Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Not able to maintain Low Carb page 3

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Yeah, it's called being human and having a normal functioning metabolism. Try living without solid food or water and I'll bet you'll start craving those as well.
    I swear it sounds like some of you are trying to torture yourselves sometimes. Imagine a Low fat raw foodist forum members saying something like " I haven't eaten any fat for 2 months and I'm craving it so bad but abstaining, what the hell is WRONG with me and why do I feel like this?" It's exactly the same face palming situation.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 02-24-2013 at 10:34 PM.

moonlights is offline Junior Member
    Not really, because the human body requires fat to function. It doesn't require carbs. Carbohydrate is the only nonessential micronutrient - everything it gives your body (ie: glucose) your body can also get efficiently from fat and protein.

I've been eating under 30g carb daily for nearly a year now. It's not always easy, the modern world throws a lot of carbs in our faces and nearly all convenience foods are carb traps. But it's very doable with no ill effect. I can also eat a ton of veggies: asparagus, spinach, broccoli, courgette, cauliflower, tomato, mushroom, rhubarb - all whole keeping my carbs at this level. I often have wholly veggie days.

It sounds to me like you're not getting past the initial glycogen depletion stage. It's very normal to feel rubbish after 5 days. It takes a few weeks to get settled - sometimes a little longer. But for me personally it's the highest energy, fastest weight loss method I've tried.

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    For me, it's not that I feel bad at 3-4 days. I actually feel good! So I don't think for me it's sugar addiction or carb flu. But like OP said, there is an urge that kicks in (for me it's at about 7 days) to find carbs. I look a meat and think "ick".

It makes me think that my body craves carbs because I need them. I'm not talking loads of crap, I'm talking a couple of pieces of fruit a day!

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Yes you require fats but an extremely miniscule amount to meet your requirements like the amounts you can find in green vegetables. Optimal amount? maybe not but the same goes for carbs, just because you can live on barely any doesn't make it a good idea.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    The other part about successful VLC is micronutrient content. Too many VLC people focus solely on macronutrient ratios and don't focus enough on QUALITY food. You WILL feel like crap VLC if you don't pay attention to quality (especially in the realm of fats).
    This is another part of my trouble with it before. Not enough micronutrient, and not enough calories at the end of the day. Which meant no energy, and for the most just going through the motions.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I also missed the refeed part. That was another part of my trouble.
    Just my opinion, but if I were to go extended VLC again and my body wanted carbs, I would give it to it. That is the refeed part. I am thinking nothing is wrong, I am thinking it is what is needed. Some with medical issues might need to resist, but I think that is what I should have done, and then VLC would have served me better.

Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple

That article discusses refeeds, but also note close to the beginning, it also says...
    I initially recommend low carb....
    that doesnt mean everyone needs to stay VLC. But if I were to do it again, I would have to stay on top of things, like making sure I get enough calories, enough nutrients, because I had absolutely no energy (though some do but I think I didnt probably because calories were just too low) but I would definitely do refeeds especially on a work out day. But I didnt have work out days before, because of low energy. I just missed several key pieces of information that would have made it a better experience for me.

The purpose, as I see it, of carb refeeds is the restoration of leptin levels in the dieter. As we know, caloric restriction reduces leptin levels. With lower leptin comes increased hunger and reduced adherence to a diet. Cravings arise. Energy wanes, immunity suffers. The lack of leptin elicits the cascade of hormones that down regulate metabolism and energy expenditure. Your muscles use less energy and become more efficient but weaker and less effective. Menstruation and fertility become issues. Dropping calories even more just makes the problem worse. You need to restore leptin, at least for a bit, to right the path. A carb refeed can help you achieve this.

65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Eat carbs?

I understand what you are saying about carb creep (going from 100 to 200 grams), but just take the inititative to stay on top of that. You know, track your eating. It's a pain in the ass, but if you want that last 20 gone, it might take some control/discipline and minor discomfort. (whether you go VLC or make sure that 100 grams of carbs don't become 200).

It sounds like a lot of people effortlessly lose weight, then kind of stall. It happens. Then you do end up needing some restriction and possibly some discomfort. Realize it is temporary. There is no magic. I'm down to my last 25 lbs. It has taken eating 100% clean paleo to budge close to 1 lb a week. It's a slog, LOL. And I work out. It is what it is.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Yes you require fats but an extremely miniscule amount to meet your requirements like the amounts you can find in green vegetables. Optimal amount? maybe not but the same goes for carbs, just because you can live on barely any doesn't make it a good idea.
    I wouldn't go as far as suggesting such a small amount; but yes, after your body has met its requirements from dietary fat, all the rest won't bring any other benefits. All the rest is just so that you get enough calories to maintain your weight - personal preference I'd say; of course, if you have a truly metabolic problem, and not psychosomatic symptoms, which people do have, then that's a different case regarding carbs/fats.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    16 ounces broccoli = 1.68 grams of fat

I would go insane eating that little fat and end up having a massive binge after visions of chocolate mousse, boursin, and fatty meat. I suppose there are people who can live on what is essentially a fat free diet as you describe. I know I couldn't, and I know diet forums are full of people who are blaming themselves for binging after being on such a diet for not very long.

Eating <2 grams of fat is far more imbalanced than eating 30 - 50 grams of carbs each day.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 02-25-2013 at 07:13 AM.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I have this exact experience- I can go low carb for a few days, then my body cries out for carbs and I give in. Interestingly, several times it's the day after the carb re-feed that I lose weight. You'd think I'd balloon up but it's the exact opposite. Since it appears to work for my body, I don't fret about it.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

jakey is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlights View Post
    Not really, because the human body requires fat to function. It doesn't require carbs. Carbohydrate is the only nonessential micronutrient - everything it gives your body (ie: glucose) your body can also get efficiently from fat and protein... It sounds to me like you're not getting past the initial glycogen depletion stage.
    you may not require carbs, but you certainly require glucose, and the body's ability to manufacture it from substrates does not come without added stress. not everyone's body adapts to gluconeogenesis equally well. this is where the word 'optimal' comes into play. it just aint optimal for everyone. what's the point of forcing yourself to deplete all glycogen. there's nothing particularly 'natural' about that.

also, everytime someone points out that you don't need to eat carbs to make glucose, i'd like to point out that you don't need to eat a single solitary drop of saturated fat to manufacture all the saturated fat you'll need. no essential carbs, no essential saturated fat, or monounsaturated fat either. essential only applies to the n6 and n3 fats, and denotes the fact that you can't make them. i dare you to eat a low-fat vegan diet and manage to avoid all n6 and n3. it won't happen.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast