Thread: Lean body weight??? page

Eve2206 is offline Junior Member

Lean body weight???

Primal Fuel
    Hi

I hope someone here can advise. I am middle aged female, 5 feet tall and weighing around 152 pounds. I haven't weighed myself since a week before Christmas as it's just depressing really!

I have been reading lots of stuff on the internet about lean body weight. Want I wanted to know was how I determine this. And when I do, what is it telling me. One site indicated that it would be around 95 pounds for my height etc. Does that mean I am supposed to weigh 95 pounds plus 20% on top for fat?? So in total around 115 pounds?

I guess I should weigh around 8.5 stones which is 119 pounds so it must be about right. But getting down to 20% fat is going to be hard.

Exercise is not top of my list of things to do right now - so many other things to think about - but if I do get back into it then it's likely to be swimming (very slow and inefficient so I work harder, lol) and walking. I used to do karate and running, but those days are now behind me. Knees not up to it.

I'm also a vegetarian, just to complicate things. But I remember reading Mark's carb curve a couple of years ago and I do seem to lose weight at a rate of 2-3 pounds a week when I stay within the 50-100 carbs a day. But I struggle to eat enough calories as I don't like too much added fat etc.

Fish might have to be brought onto the menu, and eggs - I feel queezy when I think of eggs and fish, but I can't see any way round it. I tried the MacDougall diet for a couple of days but was so hungry.

Definitely an eating disorder going on here. I only gained weight in my mid-forties when I stopped the karate and running.

I realise this post doesn't relate to Paleo much, but the principle of it I am in agreement with, ie eating unprocessed and home cooked healthy foods, just no meat in my case.

thanks - hope someone can advise on the fat % and the lean body weight (or have I answered my own question).

Eve

Hi, forgot to mention that I also do IF until mid-late afternoon most days. Not intentional, just works out that way because I'm not hungry. But when I'm not watching my food intake, all the damage is done in the evenings and it's usually sweet food - really bad habit but can't resist dessert. On my 'non-meat' primal diet, I can't eat anything sweet - maybe a SF jelly or a couple of teaspoons of yoghurt.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    The site you said you use, what inputs do you give it for you to figure out what your lean body mass is?
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Zach is offline Banned
    LBM for a 5' woman would probably be 85lbs at an average muscle mass. Anywhere from 105-125 would probably be a healthy body weight.

Those are just guesses but probably pretty close.

There are other ways to lose fat then a low carb diet with added animal foods. High carb/low fat can work as well, just depends on the quality of food, what works for you and other factors like stress, sleep and exercise. I do think that a bit of animal food would be a good idea, at least some dairy. Eggs and fish would certainly help. I do no think that IFing is doing you any favors.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Eve, I cannot envisage adopting primal and remaining vegetarian at the same time. For me, it has been the whole package of primal eating (and to a lesser extent the exercise, rest, play etc) that has given me the improvements in health, vitality, energy, and weight loss/strength gain that I have experienced. As I see it, some of us must battle addictions to unwholesome things, others have aversions to foods that we in fact require.

For me, dropping the grains and processed oils out of my otherwise reasonably wholesome diet was the small "tweak" that made the great difference.

For you, it may be a case of adding IN animal products that brings your diet and ultimately your health up to scratch.

Best wishes.

PS getting down to 20% bodyfat is not "hard" when faithfully following the primal blueprint.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I have friends who are vegetairan and 'primal' and one of them dosn't eat eggs by themselves as she thinks they are icky.

I don't really consider it primal, but hay ho, each to their own. Protien mainly comes from cheese, yogert, nuts and quorn for her, and it has worked for weight loss. If you are gonna go lower carb then you do need to up the % of your calories you get from fat, otherwise you may never poop again but with nuts and cheese that really isn't hard for most people.

Best of luck to ya
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Thank you all for your responses - much appreciated. I guess I'm just more the 'gatherer' than the 'hunter'. I will add in eggs and fish for now. I've added in eggs when I've done this before and it works for me, I do drop the weight but put it all back on again when I add back all the junk. But I'm sick of this yo yo'ing way of eating. So I've decided to keep my diet as clean as possible from now on and ditch this excess weight for good. It's not just about vanity (although that plays a big part) but health as well - being only 5 foot I'm not physically geared up for carrying a load of fat.

I realise I'm not truly primal but by reading this site over the last couple of years I've dropped most of the grains out of my diet, and other things. I'm taking the view that if I can dig it up, pluck it from a tree, etc then it's generally ok. I'm avoiding (generally) rice and pasta and sticking to root veggies. But I do need filling low carb food and that's where I need to add the fish and eggs and a bit of tofu, beans and so on. I need to increase calories but stay within the 50-100g carbs daily. I know I can go over the 100g a bit and still feel ok. So I will add more fat somehow.

The reason I prefer this site to a more dedicated 'low carb' diet site, is that the recommendations about what you should focus on in changing your lifestyle are more in tune with what I believe. It's not about low carb but about change. High carb eating does not agree with me at all, not even with very low fat. And I want to look at this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I remember doing Weight Watchers once and failed miserably when I realised that I could eat six Mars Bars for my 18 points!!!

I will let you know how I get on with the fat % as I believe I can achieve that now. I don't know which site I went on before, but it was probably a body building site! Thanks again for the input.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eve2206 View Post
    I will add in eggs and fish for now.
    Really, that's the whole thing right there. YOu can be primal indefinitely without eating beef and chicken at all.

over the last couple of years I've dropped most of the grains out of my diet, and other things. I'm taking the view that if I can dig it up, pluck it from a tree, etc then it's generally ok.
    Yeah, this is the other side. Stop eating flours and oils made sfrom grasses and you're good to go.

But I do need filling low carb food and that's where I need to add the fish and eggs and a bit of tofu, beans and so on. I need to increase calories but stay within the 50-100g carbs daily. I know I can go over the 100g a bit and still feel ok. So I will add more fat somehow.
    There's a maximium upper limit of the amount of protein you can taken in. So really, carbs and fat are inversely related to one another. When carbs go down, fat goes up. And vice versa. Suggestions to easily sneak in more fat: fry food in ghee, eat the skin off the fish.

It's not about low carb but about change. High carb eating does not agree with me at all, not even with very low fat. And I want to look at this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I remember doing Weight Watchers once and failed miserably when I realised that I could eat six Mars Bars for my 18 points!!!

I will let you know how I get on with the fat % as I believe I can achieve that now. I don't know which site I went on before, but it was probably a body building site! Thanks again for the input.
    One thing I would say, is that what you weigh matters not at all. Being healthy is about two things, adding (functional) muscle and reducing fat. When you add muscle, you will get heavier. I personally think that things like waist measurement and bf% are much better indicators of health than the scale.

In terms of exercise, there are a whole host of bodyweight exercises you can do in the privacy of your living room, like pushups and squats.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Thanks MagicMerl. I haven't weighed myself since before Christmas. Like you say the scales don't always tell you what you want to know. The way I see it, if I can stand in front of a mirror and it all jiggles when I move, then I'm carrying too much fat. So I won't weigh myself for a while. I'm using a tape measure though. And will increase the exercise - dancing, swimming, walking, and small indoor weights. I'm really looking forward now to sorting myself out once and for all and getting active (and alive) again.