Thread: Starting with limited choices page

Metismomma is offline Senior Member

Question Starting with limited choices

Shop Now
    Hi all!
    I'm new to primal living, though not to the concept of eating more fat. I have been a fan of "Eat Fat,Lose Fat" and the WAPF for awhile now. I've just started trying to eat more primal and watching my carb intake.
    Only problem is, this is not the best time for me to start! We have limited funds right now, so going shopping for the food I need to succeed is out. Here is what I have:
    1 large jars virgin coconut oil
    1 bottle of each : olive oil and grapeseed oil
    2 lbs of butter
    lots of hamburger, pork chops,bacon, breakfast sausage
    1/2 dz eggs (I love my eggs and so do my kids)
    1 1/2 bell peppers
    lots of onions
    celery
    peanut butter
    a cucumber
    apples
    lots of frozen vegetables, though mainly peas/carrot/corn mix
    small amount of salad/lettuce
    the rest is high carb, we're talking potatoes, brown rice, pasta, cereal and my absolute favorite: popcorn(but only if its popped in coconut oil and slathered with butter and sea salt.)

So considering my situation, should I hold off dropping the carbs so much or just work with what I got? Considering what I got, any quick easy recipes I work with?
    thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
    Calm the f**k down.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Are you trying to lose weight or just maintain good health? If you want to lose a fair amount of weight axing the carbs and eating more fat is the key. If you don't have weight issues, get rid of the grains regardless. They're not the least bit healthful, even the rice. Good alternatives are sweet potato, squashes, and the like.

Regardless, axe the grapeseed oil. That is liquid death. Good healthy fats are coconut, olive oil, lard, beef tallow, butter (assuming no sensativity), palm oil, and basically anything with little omega 6. WARF would not approve of grapeseed and neither would Grok. Also be sure to get adequate animal-based omega 3 fatty acids. Since that is probably conventional meat and eggs be sure to take fish/krill oil on days you don't eat a fair amount of fish.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Sterling is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metismomma View Post
    Hi all!
    I'm new to primal living, though not to the concept of eating more fat. I have been a fan of "Eat Fat,Lose Fat" and the WAPF for awhile now. I've just started trying to eat more primal and watching my carb intake.
    Only problem is, this is not the best time for me to start! We have limited funds right now, so going shopping for the food I need to succeed is out. Here is what I have:
    1 large jars virgin coconut oil
    1 bottle of each : olive oil and grapeseed oil
    2 lbs of butter
    lots of hamburger, pork chops,bacon, breakfast sausage
    1/2 dz eggs (I love my eggs and so do my kids)
    1 1/2 bell peppers
    lots of onions
    celery
    peanut butter
    a cucumber
    apples
    lots of frozen vegetables, though mainly peas/carrot/corn mix
    small amount of salad/lettuce
    the rest is high carb, we're talking potatoes, brown rice, pasta, cereal and my absolute favorite: popcorn(but only if its popped in coconut oil and slathered with butter and sea salt.)

So considering my situation, should I hold off dropping the carbs so much or just work with what I got? Considering what I got, any quick easy recipes I work with?
    thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
    This might help: http://sterlingadvice.blogspot.com/2...-fat-loss.html

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Are you trying to lose weight or just maintain good health? If you want to lose a fair amount of weight axing the carbs and eating more fat is the key. If you don't have weight issues, get rid of the grains regardless. They're not the least bit healthful, even the rice. Good alternatives are sweet potato, squashes, and the like.

Regardless, axe the grapeseed oil. That is liquid death. Good healthy fats are coconut, olive oil, lard, beef tallow, butter (assuming no sensativity), palm oil, and basically anything with little omega 6. WARF would not approve of grapeseed and neither would Grok. Also be sure to get adequate animal-based omega 3 fatty acids. Since that is probably conventional meat and eggs be sure to take fish/krill oil on days you don't eat a fair amount of fish.
    OK lets see. I have some weight to lose, but not overly worried about it. I'm more into getting healthier and stronger. I would love to subsitute my carbs for sweet potato, squashes and the like but money is a huge issue atm.
    As for the grapeseed, well I don't actually use it. Its for *ahem* massage...but it was there so I thought I would mention that I had it available.
    I forgot to mention that I do have tuna and sardines (slurp, love sardines!) and take halibut liver oil regularly.
    I'm trying to keep my carbs between 75-100g for now, though once our money issues are back on track I can lower it abit more. Currently my fat % is around 50, protien and carbs are about even. Its just really difficult to get the extra fat in without eating spoonfuls of coconut oil! Though it is tempting...:lol
    Calm the f**k down.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    I make potato or brown rice for my family but just eat the meat and veg.

I love my crockpot! Yesterday was pork with carrot and onion. Today is chicken legs with garlicy spices.
    Eat the meat. Slather fats on your vegetables. I think you can manage with what you have.