Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys think of all the naysayers? page 4

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I eat very little processed food myself and I avoid everything that comes from a bakery, with the exception of some cake now and then. I also go very low on sugar. In general most people are just concerned of making their food as tasty as possible; the taste is everything and the health secondary at best. Then you have a minor group of people within all kind of eating styles that tend to overthink the health aspect of eating, losing focus on what really count, and going astray in minutiae. But basically; food is fuel for the body, and what fuel combination that works best must be determined on the needs of the individualů

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I usually just tell people that I'm a health nut and they get it. Although I eat more carbohydrate than most on this board (loads of fruit, maple syrup, raw honey, coconut sugar, white rice, etc.), I still follow the basic tenet of preferring real food over processed junk.

Many people simply don't understand the connection between what they eat and how they feel, which is why they lash out at others who eat healthily. They tend to perceive health food as a trendy luxury that has nothing to do with energy levels, skin quality, mood, etc.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    Many people simply don't understand the connection between what they eat and how they feel, which is why they lash out at others who eat healthily. They tend to perceive health food as a trendy luxury that has nothing to do with energy levels, skin quality, mood, etc.
    That's because they see so many unhealthy people loading up on "health foods" and staying sick.

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    I'm already down over 20 lbs and weight is pretty much falling off me. I will let the results speak for themselves and ignore the naysayers.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    What I'd LIKE to tell them, when they are telling me I will get 'so fat' from primal, or that it's unhealthy, or any comments anyone makes ever about what I am eating because it is none of their business, is simply:

Oh really? So that's why I am actually just a projection of a thin woman, whereas my real self is being crane lifted out of my apartment somewhere.
    Why do so many people want to tell you what you're doing will make you fat- when it obviously hasn't? Especially when their diet clearly isn't working. That really tempts the snark.
    If you're thin, SADs will think it's in spite of your diet, not because of it. They'll say, "Oh, if you can eat fat and stay thin, then you must have good genetics. Oh woe is me, I wish I could be so lucky, but I guess I'll have to soldier on *sigh* [sucks down sugar-laden Yoplait]."
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

What do I think of the naysayers?

Not much.

Megatron is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    If you're thin, SADs will think it's in spite of your diet, not because of it. They'll say, "Oh, if you can eat fat and stay thin, then you must have good genetics. Oh woe is me, I wish I could be so lucky, but I guess I'll have to soldier on *sigh* [sucks down sugar-laden Yoplait]."
    That's it exactly. It makes no sense, it's frustrating, and self defeating. Their loss, I guess.

Most people "on a diet" will make themselves eat food they hate the taste of (on the logic that delicious food must be bad for you), or they don't eat much of anything. Obviously this makes them cranky, and they get even crankier when it doesn't work. So these people are totally puzzled when they see someone losing weight by cheerfully eating bacon and other delicious "fattening" foods. It doesn't compute. They can't make sense of it. They convince themselves that the primal person is just luckier than they are or has more willpower (how much willpower does it take to eat bacon?!) Honestly, I don't have much sympathy for people who'd rather stay fat and hungry than consider new information.

CradlingaLion is offline Member
    the logic that delicious food must be bad for you
    This.

If you break down and eat some Keebler shortbread or Chips Ahoy cookies during a weak moment, you'll realize that they're not delicious at all, even if you're starving.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    But eating bland and untasty food when losing weight is a proven method that works...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast