Thread: Eating 100 grams of carbs per day...sugar or complex carbs, does it matter? page

rkd80 is offline Member

Eating 100 grams of carbs per day...sugar or complex carbs, does it matter?

Hi everyone!

So I was wondering, from a purely carb/sugar/glucose perspective, does it matter on any given day what we eat? The following is not for weight loss, but general health.

If for example I ate three sweet potatoes over the course of 6 hours, that puts me at around 120 grams.

If for example I ate: 2 red apples, 1 green/black 85% chocolate bar and 2 tablespoons of raw honey (breakfast, lunch, diner) I am at around 120 grams.

Again, vitamin/mineral aside, does it make a difference? Granted the insulin reaction will be far swifter in example 2, but the numbers are still very manageable.

I am asking, because if we were to treat carbs as sugar it becomes mentally simpler to manage. Granted the fructose element still exists, in that sense, carbs do differ, but in the two examples above the fructose count is not THAT different.

What are your thoughts?

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Why are you trying to hit a certain #?

rkd80 is offline Member
    I want to keep the overall carb count lower than 150 for health reasons, but it is more of a range than a #; I want to be fat-adapt, maintain non-fluctuating insulin levels and keep inflammation low.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkd80 View Post
    I want to keep the overall carb count lower than 150 for health reasons, but it is more of a range than a #; I want to be fat-adapt, maintain non-fluctuating insulin levels and keep inflammation low.
    Similar enough effect to not worry bout it between those 2 choices. Optimally your going to vary your carbohydrate sources just as you vary your fat and protein sources, so it doesn't need to be one or the other.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Mix it up, don't stress the minor details and starve out the system ocassionally to let your body scrape out the bottom of the barrel, this will stimulate your fat metabolism and exercise your immune system just like your body was designed to do.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Fluctuating insulin levels are good. Why try to avoid fluctuations?

Get your carbs from whole foods. Don't sweat the details
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkd80 View Post
    So I was wondering, from a purely carb/sugar/glucose perspective, does it matter on any given day what we eat? The following is not for weight loss, but general health.
    For general health wouldn't it be better to get all the carbs from vegetables, and perhaps a few fruits. It also maintains low/stable blood sugar levels.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    For general health wouldn't it be better to get all the carbs from vegetables, and perhaps a few fruits. It also maintains low/stable blood sugar levels.
    Low/stable blood sugar levels are not inherently bad, consistently high/unstable blood sugar levels are.