Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ****** dog attack ******* page

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member

****** dog attack *******

Primal Fuel
    Beware - long and involved story - move onto another thread now - if you do not do long and involved..........

okay so a wee bit of background........
    We live in a wee gaggle of 10/12 acre blocks.
    Neighbour has foxy/jack russell cross dog called AAA
    Whenever I go to neigbours house AAA comes at me hackles up teeth bared, think viscous nasty dog attack !!!!!
    Solution - I don't visit neighbour. I have never done anything nasty to this dog, I used to baby sit the dog and play and have fun with dog, dog has never actually bitten me.
    I am presuming AAA is very territorial - hence my solution....................

Now for the actual problem.........
    on the other side of my neighbour lives Bob and Dotty (not their real names as I am sure you can tell). Bob and Dotty have a 10 year old daughter called Meesha. Bob, Dotty and Meesha share a driveway with 6 other families.
    Anyhoo the last 10 acres off the driveway lives AAA.
    SO after school Meesha gets dropped off on main road by school bus and walks up the shared driveway to her house.
    When she nears her house - on two occassions, AAA has come out of its own property, doing the whole nasty teeth baring, raised hackles thing and gone for Meesha.
    Meesha has managed to run to the wooden fence, climb up out of reach, with AAA chomping at her ankles, and jumping up at Meesha.
    AAAs owner finally hears commotion and calls AAA back into property, not having seen anything that has gone on..................
    Bob and Dotty have explained situation to AAAs owner, but have also asked me for advice - what to do if it happens again.
    Okay obvious answer is call the Police. But I don't think that anything can be done unless skin has been compromised. And yes I know this is not MY problem, but we are talking a defenceless kid here.
    So my question to the group is this . How do we as an adult defend ourself against nasty teeth baring hackle raised dogs - big or small.................. and whilst you are at it - how does a child defend themselves ?????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Okay obvious answer is call the Police.

...? My first thought was, go knock on the door and tell them, "AAA hasta go."

They can handle that or the block can.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

oh yes they have been told that this is happening, and I am concerned that it will happen again. This dog is like their kid !!!!!!!

...small steps....

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't handle the problem with a child any differently either. Either restrain the dog and make it so that we are safe from fucking attack in our own yards, or we will do this. As in kill and bury it.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

okay so what I am wondering is
    you have advised AAAs owner what the animal is doing
    neighbour promises to keep AAA inside at certain times during day
    but another incident happens -
    so how does this wee kid, me or whoever deal with this thing that is coming at you. Teeth baring, hackles raised, attacking little DOG ????
    Kicking out at it isn't going to do much, bending down and hitting at it is then going to present your face for it to bite, so how does one defend itself against an attack of this sort ?????

...small steps....

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    pepper spray
    vinegar or lemon juice in a spray bottle

let AAA's owners know this is what you/the kid/neighbors are having to do to keep safe from attack

or just tell them you'll be carrying around pepper spray/ lemon juice or vinegar in a spray bottle so they do something about dog's crappy behavior
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Start carrying a big stick or bat with you. Maybe she leaves it at the end of the drive when she gets on the bus and picks it up on her way home again. Show her how best to use it and have her practice on a can or bucket so that she will know what to do if she needs to. I had an issue with one of my male turkeys last year, and started carrying a stick with me when entering the pen until we got around to killing him ( he was yummy by the way). Let the owners know that she will be protecting herself and that if AAA gets hurt/ killed that it is their fault for not containing him. Not sure of your laws, but filing a police report ahead of time can be helpful to make sure all parties know what is expected. I have big sled dogs and know that if they get out and cause trouble that it is my fault, whether accidental or not. Best of luck to both you and that child!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    This is another great time for apple cider vinegar. We unfortunately have a less than pleasant lab/Pittbull (we love her, so we keep her from th public) the ACV stops her in her tracks. Get the little girl a bottle ( windex size) for her back pack, she just needs to spray it at he dog...preferably face once..chances are dog will not bother her again, if it does, she likely will just need to show the bottle to dog. Nice thing is, this is a cheap and friendly alternative. All I have to say to my dog is "I am getting the bottle" she corrects herself.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    1. dont run. stand your ground and in a clear voice while you look the dog in the eye and say NO! Dont scream it, say it loud and strong. Running just makes you prey.

2. call the police and report a dog attack.
    3. tell the owner you called the police.
    4. if you have to, dont half heartedly shake your foot at it, boot it in the head/ribs hard. or learn to use a club long enough to hold at waist height and touch the ground.
    5. if the dog is actually attacking and not making a territory display, kill the damn thing. Then call the police. If the dog is just being territorial, stand up to him, be the boss and if he backs down give him a cookie/hot dog and make sure he knows that you, as the boss, approves. It will respect you, next time make him sit and give him a reward. you will have a friend in short order.

It is hard to know the difference but do not ever run from a dog. If you have to bash it, go for the nose, often 1 hit is enough.

The dog may be reacting to it's owners reaction to their neighbors, if you are not friends and the dog has not seen you as friends of his owners then you are strangers and he is doing his job as he sees it. If the owners are abusive idiots and are making the dog viscous then have animal control remove it as a danger.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Get a wee taser gun

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast