Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ****** dog attack ******* page 2

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you can see it, can you tape it? Show it to both neighbours and say this is an attack waiting to happen and they are on notice (so up for manslaughter if something does happen) and must rectify it. The kid shouldn't be carrying anything or given any message to do anything that may provoke an attack. Offer the footage to her parents so they can raise it with the police if they want - to seek advice about what the options are. Is it NZ or Australia that has had some terrible maulings and kids being killed by dog attacks in last year or so? Just terrible.

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Report the dog to the council. We call it "council" here in NSW, maybe it's the same in NZ? The city offices. Let the owners know they and the dog have been reported. Put something in the report about "dangerous and unrestrained".

Our elderly cat was mauled to death last month by two dogs from up the street. Next time it could be an unattended child who is on the recieving end.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    For a stick, bat, or sprays to work the dog has to be pretty close, way to close for a 10 year old. If the neighbor has been told and won't or can't keep the dog restrained, it if was my daughter I'd just go out at night and shoot it.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Call the cops; the dog is a nuisance. If the cops get involved, it becomes their nuisance also.

Feed the dog ground beef laced with valium/quaaludes/laxative; just maybe the owners will get the message that it could have just as easily been poison. Take video and get statements from other neighbors. Don't break the law until the law fails you. Until it's resolved, Meesha's parents might just have to meet her at the bus after school.

It's too bad the owners can't be euthanized.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I would try talking to the owners first.
    But its not the dogs fault, its not fair to hurt the dog. Its only being how its people have made it.
    They do need help in re-training it before someone does get hurt though.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    pepper spray
    vinegar or lemon juice in a spray bottle

let AAA's owners know this is what you/the kid/neighbors are having to do to keep safe from attack

or just tell them you'll be carrying around pepper spray/ lemon juice or vinegar in a spray bottle so they do something about dog's crappy behavior
    I agree with this, and I'm also not against kicking the dog away, hitting it with my bback-pack full of books or whatever else need be.

This is because, of course, it is an emergent circumstance. If the owners aren't around and you are being attacked by the dog, you deserve to be able to defend yourself.

Likely, the dog will back off at this point.
    Last edited by zoebird; 02-23-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I think spraying it with water or something might be OK to get it to back off, but anything that might cause it pain, might cause it to get even nastier. Its probably never treated very nicely

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    some dogs, sometimes, get aggressive. if it's really ticked off then water won't do anything
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    The way I see it is this. If the child were being attacked by a person, would we suggest that she not hurt that person, not try to defend herself, or use water?

Pepper spray is ultimately non-damaging but will stop the human/dog from attacking. It's a good strategy if the owners aren't willing to solve the problem.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    pepper spray
    vinegar or lemon juice in a spray bottle

let AAA's owners know this is what you/the kid/neighbors are having to do to keep safe from attack

or just tell them you'll be carrying around pepper spray/ lemon juice or vinegar in a spray bottle so they do something about dog's crappy behavior
    I am going to look into this BO. I didn't actually think of this idea - but it is a very good idea .

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Start carrying a big stick or bat with you. Maybe she leaves it at the end of the drive when she gets on the bus and picks it up on her way home again. Show her how best to use it and have her practice on a can or bucket so that she will know what to do if she needs to. I had an issue with one of my male turkeys last year, and started carrying a stick with me when entering the pen until we got around to killing him ( he was yummy by the way). Let the owners know that she will be protecting herself and that if AAA gets hurt/ killed that it is their fault for not containing him. Not sure of your laws, but filing a police report ahead of time can be helpful to make sure all parties know what is expected. I have big sled dogs and know that if they get out and cause trouble that it is my fault, whether accidental or not. Best of luck to both you and that child!
    This was my first reaction when told of meeshas plight. But then I thought how can a 10 year old weld a stick with an insane crazied dog snapping at her ankles ????? it could be enough to get her safely out of harms way ????

Quote Originally Posted by JennGlob View Post
    This is another great time for apple cider vinegar. We unfortunately have a less than pleasant lab/Pittbull (we love her, so we keep her from th public) the ACV stops her in her tracks. Get the little girl a bottle ( windex size) for her back pack, she just needs to spray it at he dog...preferably face once..chances are dog will not bother her again, if it does, she likely will just need to show the bottle to dog. Nice thing is, this is a cheap and friendly alternative. All I have to say to my dog is "I am getting the bottle" she corrects herself.
    I will also pass this one onto the parents. Could be a runner !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    1. dont run. stand your ground and in a clear voice while you look the dog in the eye and say NO! Dont scream it, say it loud and strong. Running just makes you prey.

2. call the police and report a dog attack.
    3. tell the owner you called the police.
    4. if you have to, dont half heartedly shake your foot at it, boot it in the head/ribs hard. or learn to use a club long enough to hold at waist height and touch the ground.
    5. if the dog is actually attacking and not making a territory display, kill the damn thing. Then call the police. If the dog is just being territorial, stand up to him, be the boss and if he backs down give him a cookie/hot dog and make sure he knows that you, as the boss, approves. It will respect you, next time make him sit and give him a reward. you will have a friend in short order.

It is hard to know the difference but do not ever run from a dog. If you have to bash it, go for the nose, often 1 hit is enough.

The dog may be reacting to it's owners reaction to their neighbors, if you are not friends and the dog has not seen you as friends of his owners then you are strangers and he is doing his job as he sees it. If the owners are abusive idiots and are making the dog viscous then have animal control remove it as a danger.
    Thanx Warm bear. I suppose these little dogs are breed to chase and kill rabbits etc... so running is the natural thing to do - however how does one ingrain that to a 10 year old ????

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    Get a wee taser gun
    Now I actually have a bebe gun - but in the wrong hands can cause quite some damage. Actually I don't have one DD who is living in America has one - so the thought did cross my mind ..........

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    If you can see it, can you tape it? Show it to both neighbours and say this is an attack waiting to happen and they are on notice (so up for manslaughter if something does happen) and must rectify it. The kid shouldn't be carrying anything or given any message to do anything that may provoke an attack. Offer the footage to her parents so they can raise it with the police if they want - to seek advice about what the options are. Is it NZ or Australia that has had some terrible maulings and kids being killed by dog attacks in last year or so? Just terrible.
    Yes Nz has had some horrendous dog attacks over the last few years - and of course that is my concern. I will pass all this advice onto the parents - and they can decide what to do..........

Quote Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
    Report the dog to the council. We call it "council" here in NSW, maybe it's the same in NZ? The city offices. Let the owners know they and the dog have been reported. Put something in the report about "dangerous and unrestrained".

Our elderly cat was mauled to death last month by two dogs from up the street. Next time it could be an unattended child who is on the recieving end.
    I think that I will ring the council tomorrow and make a complaint - so at least they have something on file.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Call the cops; the dog is a nuisance. If the cops get involved, it becomes their nuisance also.

Feed the dog ground beef laced with valium/quaaludes/laxative; just maybe the owners will get the message that it could have just as easily been poison. Take video and get statements from other neighbors. Don't break the law until the law fails you. Until it's resolved, Meesha's parents might just have to meet her at the bus after school.

It's too bad the owners can't be euthanized.
    It actually is too bad that the owners can't be euthanased - however they are looking at moving to Australia _ YEEHAAAAA

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I would try talking to the owners first.
    But its not the dogs fault, its not fair to hurt the dog. Its only being how its people have made it.
    They do need help in re-training it before someone does get hurt though.
    Ayla I actually have baby sat this dog and it was fine at mine. When I have gone onto its property its absolutely gone nuts at me - which is a territorial thing - but this is happening on a shared driveway that the dog doesn't frequent - so its gone outside the territorial perimeters. I don't think they are nasty to the dog, I actually think that its been allowed to get away with too much - just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I agree with this, and I'm also not against kicking the dog away, hitting it with my bback-pack full of books or whatever else need be.

This is because, of course, it is an emergent circumstance. If the owners aren't around and you are being attacked by the dog, you deserve to be able to defend yourself.

Likely, the dog will back off at this point.
    I think she did try to whack it with her backpak Zoes - but AAA just kept on coming -

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I think spraying it with water or something might be OK to get it to back off, but anything that might cause it pain, might cause it to get even nastier. Its probably never treated very nicely
    Hmmmm I actualy don't think that this would work Ayla - only because the dog gets itself so incredibly worked up, Its hackles are raised and its coming at you, teeth bared. This dog means buisness !!!!!

Anyhoo thank you all for your input. I will take all the answers from Mr. Perfidy through to the last post - to the parents to consider.
    But I myself will complain to the Council, I will also look into what mace, lemon, pepper etc..... sprays are available.

This wee girl does not deserve this !

Thank you all
    G x
    Last edited by NZ primal Gwamma; 02-23-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast