Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhausted- what happened to my energy?! page 2

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey Vick- Up to recently, not too much. I have a fairly active job (herding small children). It's mainly moderate exercise- I was under a "no heavy lifting/exercise" edict from my doctor and chiropractor until last week. I tend to walk a lot, whenever I get the chance. I do wear a GoWearFit which dates back to the days I was trying to follow CW- it says I burn around 2800 calories a day. That's without the trip to the gym, which would typically (depending on what I was doing) bump my calories burned up to 3500, give or take. I know, I know it's not about calories, but that at least sort of gives me a "benchmark" to explain all this craziness!

I am more worried about the energy dip than the weight not moving- I've been on diets since I was 12, and this definitely feels different in a positive way. I have been dithering a lot, not wanting to fall into my usual "chronic cardio, 45 minutes on the elliptical" way of thinking. I know Mark has a fitness plan coming out, which I am anxiously awaiting. In the meantime, I just got my pull-up bar from Amazon.com today, and was gearing up to try some SimpleFit- even if it means I just have to hang there until I have the upper body strength to do one lone pull-up! I am also interested in trying Shovelglove, just to mix thing up. My husband reports that there is an 8lb. sledge in the shed which I am welcome to use. He keeps threatening to paint the handle in girly colors for me. I am thinking that once I up the exercise, my body will finally get with it. I build muscle fast, and am looking forward to seeing results.

Helen: What's potassium? Actually, I looked into it, and am probably (albeit, accidentally) getting enough- through my multi-vitamin, tomatoes, greens, and the yogurt. Unless Google is a Big Fat Liar... I know, once I posted this, I was struck by the sodium levels. I do drink a lot of water, and have low blood pressure, much to the consternation of my doctor who just wants to label me "hopeless fatty" and stick me in a high cholesterol/blood sugar/fatty liver box. (I know, I am looking for a new doc!) I should probably get a better representative menu- the 1 lb. of bacon is a bit of a one-off, mainly because I know that if it is cooked, I will somehow rationalize eating it. I can post another sample menu if you guys want- I just grabbed the first one that appeared.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post
    I don't know zip, but just to throw in an idea: looks to me like a lot of sodium here. How's your potassium?
    I think its sodium too. How much salt is on the bacon. I had a binge on cheap bacon and consumed way more salt than I usually do since the bacon was salted.

The bacon (as bacon goes) isn't too bad- Nieman Ranch Applewood smoked uncured. It was about 60% of the RDA for sodium that day.

Here's another sample meal from the same timeframe:

Breakfast: IF

Lunch: Primal Beef Curry
    Ground beef, 8 oz
    Onions, raw, 0.1 cup, chopped
    Tomato products, Hunts Diced Tomatoes
    Cauliflower, cooked, 0.5 cup (1" pieces)

Dinner:

Pork Chops (pork loin), roasted, 0.5 piece, cooked
    Cauliflower, cooked, 0.5 cup (1" pieces)
    Butter, salted, 1 tbsp 102
    Onions, raw, 3 slice, large (1/4" thick)
    Asparagus, fresh, 1 cup

Snack:
    Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 fl oz (In tea)
    chocolate-covered cacao nibs - kopali organics - 1/2 package, 28 gram(s)

CALORIES CARBS FAT PROTEIN
    Totals: 1,411 44 104 79

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Diva View Post
    The bacon (as bacon goes) isn't too bad- Nieman Ranch Applewood smoked uncured. It was about 60% of the RDA for sodium that day.
    Forget the RDA. What matters is how much you consume regularly and then how much you consumed on that given day.

Processed food, junk food etc is loaded with salt. So if you've gone primal you are eating a lot less salt than you used to regularly. And your body adapts. And then binging on a food high salt could mean you're retaining water.

EDIT: Also, the RDA for salt is probably too high anyway.

Well- the good news is, after three days of virtual narcolepsy, I feel great today! Lots of energy, nice and alert. Maybe my body was just dealing with some kind of stressor, (I just read a notice at work- strep is going around. GAH!) Maybe it was a "rebuilding phase". In any case, I appreciate all the good advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12