Thread: I have Primal questions, answers please... page

Sweet~Almond is offline Junior Member

Cool I have Primal questions, answers please...

Primal Fuel
    Hi, my name is Kelli, I am new to primal - 3weeks exactly! Doing good, feel better then I ever have and down 10 pounds. I did give up all refined carbs, sugar and even sugar substitute (Stevia, Splenda, Truvia). I am all primal.
    I have searched several PALEO sites including this one and read the 21 day primal blueprint but still have some questions that I do not want to wonder about, one site says one thing and another site says different? help!

#1. I have been primal for 3weeks - this whole week I have had a horrible headache, still drinking my 1-2 cups black coffee (gave up coffee mate creamer and sugar). I do use regular table salt (always have)any idea why the headaches?

#2.Bacon: IS it ok or is NOT or is it in moderation? I am struggling to find Nitrate free bacon.

#3. Sweet Potatoes - if trying to loose weight is this OK in moderation?

#4 condiments: Is ketchup, BBQ sauce and most sauces ok if they are sugar free/fructose free?

Thank you in advance for the clarification and answers

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    #1 -- You may be experiencing "carb flu" still. Give it time.

#2 -- Sure, whatever, eat bacon if your body likes it. I love it and go through just shy of 2 packs of no-added-nitrate/nitrite bacon every week. (I get Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon.)

#3 -- Sure. It's a good source of nutrient-dense carbs. If you want to lose weight, just follow Mark's carbohydrate curve.

#4 -- Make your own condiments for ideal nutrition; however, if you want to use pre-made store-bought stuff, read labels. If you can't pronounce or identify what's in the ingredient list, skip it.

#5 -- Even though you only asked four questions, I can't stress this enough... don't overcomplicate things! Simply read the PB book, listen to your body, and learn from how your body is reacting to these changes. You'll be fine, and we'll all be here to help.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Good first post and great advice from MissJecka.
    I'm 3 weeks into again myself. I did 4 months last year before I fell of the primal wagon last summer. I can also emphasize don't overcomplicate things! That's where I really went wrong last summer.

#1 I didn't have the headaches with my first two weeks of carb flu. Just tired all the time. But I also never consumed much raw sugar. If you did, that's probably the source of your headaches and it will surely pass.

#2 I usually eat a couple strips of bacon every morning and every once in a while crumble it up in something. It's one food I never get tired of. If you're eating a variety of primal meals there is probably very little chance you'll overdo the bacon. If finding nitrate free bacon is a problem maybe you have a butcher shop that can slice you up some pork belly?

#3 Can't really relate to sweet potato moderation. Not one of my favorites. But who knows, I'm crock potting a pork loin right now with sweet potato, onions, and Granny Smith apples and it's smelling pretty damn good.

#4 Sisson has a recipe book out with recipes for Sauces, Dressings, and Toppings that I've found invaluable. All the processed stuff is pretty much crap from what I can tell and it really isn't that hard to make them yourself. They just won't last in the frig' for months like the stuff you find in the grocery. But then isn't that really a good thing?
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet~Almond View Post
    Hi, my name is Kelli, I am new to primal - 3weeks exactly! Doing good, feel better then I ever have and down 10 pounds. I did give up all refined carbs, sugar and even sugar substitute (Stevia, Splenda, Truvia). I am all primal.
    I have searched several PALEO sites including this one and read the 21 day primal blueprint but still have some questions that I do not want to wonder about, one site says one thing and another site says different? help!

#1. I have been primal for 3weeks - this whole week I have had a horrible headache, still drinking my 1-2 cups black coffee (gave up coffee mate creamer and sugar). I do use regular table salt (always have)any idea why the headaches?

#2.Bacon: IS it ok or is NOT or is it in moderation? I am struggling to find Nitrate free bacon.

#3. Sweet Potatoes - if trying to loose weight is this OK in moderation?

#4 condiments: Is ketchup, BBQ sauce and most sauces ok if they are sugar free/fructose free?

Thank you in advance for the clarification and answers
    Do get the book "The Primal Blueprint", it answers a lot of questions.
    #1 Give it time. I think for me the 'carb flu' lasted 2 weeks, but I was so sick I really can't say. You'll get past it and feel much better.
    #2. All the bacon you want. Pork belly is the same thing, but uncured and just as good.
    #3 Well - - not if you really want to loose weight. But if you need to while adjusting a little is OK.
    #4 Read the Ingredients list very carefully. In the U.S. they usually contain things you don't want. Look at Mark's receipes for althernatives, and the receipe forum.

A great welcome to you. Hope you stay a long time. As long as you do you'll definately loose weight.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What a great start Kelli. May your headache leave soon so you can fully enjoy all the other primal benefits.