Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exhausted- what happened to my energy?! page

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member

Exhausted- what happened to my energy?!

Primal Fuel
    I don't know if this is the Low Carb flu or what...

I was feeling great: started the Blueprint at the beginning of March, but went completely off the rails over Easter- lots of travel, family stress, and packing up the house took their toll. I have been getting back on track, and lost the pounds I had re-gained during my lapse fairly easily.

Still- I haven't been getting the weight or inch loss others have been getting. Part of that is that I wasn't cleared to be active (I messed up my back moving boxes.) I thought that maybe I should cut my carbs a little- maybe that would do the trick. So I have been shooting for around 50 a day, and avoiding fruit. I eat around 1800 calories a day- 60-70% fat, the rest is pretty much protein and my 50 g. carbs. I have quite a bit of weight I would like to lose- at least 50 lbs.

The chiropractor finally cleared me for light exercise last Thursday- I did some walking pretty much every day. But the past three days- I haven't done anything- I have been exhausted. This contrasts pretty heavily with how I felt when I initially started- like I could fly if I wanted to. The past three days, I estimate that I have, between a good night's sleep and the involuntary naps I take whenever I sit down, slept at least 12 hours a day. Nothing is getting done, and my husband is starting to worry, because this is really out of character for me.

Anyone else experience this? I am thinking I might need to up my carbs...or should I just wait and see/power through it?
    Last edited by Lady Grok; 04-28-2010 at 04:38 PM.

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Funny - my first reaction was to decrease the carbs...

Post your diet on a typical day.

This worked out to: 1,840 cal, 54 carbs, 142 g fat 99 g. protein. Things are a little thrown off here due to the "bacon incident" at lunchtime! Otherwise, it's pretty representative of what I am eating.

Breakfast:
    Egg, large- Omega 3, 2 serving
    Smoked Salmon (lox), 3 oz
    Sushi Nori, Raw Untoasted
    Cream Cheese, 30 grams
    Artichokes, fresh, 1 artichoke

Lunch: (I went a little overboard with the bacon!)
    Bacon, 1 unit, cooked (yield from 1 lb raw meat) 732
    Black Olives, 13 jumbo

Dinner:
    Italian Sausage, pork, 0.5 link, 4/lb
    Swiss Chard, 1 cup, chopped
    Bacon grease, 1 tsp

Snack:
    Trader Joe's Greek Yogurt, 1 cup
    Ultimate Chia Life Chia Seed, 1 serving

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    I'm with Suki; upping carbs might give you a bit of a short-term boost but they will definitely drag your energy down long-term, not to mention skew your hormones towards weight gain and muscle loss.

I've noticed my body goes in cycles. I'll be at the top of my game for a few days, then about average for a while, and then I'll slump for a couple of days. As much as we wish otherwise, our bodies can't always get stronger, leaner, and more energetic day after day.

Another thing that might help your energy levels, perhaps counter-intuitively, is intermittent fasting. If you're having three meals a day every day plus snacks, the mere act of constant digestion could be wearing you down. If you haven't already, try loading up a bit on one meal and then skipping the next meal or two. I almost always feel massively energized when I'm 12-24 hours into a fast.

In any case, three days of slump isn't a cause for panic -- although I know it often feels that way when you're expecting progress. When I have a string of off days I start getting paranoid that I'm going to get all weak and fat like I was four months ago, even though that never happens, thank goodness.

EDIT: I have to say your diet looks great, although some people report problems with even small amounts of dairy once they go primal.

Hahaha! The bacon incident! Love. That is a lot of bacon! I would say that your diet looks fine and if you've been at it for a few weeks and you're not seeing results - you should change something. Despite what a lot of people say, sometimes you need to create a caloric deficit to see results. That doesn't seem like enough food for the calories, IMHO, and it's possible that you're underestimating even that. Is that 50 g total carbs or net? I never thought about asking that question but it seems some people use net carbs. Either way, I'd start by reducing carbs - maybe to 30 g.

If you've only been at it for a week or two or three... give yourself some time - many people take a while to get acclimated. And I believe that cutting your carbs will expedite that process.

How old are you?

And I'm with Timothy: intermittent fasting por vida!

Maybe just start by skipping breakfast a day or two a week. That really, really kicked my weight loss into gear. And now I IF daily.

Well, it sounds like I should keep at it! Thanks guys. I have been a little off-kilter about it, especially since my pull-up bar arrived today, so it is time to start stepping up the exercise.

I have been experimenting with IF- especially in the mornings, and I do like the fact that I don't feel beholden to immediately eat when I wake up. Most of my IF over the last few days has been involuntary- yesterday I ate a snack when I got home, then slept through lunch AND dinner (and ate two hamburger patties when I woke up at 11 PM!) I do feel perkier today, so maybe it is just a cyclical thing.

Tim: I am making an effort to cut back on the dairy, I usually have the Greek Yogurt once or twice a week. I just couldn't face losing fruit and dairy all in one go!

Suki- Oh! I am 35...and that's total carbs .

And yes, it was a total pound of bacon (and it was delicious!) Looking back on it, that was probably a pretty salt-heavy day! I'll try to guesstimate a little better- I have been calculating with the Sparkpeople log, and they tend to support CW, and I think my fat-eating ways freak them out!
    Last edited by Lady Grok; 04-28-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: adding age (gulp)

Fitday for the win. I far prefer it to sp.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    What is your exercise routine?

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't know zip, but just to throw in an idea: looks to me like a lot of sodium here. How's your potassium?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast