop taking the advice found in CW fitness magazines to heart.

Drink tea whenever you want.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

little vase is online now Senior Member
    I don't know whether or not it's "true" but green tea is loaded with anti-oxidants and as the barefoot contessa says, "How bad can that be"? It's good for ya. Have yer tea.

*clinks teacups in solidarity*

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    This is bunk. Just because you MIGHT want to eat after a workout (and I personally believe the "metabolic widow" is overhyped as long as you're eating healthy) it doesn't mean that drinking some tea of any variety is going to harm you and/or be a bad idea. Feel free to eat something if you really feel you need to, but who says you can't have some tea with that?
    Yup, feel free to do whatever, but did he not ask for an advise then? And it is not "bunk" taking in nutrients after a workout, or even under a workout, just ask some advanced athletes if you know some! But everybody are free to do whatever they like and depending on their goals, and taking in diuretic drinks like green tea or coffee when the body tries to get water into the cells sound awkward for recuperation post workout, but thats just me...

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yup, feel free to do whatever, but did he not ask for an advise then? And it is not "bunk" taking in nutrients after a workout, or even under a workout, just ask some advanced athletes if you know some! But everybody are free to do whatever they like and depending on their goals, and taking in diuretic drinks like green tea or coffee when the body tries to get water into the cells sound awkward for recuperation post workout, but thats just me...
    After a workout, the body is under quite a bit of oxidative stress. Tea is a pretty good antioxidant. It seems to me that tea would help with the recovery in that case. Besides, tea isn't really going to have much of a diuretic effect unless you're having something like three or more cups of it.

And I know a number of fairly high level athletes who regularly forgo their post-workout "feedings" and still compete in top tiers. Warrior Diet and UFC fighters anyone?