Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 59

Thread: Not able to maintain Low Carb page 5

  1. #41
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    There's higher fat green vegetables that you could easily eat to get your EFA requirement. Both 06 and 03. The actual biological requirement is so small that no one is going to realistically run into a deficient. Fat deficiencies were only discovered by putting people on 0% fat tube feeding formulas in which they started to develop symptoms after weeks/months. A cup of oatmeal itself contains about 10g of fat. A cup of corn contains about 6g of fat as well.
    Yep. Even a 2000 calorie diet of all fruit and veg (no fatty fruits) will end up with around 10g fat. That doesnt mean that 10g fat is optimal but it is virtually impossible to be deficient in EFA's.

    So just like one could say that there is no essential carb, another could say that there is no reason to eat fat. But neither way is optimal for health.

  2. #42
    The Rebooted Body's Avatar
    The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    This is like saying im addicted to water because if i stop drinking anything for a few days i start to crave it. We have a "sweet tooth" for a reason.
    Actually, it's not anything like that.

  3. #43
    The Rebooted Body's Avatar
    The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yep. Even a 2000 calorie diet of all fruit and veg (no fatty fruits) will end up with around 10g fat. That doesnt mean that 10g fat is optimal but it is virtually impossible to be deficient in EFA's.

    So just like one could say that there is no essential carb, another could say that there is no reason to eat fat. But neither way is optimal for health.
    And which of those fruits and veggies is going to get you your Vitamin B12? You're sinking really fast here.

  4. #44
    Forgotmylastusername's Avatar
    Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    And which of those fruits and veggies is going to get you your Vitamin B12? You're sinking really fast here.
    Who said anything about b12. We're talking about FAT. Essential fatty acid requirements can be met by fruits and green vegetables alone. Neither carbohydrate or overt fat sources are essential. It doesn't make them optimal or desirable but you hear the "no carbohydrate is essential" catchphrase all the time from committed low carbers.

  5. #45
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    B12 is irrelevant to that example. He's making the point that the human body's requirement for dietary fatty acids is theoretically very low, as with carbohydrates, so it isn't logical to claim the body needs fat but not carbohydrates. Same for other things as well, like cholesterol and sodium. But does anyone on this forum recommend only eating the bare minimum requirement for cholesterol, sodium and fatty acids?

    But glucose... who needs it, right?

  6. #46
    Ayla2010's Avatar
    Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,296
    All you can do is what works for you.
    If its not working tweak things around and find what fits you best.

  7. #47
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    B12 is irrelevant to that example. He's making the point that the human body's requirement for dietary fatty acids is theoretically very low, as with carbohydrates, so it isn't logical to claim the body needs fat but not carbohydrates. Same for other things as well, like cholesterol and sodium. But does anyone on this forum recommend only eating the bare minimum requirement for cholesterol, sodium and fatty acids?

    But glucose... who needs it, right?
    Good point.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

  8. #48
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,289
    It's a straw man argument anyway, since people who favor low carbs are not saying 0 carbs, although those who favor extremely high carb extremely low fat diets are claiming that they are.

    Claiming the fat in "green vegetables" is enough really is saying that <2 grams of fat is enough. Backtrack and claim you meant "avocados" if it makes you guys feel better, but avocados aren't a green vegetable any more than tofu is.

  9. #49
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It's a straw man argument anyway, since people who favor low carbs are not saying 0 carbs, although those who favor extremely high carb extremely low fat diets are claiming that they are.

    Claiming the fat in "green vegetables" is enough really is saying that <2 grams of fat is enough. Backtrack and claim you meant "avocados" if it makes you guys feel better, but avocados aren't a green vegetable any more than tofu is.
    Its not 2g, i just said a 2000 calorie diet of fruit/veg will net 10g of fat. Enough to live off of. Its not optimal but it can be done, just like eating under 30~g of carbs means you essentially eat 0 carb sources.

  10. #50
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,305
    How is it not equally ridiculous to argue that carbs aren't essential because we can produce glucose via gluconeogenesis? I think the de facto argument is including all macros is more likely to be optimal; relying on secondary processes for fats or glucose isn't necessarily optimal for most even if it's technically possible and livable or, at times, an extremely beneficial hack that modern humans discovered and ancient humans resorted to for survival, not for everyday idealistic living.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •