Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: ****** dog attack ******* page 5

momrn is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah, sorry, but that dog would chase my kid only once. The owners would keep the dog restrained or it would be gone if it happened a second time.

Kids should be prepared to deal with stuff, but to put the burden of protecting herself against a known threat? What if she fails? I guess she'll learn, right? Nope, afraid those dog owners would not be happy to see me darken their door. And I promise you that dog would learn who was the real lead b*tch and not to mess with my pup.

I have a dog. I love her to pieces. She is my little sweetie. But any kid's safety is more important than her.

firemanswife is offline Junior Member
    I agree with Warmbear,running makes you prey. Even turning your back does. I have faced many dogs, large and small including pits and JR's (own a JR). Face the dog. If it is not attacking remain where you are, facing them, stand your ground and watch. As soon as AAA takes a step back Meesha should take confident step forward, the whole time thinking tough brave thoughts. She should only speak if she can do so in a deep confident voice telling AAA "NO!" AAA will most likely take another step back because once the first one is made you have won and the dog is submitting. This may have to be done on more than one occasion but eventually AAA may realize his place and behave for her even if he won't for his owners.
    I would like to add that attitude is important. I am a fighter (run too slow to fly) so my general attitude when dealing with unsavory animals or humans is one of I will hurt you if you cross that line. I love animals and enjoy the company of most humans but I am not a pushover or a victim. I had one incident where a pit was coming at me and my first thought was "get closer and I will gladly rip your throat out." Dogs can sense that kind of energy and wisely choose to avoid it.
    Last edited by firemanswife; 02-24-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Which reminds me of another tip - never let an unfamiliar dog get behind you. If you have to spin like a freaking top, keep your front (dominant) or side (neutral) toward them. A lot of dogs that aren't super aggressive will try to get behind you so that you're in a submissive (according to dogs) stance and THEN they'll try to bite you. Keeping your back away from them, whether by constantly changing position or backing up against a wall, will help a lot.
    Yes, I very well know the strategy of the dogs, they usually go around you first, and then they charge from behind! But I have my anti-dog strategy prepared as well, so when a suspicious dog passes me, I turn my head just a little to the side so I can see what going on behind, and when the savage wolf wannabe attack, I give it a solid kick-back that hit it straight on his jaw, or nose, with the backside of my heel! I have lately been pretty good in doing that kick-back, but I have never hit so hard as I did a few weeks ago...

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    wow - I cannot believe this fantastic feed back. I never knew about the front, side and back positions with dogs going around etc.....
    I have spoken with the council, so AAA is now on record. And I will pass all these great ideas onto Meesha's parents tonight.
    Here is hoping that the neighbour HAS gotten the message - but sadly I really doubt it. And hes moving to Aussie - sometime this year - SORRY AUSTRALIA
    At present Meesha is being escourted up the drive morning and night, but this is definately not ideal.
    I shall keep you posted.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    wow - I cannot believe this fantastic feed back. I never knew about the front, side and back positions with dogs going around etc.....
    I have spoken with the council, so AAA is now on record. And I will pass all these great ideas onto Meesha's parents tonight.
    Here is hoping that the neighbour HAS gotten the message - but sadly I really doubt it. And hes moving to Aussie - sometime this year - SORRY AUSTRALIA
    At present Meesha is being escourted up the drive morning and night, but this is definately not ideal.
    I shall keep you posted.

Alot of fox terriers make sure he noise but are all talk. But seriously. Feed the dog. ..

Acv, pepper etc are not going to improve the behavior. Throw those schmacko treats or cat biscuits over the fence and the dog will be waiting for her every day with wagging tail. Dogs go wacko for schmackos!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    A lot of the advice given is great for adults but no child should be expected to take on the task of stopping an aggressive dog. I've stopped aggressive dogs so I know it's possible but you have to have a very clear mind set and be confident that you are the dominant one.

That dog is out of control and the owners need to be held accountable. And Gwamma if you're concerned for your sheep then more needs to be done, fencing it in is an obvious solution as is shock collar training, but ultimately the dog needs to learn that he is not in charge. Where I live if a dog chases livestock it can legally be shot. BTW I love dogs, a rat terrier even shares my bed. But terriers in general are difficult to train so the owners need to be especially vigilant when it comes to putting them in their place.

smackos........ now there is a thought !!!!!!!

Urban Forager - I totally agree about the stock worrying - but I haven't caught the dog in our paddock. I am just a wee bit suspicious. However I am able to see the back paddocks from upstairs - so whenever I am concerned I do pop upstairs to have a look. As yet no sign of the dog in our paddock.

I have passed all of your feedback onto the Parents who in the interrim are picking Meesha up at the bus stop.
    thanking you all again
    G x

...small steps....

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    take him to the vet and cut his nuts out. That might get him over his territorial behavior. Either way hit him with pepper spray the next time he makes a threat.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

AAA is a wee female who has been de-sexed !!!!!!

...small steps....

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    AAA is a wee female who has been de-sexed !!!!!!
    That’s explains everything, just as de-sexed human females then...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast