Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close

Thread: Not able to maintain Low Carb

Threaded View

United States

Not able to maintain Low Carb

Just reaching out to the Primal Community to see if anybody had similar experiences...

Eating low-carb clean Paleo, I'm able to maintain about 3 or 4 days max of eating low-carb. Things like eggs, all kinds of meats, butter, lard, and vegetables all to satiety. I'm always in tune with the "eating messages" of my body. I eat when I'm hungry and don't overeat. I feel good but then I run into a wall.

About the 3rd or 4th day, however, my body sends out these insatiable urges to eat some carbohydrates. No matter how much protein, fat, or veggies I eat, I don't feel satisfied. I'm on a single pointed hunt for carbs. It's only when I eat some Paleo carbs (fruit, tubers, honey, etc.) that I can finally feel full and stop having food on my mind.

Anybody with a similar experience? Suggestions?

What if it's a nutritional deficiency? For a long time, I've been following Dr. Phinney's advice to increase sodium levels on a low carb diet to maintain energy levels.

Here's a link to a potassium recommendation for optimal health. They recommend 4,700 mg a day. I don't think that number is achievable without eating a ton of produce (fruits & vegetables). That's a lot but it's a number I will be aiming for.

Definitely, not getting enough from the foods I normally eat. Not eating enough vegetables and compounding that with consuming a lot of sodium.

Potassium in 100g of steak - 310 mg of Potassium.
    1 Egg - 90mg
    Chicken - 250mg

No wonder I've been craving these foods. Potatoes, Bananas, Oranges, Spinach, Tomatoes, Mushrooms, even Milk. They are high in Ka.
    Last edited by Eddoword; 02-24-2013 at 04:49 PM.