Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing Avocados? page

Shelli is offline Senior Member

Freezing Avocados?

Shop Now
    I scored a huge bag of perfectly ripe avos for 3$ today at the store...a major coup considering avos here are generally 3$ each. The son and I cannot, no matter how hard we might try, eat guac or fresh avo in time to use all these beauties up. Can I pop 'em out of their shells, wrap tight, and freeze?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I cut them in half, pop out the pit, spread them out on a sheet pan, little lemon juice squirt, and flash freeze. Then I put them all in a freezer bag together. Take one out at a time. I put it in the microwave and I have a Frozen Roll button. Hitting that for 2 "rolls" is about perfect.

Might be an easier way but this is easy enough.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    If you freeze them, won't they darken like bananas when you defrost them? Honestly, what I would do in your situation is that I would make a PB-ish baked good involving the remaining avocados and freeze that (there's gotta be a recipe out there for avocado chocolate brownies or something).

Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    If you freeze them, won't they darken like bananas when you defrost them?
    A little but not so much that it stops me from using them But then again, I freeze bananas also

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    If you freeze them, won't they darken like bananas when you defrost them? Honestly, what I would do in your situation is that I would make a PB-ish baked good involving the remaining avocados and freeze that (there's gotta be a recipe out there for avocado chocolate brownies or something).

Oh my gawd...avocado chocolate brownies?????

With a sour cream icing???

Must ponder.

Anyway, I will do the trick with the lemon juice and no pits and the quick freeze. I bought a product here last year that was individual packets of frozen avo halves. Pretty good actually, but to replicate that I think I'd need one of those FoodSaver gizmos.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
    one of those FoodSaver gizmos.
    I have one of those, but I don't use it for things like this that I get in and out of fairly frequently.
    Hope it goes well for you!

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    I would mash, and freeze in foodsaver bags. A splash of lime will help with oxidation if you're worried about it. You need all air removed. Tightly wrapped does not sound air tight.

It's the air that turns avocado dark. Even if I make too much guac. I can put in a bowl, press saran wrap right up to the guac and it's perfectly green the next day.

Enjoy!

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Since I have a bountiful avocado tree that gives me about 50 avo's every year, I did an experiment with my Foodsaver vacuum gizmo. I cut some of them in half, took the pit out, and sealed them up; some I scooped out and mashed and added lemon; some I just scooped out and mashed; and some I just scooped out and sealed.

Six months in the freezer and none of them have turned a bit brown and they taste great when I thaw them out. That Foodsaver is one dandy gizmo.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Love the Foodsaver...when the farking thing actually works! I bought mine, used it a few times (ok, not all at once, and I didn't over-work it) and now sometimes the heating element won't work to make the seal. The thing will make it's usual noise for as long as I hold it down (and I also learned that after a certain amount of time it'll give up on it's own) but no seal at all. SO frustrating.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Unamused... often that means you haven't left enough bag to really get in there. Give an extra 1/2 to 1" which feels wasteful, but it won't get a good vacuum and therefore won't seal... Try that anyway... good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast