Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Not able to maintain Low Carb page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddoword View Post
    Maybe I've nailed down the diet part but need to exercise more?
    Maybe. Maybe you are at your healthy weight already and the last few pounds are for cosmetic/vanity purposes only?

Maybe it's the type of carbs you rare eating? Not many people overeat on carrots and courgettes.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    I was white-knuckling the high-fat, low-carb for months, and truly never NEVER feeling satisfied. I remember one night I had half a dozen eggs, bacon, sausage, all smothered in ghee, and the moment I put my spoon down I realized I was still ravenous. What seems to be working for me is adding a cup or two of grape tomatoes to my day. Just that singular addition has made a world of difference... can't explain why, but I'm thinking it's the increased carbs. I'm still under 60 or 70g carbs every day (on top of the tomatoes I have an avocado and maybe some olives, plus chicken or beef), but I finally feel good.

Tomatoes are somewhere between fruit and vegetable... do with that what you will.

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Just reaching out to the Primal Community to see if anybody had similar experiences...

Eating low-carb clean Paleo, I'm able to maintain about 3 or 4 days max of eating low-carb. Things like eggs, all kinds of meats, butter, lard, and vegetables all to satiety. I'm always in tune with the "eating messages" of my body. I eat when I'm hungry and don't overeat. I feel good but then I run into a wall.

About the 3rd or 4th day, however, my body sends out these insatiable urges to eat some carbohydrates. No matter how much protein, fat, or veggies I eat, I don't feel satisfied. I'm on a single pointed hunt for carbs. It's only when I eat some Paleo carbs (fruit, tubers, honey, etc.) that I can finally feel full and stop having food on my mind.

Anybody with a similar experience? Suggestions?
    This is me almost exactly. I can usually make it past about 5 days- past that hump where I am pretty sure I've burned thru my glycogen stores. I start feeling really good- lots of energy, no water retention- it's ketosis maybe? Anyway, after about a week, I find myself never satisfied and irritated at the idea of more meat and green veg with little else! All I want is an apple! Or a glass of wine! And so, usually, I give in and go overboard and then end up in a puddle on the floor questioning all I though to be the truth of the power of VLC.
    I'm toying with one of two options when I get to the point of "can't do VLC for another second!"
    1) have a carb day- lots of high quality carbs in hefty quantities with lower protein and fat. Then, the next day, back on the VLC horse. I guess this is carb cycling.
    OR
    2) try to incorporate a bit of fruit or sweet potato on a daily basis, but really try to be diligent about limiting to a serving or two a day. This is hard for me- like you mentioned a little fruit can be a slippery slope.

I really seem to need to eat low carb to loose weight. I hate that I can't maintain it tho- there has to be another way!!!

Sorry, I can't give advice, just commiserate!
    Last edited by aimlow; 02-24-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Eddoword is offline Junior Member
    Wow, I never knew it was a common situation. This could just be a normal biological response just like drinking water when feeling thirsty.

The longest stretch I've maintained VLC was 6 weeks. Once. And I haven't been able to get on that wagon again.

I know what that's all about. To exert so much willpower even when you've had a long streak to keep VLC going doesn't seem right.

When just a little bit of hidden sugar/starch (i.e. in sauces when eating out, etc.) throws me off and makes me haywire and ultra-hyper, it just seemed like it wasn't the optimal way to eat.

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    I did the same thing.. Good for 3-4 days and then I would crave carbs like crazy. My success came when I started saving most carbs until evening meal. You sleep better too.

I'd eat uncured bacon, eggs and some veggie, usually broccoli with a little cheese every morning, take vitamin, drink lots of filtered water, macadamia nuts or olives for snack, then lunch would be a BAS with grilled chicken, strawberries in cream or hard boiled egg for snack, dinner would be small steak, pork chop, etc with 1/2 sweet potato and veggies like roasted squash or green beans, asparagus, or peas.. If I skipped berries & cream in afternoon, I'd have it at night.

You've got to begin an exercise program. I started walking (treadmill) 1 mile daily, now I do 2.5 twice a day.. Look up shovelglove on here and start swinging, it's so much fun.. play outside with kids or pets, sit in sunshine, meditate or pray, swim in the summer, you've got to keep moving.. And keeping most of your carbs until pm will stop the cravings and give you something to look forward to everyday.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Timber View Post
    From my point of view, VLC is not very logical. Somewhere along the line, because LC seemed good, VLC just had to be better. While there are those with medical conditions that benefit greatly from VLC, I think that the majority would do great just keeping it LC.
    This. I think that was part of my trouble VLC. I read the bold part. Glazed over on the rest.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning
    Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

I also missed the refeed part. That was another part of my trouble.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ludobear View Post
    On regular days, how many carbs are you taking in? Below 50g a day is incredibly difficult to maintain.
    Maybe for some. I effortlessly maintain below 50g a day when I want to.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the Avocado.

I totally understand it's not magic. Here's why I'm eating less than 50g carbs:
    I started my Paleo journey at 210 and am trying to lose the last 20 lbs to get to my goal weight of 160 at 5'10". If I eat over 50g carbs daily, I find that it's a slippery slope and tend to overeat them. I might initially be eating 50g-100g, but it creeps up to 200g+ easily.

Eating the way I've described, I've been eating at maintenance and am at a steady weight for over a year now. Maybe I've nailed down the diet part but need to exercise more?
    Have you considered that your body ravages for carbs on day 4 to 5 every time because you have some degree of addiction? This is a classic sign of extinction bursts.

I had a very hard time maintaining low carb for the first 30 days because I was a sugar addict. That was over a year and a half ago. I went from 220 to 175 in 6 months back then (I'm now currently approaching 160). I can effortlessly go below 50g per day for as many days as I choose and often will be in Ketosis.

I'm not VLC all the time, but VLC is quite easy now when I choose to do it. Perhaps you have an underlying addiction (at least to some degree) that you need to address?

The other part about successful VLC is micronutrient content. Too many VLC people focus solely on macronutrient ratios and don't focus enough on QUALITY food. You WILL feel like crap VLC if you don't pay attention to quality (especially in the realm of fats).
    Last edited by The Rebooted Body; 02-24-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    Maybe for some. I effortlessly maintain below 50g a day when I want to.
    Yes, except for me its everyday.
    If you don't feel great doing it, then you need to change something. It does work fine for plenty of people, but some not so much. You will have to try adding some more in, and see how you go, and work out what level is needed for you.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    Have you considered that your body ravages for carbs on day 4 to 5 every time because you have some degree of addiction?
    Yeah. The question I would ask of the people having issues: did you make it thru the initial carbo-crash period which happens around day 3-5? Or you did give up every time and thus are still addicted? It sounds like still being addicted to white-carbs, but just spacing them out every three days.

The crash sucks. I knew it was going to suck and was prepared. Around day three I was knocked out; slept a lot and allowed myself a half an orange at times just to stay functional for work, but never a grain of rice, never a drop of milk, and worked my way off the occassional fruit too. After a week I was mostly converted to this nutrition but still somewhat weak (but never cheating), around two-three weeks I was totally converted and feeling great.

My woman had the same experience. She was a HUGE carbo-addict (white rice, noodles, sugar, banana, yogurt...these were probably 80% of her calories!). She crashed hard to where she couldn't even function for an entire weekend, then bam Monday was up and running.

But if you don't make it thru the crash it seems like maybe you're just lengthening the crash period indefinitely?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast