Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ****** dog attack ******* page 3

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    She was probably too afraid of the dog and too afraid of hurting it that she didn't use her bag as effectively as I would have.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    possibly Zoes - but also a 10 year old girl is not gonna use a bag as effectively as us either. I do like this idea of mace or pepper or hydrochloric acid - nah just joking Ayla !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Na all good G.
    I guess the dog is just trying to protect its territory, but the owners need to keep it contained then, since its a shared driveway.

yep I do agree, and thats what concerned me. Its not containing itself. I am actually quite concerned about it coming in with our sheep. I have never seen it in our paddock - but there have been a few wee incidences where the sheep have suddenly run to the other end of the paddock etc.....
    I am watching that boundary very closely !!!!!

...small steps....

jammies is offline Senior Member
    While I agree that the owners of the dog must be convinced to control the dog better, in the mean time I think it would be helpful to teach the child the appropriate way to diffuse a dog.

Asking a child to pepper spray or hit a dog with a stick is not a good plan. Children should be taught to stand perfectly still like a tree with their arms folded across their chest looking away from the dog. They should not break this posture even if the dog lunges at them. Running will almost always make things worse. I have never seen a dog continue to harass someone when they do this "tree" posture.

After a few times of doing this the dog will become more docile when they see you. Then you can start dropping small treats towards the dog if you want to continue to improve the relationship.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Really ???? I will also pass this onto the parents Jammies - thanx for your thoughts
    G x

...small steps....

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yes, that can work. Tried it in our neighborhood back when I was a teen.

Dog jumped on and knocked over my sister, who was doing that same position, as was I.

I thereby hit the dog with my book bag twice, and he ran off whining and never bothered us again. My parents also had another talk-to with the dog owners, and said that animal control would be called (not the police, but animal control) to deal with the situation if it ever happened again.

It happened again with a different dog -- same tree posture/etc -- and i hit it with my bag, same results. After that, people kept their dogs IN when we were OUT.

I had a reputation of hitting dogs.

And let me be honest with you. I *love* dogs and -- and get along well with most animals, even spirited ones. But sometimes you do have to defend yourself.

And I think that we have a right to self defense.

If the tree business doesn't work, then pepper spray will.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    While I agree that the owners of the dog must be convinced to control the dog better, in the mean time I think it would be helpful to teach the child the appropriate way to diffuse a dog.

Asking a child to pepper spray or hit a dog with a stick is not a good plan. Children should be taught to stand perfectly still like a tree with their arms folded across their chest looking away from the dog. They should not break this posture even if the dog lunges at them. Running will almost always make things worse. I have never seen a dog continue to harass someone when they do this "tree" posture.

After a few times of doing this the dog will become more docile when they see you. Then you can start dropping small treats towards the dog if you want to continue to improve the relationship.
    I think this is good advice.

While hitting the dog could work, it could also make it more aggressive, I just think that is too risky for a small child to do, just in case the dog does turn nasty. You just never know, so better to be safe rather than sorry.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    maybe wait to try and make friends when kid and her parent of choice is in a car and can just chill with the dog behind a barrier
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

this may be all well and good - BUT - I have experienced this dog coming at me with teeth baring, hackles raised, inbreath growling - it is absolutely horrifying and sorry guys - I am not gonna stand like a tree and wait and see what happens. This is adrenalin pumping scarey stuff - please take my word for it,.
    However I have not gone back visiting these people, and my drive does not connect with theres, the wee girls drive does - so I am scared for her.
    I am a wuss at the best of times, but by crikey I will defend my brood if I have to - stand like a tree, I don't think that I will do that, but I am willing to take this idea to the parents so they can decide what is the best course of action. I do not believe in hitting animals for the hell of it - but when they are coming at you ready to tear your jugular out ................. hhhhmmmm what would Grok do ???????
    Anyway just my ramblings. I think that the Parents have lots of wonderful ideas to work through and I thank you all again for your submissions

...small steps....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast