Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Former anoretic having issues starting primal page

Megatron is offline Member

Former anoretic having issues starting primal

Shop Now
    Hi guys. My name is Meg and I'm from Brooklyn, NY. I have an issue I have not been able to find on here, and would like some advice.

I had anorexia from about 2004-2007, bulimia 2006-2012 with some overlap and relapses. Hospitalized, drugs, the whole thing, yay! For the most part, I'm healthy and recovered. I'm 5'8 and weigh 135 (as opposed to 106). I was vegan from 06-09, was raised vegetarian before then, only started eating meat in 2011.

My sister started doing Primal to get rid of a bunch of health problems and to get pregnant- which she did, and her health problems cleared away (blood sugar issues, thyroid, polyps, etc) I have similar issues and I have been doing Primal since about a week ago. In particular, my blood pressure is very very low and my blood sugar is out of whack. I pass out very easily and I'm nauseated all the time. I got the ok from my doctor to start eating this way, by the way.

I initially started eating about 80 carbs a day, but that was impossible for me, the carb flu was so intense. I literally was falling asleep at my job, did not have the strength to walk a few blocks, fell asleep at 8pm and woke up at 6 feeling exhausted. My feet were always asleep or tingling, terrible muscle spasms and my joints hurt. I was mentally fogged and started crying at the drop of a hat. Terrible migraines that I haven't had since high school. It was like the worst depression of my life, and that's saying something. I upped to 100-150 carbs a day. I don't feel quite as bad but I still am very very tired, very sad, very achey and headachey, and mentally fogged. Like being unpleasantly drunk all the time. I read about the carb flu and people say it takes weeks or months to get over- I don't think I can do that, if it's going to be this bad. I have a creative job and I can't be mentally fogged, plus I walk 4 miles a day back and forth to my job.

I eat a lot of eggs, meat (lamb, beef mostly) and lots of fat- probably 3x the fat I'm used to eating. For carbs I eat berries, leafy greens, sweet potatoes.

I am wondering, since my diet was about 70-80% carb before, is this very strong reaction just what my body needs to recover? Or has my crazy eating (in bulimic days, I could eat 4,000 calories of nothing but sugary carbs in one sitting) just messed my body up so bad? Non bulimic I used to eat a lot of sugar and just recently quit smoking (about 2 months ago) if that helps.

Ok, sorry that was so long. I guess I want to know, has anyone ever had it this bad, or been in a similar situation, and is there a solution?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to make a suggestion that with your background you don't count anything and just allow yourself to eat any primal food you feel for in whatever quantity satiates you for at least a few months. Perhaps revisit the macro issue later. After a few months you might just find that you naturally migrate to a comfortable ratio.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Seconded on not weighing or counting anything.

Focus on quality nutrient dense foods. If you've stopped anything made with sugar or grasses, I think you're off to a great start.

One thing you might find is that your haziness is actually a salt deficiency, since there's lots of stuff hidden in processed foods. I found that I use pink salt MUCH more (I never added salt to anything pre-primal). Maybe look into Magnesium supplements?
    Last edited by magicmerl; 02-24-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the others but also want to ask if you're eating anything that you didn't eat before. For example, you mention 'a lot' of eggs. Did you always eat a lot of eggs?

I've never had 'carb flu' (my body seems to thrive on low carb), but I have a reaction similar to yours when I eat something that I'm 'sensitive' to in terms of food.

I mention is this as a possibility.

Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it.

One of my biggest problems is I always count (carbs/fats/calories), it's automatic, something I'm trying to get rid of, mentally. I also have a difficult time telling if I'm hungry or full. I can tell I'm 'hungry' because I feel dizzy, lightheaded, and sad. So it's easy to confuse.

I think you're right about the salt thing. I am supposed to eat a lot of salt because of my BP, so adding more wouldn't hurt.

Emmie, I eat about 3 eggs a day. I never thought that might be a problem. I grew up eating a lot of eggs and used to subsist on a lot of egg whites, but it might be a problem...hmm. Might go a few days without them and see what happens.

Cierra, thank you, and congrats on your recovery as well! So hard. It's crazy to think of the years spent with steamed veggies and 'light' bread, right??? I am going to research those vitamins and get some.

fernaly is offline Junior Member
    Megatron, how many calories are you consuming on average daily? 3 eggs doesn't seem like a lot - some folks here talk about 5 or 6 in just one meal. I'm just wondering if what feels like "a lot" of food for you might still be rather low. Also maybe look into vitamin supplementation at least for now - you've been starving for years so your body may be very depleated of important vitamins and minerals that will take some time to replenish now that you are eating nutritious foods. Your gut flora may also need to be rebuilt with probiotics - greek yogurt, kefir, fermented foods. You need a healthy gut to get the most out of your foods. The l glutamine also helos promote intestinal health. Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by fernaly View Post
    Megatron, how many calories are you consuming on average daily? 3 eggs doesn't seem like a lot - some folks here talk about 5 or 6 in just one meal. I'm just wondering if what feels like "a lot" of food for you might still be rather low. Also maybe look into vitamin supplementation at least for now - you've been starving for years so your body may be very depleated of important vitamins and minerals that will take some time to replenish now that you are eating nutritious foods. Your gut flora may also need to be rebuilt with probiotics - greek yogurt, kefir, fermented foods. You need a healthy gut to get the most out of your foods. The l glutamine also helos promote intestinal health. Just my 2 cents
    2,200-2,500 calories. Yeah, my gut is fried! I take a lot of antacids, so probiotics would probably help a lot! Thank you.

rpenfuyf is offline Banned
    I am supposed to eat a lot of salt because of my BP

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    First of all, congrats on your commitment to getting well and stoping smoking! You're on the right path and it's a hard long road. I encourage you to hang in there with primal eating and take a break from all the macro counting and try to eat intuitively (I know this is hard when you have an ED). You may need more than 150g of carbs and it may be ok. Give it a shot for a while. Are you taking a good omega-3 and consuming some healthy grass-fed meat? It may help with the feelings of anxiety and depression. Magnesium may also help with body aches and anxiety. Has your BP responded to the change in diet and increase in calories?

wildthing is offline Junior Member
    I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS on beating anorexia and bulimia, and welcome to being a grokstar!

I second everyone is recommending that you try to let go of counting- well, let me put it this way: I too automatically count, but I try to remind myself that the numbers don't matter. They are meaningless. What matters is that I am nourishing myself, body and soul, and the food I eat is delicious and nourishing. I repeat "nourishing" because "healthy" has come to mean "low calorie", and that's a very narrow focus.

There are so many delicious Primal recipes out here- I'm eating bacon and mixed veggies right now and it is sooooo good for such a simple meal! I've done a lot of work around fat and body image and all that hooey and with all the nonsense out there floating around, I'm just grateful to be able to enjoy a good meal- that's just one of the reasons I love the Primal Blueprint.

Anyway, I didn't mean to preach to the choir. I just wanted to say welcome and good luck, and I'm pulling for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast